What I Like About You

5

"Jaz, we are going to be late." I groaned at my friend from my place facedown on her bed.

"I don't think you understand, Kennedy. I have to look perfect tonight! I want to make a good first impression, okay?"

"Being late isn't one."

She rolled her eyes at my comment and kept tearing apart her wardrobe. Just then, my phone started ringing.

"Hello?" I mumbled in greeting.

"Hey, Ken, where the hell are you? I want to have a cigarette before the show... wait why does your voice sound so muffled?"

"Because I'm currently facedown on a bed."

"Why are you facedown on a bed and not, like, on your way here 5 minutes ago? Are you okay?"

I chuckled at his concerned tone, but it also gave me butterflies. They were short lived because then Jasmine made a shriek of annoyance.

"What the hell was that? Are you sure you're okay?" Calum asked.

"Yeah. Listen, Cal, I've got to go, but I'll see you after the show, okay? Good luck!"

I hung up the phone and walked over to my friend, putting my hands on her shoulders.

"Sit down." I instructed, guiding her towards the bed as she groaned. I ignored the noise and went over to her clothes, rifling through them, trying to decide what would impress a boy. I picked an outfit from her floor and handed it to her. "Now go get dressed. And please try to calm down. I'm pretty sure Calum now thinks someone was murdered."

Jasmine blushed, burying her face in her hands.

"I'm sorry, I'm just nervous."

"You don't have to be, I promise. If his bandmates are anything like Calum, they're gonna be nice and sweet and you won't have to worry."

"Thanks, Ken."

"Anytime. Now get dressed."

Jasmine laughed and got dressed in the outfit I picked as my phone buzzed with a text from Calum.

you're still alive right??

I laughed out loud before replying.

yeah sorry just a little crisis. see you soon.

His reply was almost instantaneous.

:( hope your okay. see you soon.

I blushed and I looked up to see Jasmine dressed and smiling fondly at me.

"You like him, huh?" She asked softly.

"I think I do." I bit my lip.

"Let's go." She said, looping her arm through mine as we headed to the venue.

We got inside the venue just as the lights were going down and the boys were filing on stage. I laughed as Jasmine grabbed my hand and ran forward, towards our seats. I watched as Calum scanned the seats and smiled when his eyes interlocked with mine. I shot him a discreet thumbs up, signaling that everything was okay, and he smiled, which caused every girl in our area to scream. It made me smile because I knew that that smile was for me.

The show was over way too fast for my liking, because watching Calum on stage was actually very fun. But, it ended with them bowing for the audience, and I grabbed Jasmine's hand, leading her to the backstage entrance. I pulled out our all access stickers as I went and stuck them to our jeans. The security guard gave us a once over, but let us through. I rolled my eyes, but went through the door with Jasmine following.

"Remember to be calm, okay?" I reminded my friend. She nodded just as a familiar figure walked over to us.

"Ken!" Calum cheered loudly. He opened his arms for a hug and I scrunched my nose, shaking my head.

"You're all sweaty." I whined.

"But I haven't seen you in like 6 hours." He whined, pouting.

"I'll hug you after you shower." I said.

Jasmine coughed and I laughed.

"Calum, this is Jasmine. Jaz, this is Calum."

"It's nice to meet you, love. I hear you're a fan." Calum chuckled.

"I am. It's so nice to meet you, too." Jasmine said. I gaped at how calm she sounded.

"Alright, c'mon girls, let's go to the dressing room so we can met the other guys and go back to the hotel so I can shower and get a hug."

I laughed and rolled my eyes before we both followed Calum in the direction of the dressing room.
When we entered the room, it was chaotic. Ashton was running around without a shirt on, Michael was yelling swears at a video game he was playing, and Luke was the most calm, sitting drinking a beer on his phone.

"Oi! Ash, put a shirt on! We have company."

At that, all three boys looked up from what they were doing and froze. Silence ensued.

"Boys, this is Kennedy and Jasmine, girls these are the boys."

"Hi." I greeted, waving at them all.

Luke was the first to come over, going over to stand in front of Jasmine. I would have been offended if it wasn't so darn cute.

"U-uhm. Hi." Luke stuttered out, blushing.

"H-hey." Jasmine replied, looking at her feet.

I looked over at Calum and we both rolled our eyes. Ashton was pulling a shirt on and Michael was turning off his game.

"Can we go back to the hotel now?" Calum whined.

"Yeah, yeah, don't get your panties in a bunch." Ashton replied.

I laughed, knowing I liked these people already.

Calum tried to put an arm around me as we walked out of the venue, but I shrugged him off.

"Shower first." I scolded.

Calum let out a low whine and Michael laughed.

"I like you already." Michael told me. "Putting him in his place."

I shrugged and Calum rolled his eyes.

"Alright, let's go." Ashton said. "Movie night when we get back?"

We all agreed easily and piled into the car. I laughed to myself when Luke and Jasmine sat next to each other, awkwardly blushing and not talking, but looking at each other. This was going to be a long night.