What I Like About You

13

Calum's POV

We were sitting in the dressing room between interviews. Luke was getting his hair fixed, Ashton was on his phone, and Michael and I were writing a song, toying with some lyrics and melody, as inspiration had struck us.

My phone rang and I looked at the caller I.D., seeing that Kennedy was calling.

"Hey, babe, I-"

"Calum?" A voice that was definitely not Kennedy's came through my phone. I froze.

"U-uhm, yes, this is Calum." I replied.

"Calum, thank god, I was trying to call Luke, but he wasn't answering his phone. This is the girl's grandmother, Rose."

Bile rose in my throat.

"Hi, Rose." I greeted, trying to remain calm. "Is something wrong?"

I felt all of the eyes in the dressing room turn on me and I heard Rose sniffle.

"Calum, there's been an accident."

Everything inside me short circuited then, and I knew I was gripping Michael's arm, I knew Luke had come over to us, I knew all of this, but it all felt like white noise.

"W-what happened?" I ask, choking on the words.

"T-they were walking home from the party and a car h-hit them. He just drove off. I don't... I don't know what to do. I know you're on tour, but is there any way you can come see them? I don't... Ken is in rough shape, Calum. I think you should be here."

"Of course I can." I said without hesitation. "Luke and I will be there as soon as possible, okay?"

"Thank you so much, Calum."

"Of course. See you soon."

I hung up the phone and immediately bent and started to dry heave over the carpet. Luke sat down slowly and rubbed my back.

"What happened?" He asked in a small voice. I tried to ignore the crack at the end.

"W-we have to go." I said, sitting up and grabbing Luke's hand, pulling him up with me.

"Wait." Michael grabbed my wrist. "What is happening, Cal? Where are you going?"

I didn't want to say it. I didn't want to acknowledge it. I swallowed hard and looked at my friends.

"K-ken and J-jaz. They were uhm. T-there was an accident. We need to go now."

"Fuck." Michael dropped my wrist.

I didn't dare look at Luke, but I felt him move, going to grab our backpacks from across the room.

"C'mon." He urged, heading for the door.

I looked at Ashton helplessly. He put his arms around me.

"Go. We'll figure it out here. She's gonna be alright. She's a fighter." He whispered in my ear before letting me go.

I turned and ran with Luke, getting a car to the airport and booking our flight on the way there.

Neither of us said anything to each other as we got to the airport and got on a plane, but I knew we were both thinking the same thing.

We were hoping we weren't going to be too late.