Status: Complete

Torn Between Lust and Love

Chapter 1

Everything happened in slow motion. The rain was pouring down, washing away anything that wasn’t tied down. The wind blew everything in every direction. The sky was black as night, cars drove with their headlights on but didn’t go any slower. Mandy ran out of Benedict’s apartment building in tears which inhibited her sight even further. The wind blew her hair into her face and the rain made it stick to her skin. She saw the red light in front of her and started crossing the road. She heard a car’s horn in the distance and looked up, all she saw was two yellow beams heading in her direction and then the next thing she saw was darkness, an eternal blackness.
Wayne was in the recording studio when a call came through for him. His whole world stopped. He ran out the doors of the building and ran straight to his car and sped along the freeway to the airport. It felt like everything was happening in slow motion, the cars moved so slowly passed him despite the speed at which he was travelling. The plane ride took forever and felt like it would never end. He knew that he had limited time and that by the time he got to where he needed to be, it might be too late.
Wayne arrived at the hospital and demanded to see Mandy immediately saying that she was his fiancée and that he had to see her. The doctors took him to her bed where she lay in the ICU with dozens of machines and pipes hooked up to her fragile figure. The girl that lay in front of him looked nothing like the girl he fell in love with. This girl was covered in different shades of blue and purple bruises. Not a bone in her body remained unbroken. Wayne knew that it would take a miracle for her to pull through and survive. “Mr. Carter?” A nurse said as she slipped into the room. Wayne turned to face her. “The hotel sent her belongings over, what should I do with them?” She asked. Wayne exhaled deeply. “Send them to my hotel.” He said and turned back to Mandy. The nurse nodded and left. A few minutes the doctor arrived and asked Wayne to please leave.
Wayne returned to his hotel and sat staring at all Mandy’s suitcases. He shook at his head thinking that she packed way too much clothes for the time that she would’ve been there. She had a tendency to over pack said that she’d rather pack it and not need it than to need it and not have it. He drew the courage to look through her luggage. In her vanity bag he found another envelope with his name written on it in Orange ink.
‘Wayne
Baby, Africa or rather South Africa is so beautiful! I can’t tell you how beautiful it is here! I really miss you and wish that you could be here with me.
I found a production studio today while I was walking around exploring. I met a producer named Benedict, he offered to show me how to make music although I already knew how but I didn’t want to seem rude. He taught me to say ‘hello’ in seven different languages! Can you believe that one person can speak so many languages? I know, it’s crazy and here I think I’m special because I can speak English, Spanish and French. Guess I’m not.
Wayne, I wish you were here. Although I’m nowhere near ready to come home, I feel like I’m closer to finding the reason why I came here than I was yesterday. I hope that I would be able to come home sooner than I anticipated. I really love you Wayne and I miss you more and more every second.
Mandy’
Wayne’s heart sank when he read the letter. He knew Mandy could just send him an email and be done with it, but she wasn’t like that; she was old fashioned. She believed that people didn’t take the time out to write anymore and that emailing someone couldn’t quiet capture the same kind of emotion as a hand written letter did. The letter smelled like her and so did everything else in her bags. He started crying, fearful that he may never get to hear the sound of her sweet, angelic voice again.