Avengers Initiative

Chapter 1

"Hello," I asked answering my phone.

"Agent Stark," Director Fury greeted. "I'm gonna need you back. Agent Barton's been compromised. Meet me at Captain Roger's place."

"Yes sir," I said before hanging up. I rushed around my room gathering some clothes and my suit.

"Miss Stark, your car is ready to go," JARVIS said through the PA. "Shall I inform Mr. Stark of your departure?"

Thank you JARVIS," I sighed rushing out of the room. "Just tell Tony that it's a mission and I'll probably be gone for a few days."

"Of course Miss."

I drove through the streets of New York watching people run around. Without my missions I've been helping my brother build Stark Tower and stabilize the Arc reactor energy. Sighing I parked next to the road and made my way to Director Fury.

"May I ask what we're doing here," I asked sticking my thumbs in my jean pockets.

"I'll explain more later," he said. "Right now we need the Avengers."

I leaned against the doorway and watched the soldier beat against the punching bag. I tilted my head as I admired the muscles rippling under his shirt. I shuddered as the bag flew off the chain and across the room.

"Trouble sleeping," Fury asked rhetorically. Rogers glanced over at us before replacing it.

"I slept for 70 years, sir," he said in that sweet voice. "I think I've had my fill."

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world."

"When I went under, the world was at war," he grunted. "I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost."

"We've made some mistakes along the way," Fury admitted. "Some, very recently."

"Are you here with a mission, sir," Rogers asked looking at us.

"I am."

"Trying to get me back in the world?"

"Trying to save it," I spoke softly. He looked up at me, his blue eyes curious.

"HYDRA's secret weapon," he guessed.

"Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you," Fury explained. I flinched when he mentioned my father. "He thought what we think. The Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs."

"Who took it from you," Captain Rogers asked.

"He's called Loki. He's not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know."

"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me."

"Ten bucks says you're wrong," I teased.

"There's a debriefing packet waiting for you back at your apartment," Fury said trying not to smile. "Is there anything you can tellĀ us about the Tesseract that we ought to know?"

"You should have left it in the ocean," he said simply.

"Agent Stark will keep you company tonight and bring you to the base tomorrow," Fury instructed. That got his full attention.

"Stark," he questioned. I nodded to the Director before moving deeper into the room.

"Howard was my father," I smiled. "How about we go up to your apartment?"

"Sure," he agreed. He unraveled the tape around his hands and followed me to the doorway. He pressed the elevator button and gestured for me to enter first.

"Are you always such a gentleman," I asked.

"Yes ma'am," he smiled.

"Just call me Natalia," I laughed. "Preferably just Talia."

"Alright Talia," he grinned. "Then you just call me Steve."

By now we had reached his floor. I exited first then waited for him to upen his apartment. He hurried inside and proceeded to tidy up his already immaculate apartment.

"I'm sorry for the mess," he apologized.

"Steve stop," I laughed dropping my bag by the door. "Your place is lovely."

"Would you like anything to drink," he asked instead. "I've got milk, water, coffee, hot chocolate?"

"Hot chocolate," I asked walking up to the bar. Steve laughed at me but got out everything he needed.

"Can I ask how you became an agent?"

"Um," I hesitated thinking of how to start. "I was 20, so about 10 years ago. There was this guy I was seeing. Thought he was the sweetest person in the world. One day we decided to take a trip to Russia. Sokovia I believe. Instead of staying in town he wanted to hike through the mountains."

"Hey," Steve said softly. He reached over the counter and grabbed my wrists. Looking down I realized my hot chocolate was frozen. Sighing in disappointment I let my hands heat the drink back up. "Something happened in those mountains, I get it. You don't have to talk about it."

"I have to," I said trying to hold back tears. "Director Fury is the only one that knows. I haven't even told Tony but I want to tell you."

"Okay," he said not letting go. He hasn't even said anything about what happened to my drink. Probably figured that's what I was going to explain.

"There was this bunk and in the middle of nowhere," I started.Steve walked around the counter and pulled me over to the couch. We sat down he wrapped an arm around me. "Before I could translate what it said, I was knocked out. When I woke, I was strapped to a surgical table. I don't remember much but what I do remember was full of pain. They injected me with a serum. One morning I woke up and set my pillow on fire. From then on I started tainting my powers. If I didn't cooperate then I was subjected to torture. When I finally got control I snuck out and ran. I made up this lie to explain why I was gone for almost a year. I just told everyone that I was kidnapped and tortured."

"Can you just use fire," Steve asked. I looked up at him, seeing nothing but curiousity and fascination.

"Fire water, earth and air," I clarified. "I can grow or kill plants instantly and heal myself and others."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," he whispered.

"Don't be," I said closing my eyes. I leaned my forehead against his and sighed. "That experience is what made me who I am okay. I wouldn't have met Natasha and Clint. Or you."

"Your brother is Iron Man," Steve chuckled. "You would have met me eventually. Now how about we end tonight on a high note?"

"What do you have in mind Captain," I asked looking up at him.

"I still haven't seen any movies from this time," he admitted sheepishly. I gasped and jerked back. I looked around the room to see if he had any DVDs. I spotted the cabinet and jumped for it. Knowing Coulson he would have gotten the good ones. I finally found the one I wanted and went to pop it into the player, turning on the tv. I hopped back to the couch and sat down next to Steve who handed me a blanket. About halfway through the movie I found myself fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I restarted with it