What I Like About You

7

I woke up to someone shaking my arm. I groaned and opened one eye to see Jasmine smirking down at me.

"Get up, Ken, we're gonna be late for school."

I groaned again and Calum shifted from next to me, burying his face in my neck.

"Skip." He whined sleepily.

"Sorry, Pup, but we have a test today." I said softly, stroking his hair. He groaned, but shifted so that I could stand up, stretching my back, cursing myself for falling asleep on the floor.

"Borrow a shirt to change in to." Calum mumbled sleepily.

I laughed, but went over to the suitcase I presumed was Calum's, grabbing a random shirt and going into the bathroom to change. After I changed, I met Jasmine back in the living room, who was waiting impatiently. That's when I noticed Luke stand up and come over to us.

"See you later, yeah?" He said quietly.

Jasmine blushed and nodded quickly, pulling me out the door.

"What was that?" I laughed, raising an eyebrow at my best friend, who was still blushing, but she feigned nonchalance.

"We're going to go out to lunch after our test." She said.

My mouth hung open as she laughed and walked in front of me.

"Wait, tell me what I missed last night." I demanded.

"Well, after you two went to sleep at like 11 o'clock like old people." I rolled my eyes at her teasing before she continued. "The rest of us stayed up and hung out and got to know each other. And then Ashton and Michael went to bed and it was just Luke and I and at first it was awkward, but then we just talked and it felt so natural and we ended up staying up late just talking. He's so sweet, Ken. Like, so sweet."

I smiled at my best friend's gushing over the boy and lopped my arm though hers.

"That's awesome, Jaz. I'm so excited for you."

She grinned and looked over at me, smirking.

"So, tell me about you and Calum."

I sighed and bit my lip, not knowing what to really say.

"I like, really like him?" I said, but it was more of a question than a statement. "Like, he makes me happy and all giddy, and I have a nickname for him for Christ's sake, but like, they leave tomorrow and I'm not sure what's gonna happen, y'know? We haven't exactly talked about if this is gonna carry on past then."

Suddenly, my best friend's face fell and I sighed, leaning my head on her shoulder.

"I hadn't thought about that." She said sadly.

I sighed as we walked up to the school.

"I know, but let's not be too sad now, okay? Let's go do our test and then you go have a great lunch with the cute boy."

She laughed and we went into our classroom, ready to take our test.

xxx


Jasmine finished the test before me, and I sent her a smile as she left the class, probably heading back to see Luke. Once I finished, I went outside my class building to smoke a cigarette, as I had another class in 10 minutes.

Plus, I wanted to de-stress because the test had been way harder than I thought it would be, and I knew I didn't do too well.

I pulled out my phone and my eyes widened when I realized I had multiple text messages from Calum.

Sorry I wasn't very awake this morning. good luck on your test! you'll rock it

ken, where are you?

can we meet up for lunch or something when you finish? i wanna talk.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair before dialing his number.

"Hey!" He answered brightly. "Are you on your way over?"

I sighed, not prepared to let him down.

"Sorry, Pup, but I've got another 2 classes today."

"Really? But I wanted to talk about something important. Can you just skip?"

I ran a hand through my hair in frustration.

"No, Calum, I can't."

It came out harsher than I wanted it to, and I instantly regretted it, biting my lip, pushing back frustrated tears. I was angry at myself, and scared about what was going to happen, and taking it out on Calum, which wasn't fair. I could feel myself pushing him away, putting my walls up like always.

"Woah, woah, Ken, are you alright?"

I shook my head, but realized he couldn't see.

"I uhm... not really. But I've got to go, my class starts soon. I'll see you at your show tonight though, okay?"

"Kennedy-"

I cut him off by hanging up my phone and throwing it in my bag.