Status: Complete

Torn Between Lust and Love

Chapter 3

Wayne returned to the hospital in the morning, but the nurses wouldn’t let him in, saying that there was someone with her already. He looked through the window and saw a man that he’d never seem before sitting beside his fiancée holding her hand. He couldn’t hear what he was saying but he looked pretty upset. Wayne waited for the man to come out before he confronted him. Wayne stopped him as he came out the room. “Who are you?” Wayne asked politely. “Benedict, you’re Wayne, Mandy’s fiancée.” He said softly. Wayne nodded. “You’re the producer she’s been working with?” Wayne asked looking up at the man, he was taller than he was but yet Wayne didn’t feel intimidated. Benedict nodded in agreement. “I’m sorry about Mandy.” He said offering a smile. Wayne nodded and went inside to be with Mandy.
Wayne sat by her bed pleading with her, begging Mandy to wake up, to get better, to come back to him. Benedict came back later that evening when Wayne was still there. When Wayne left, he took his chance to go in. He sat talking to her about this and that, nonsense really. But then he started begging her to come back, he told her that he was sorry that he had lied to her and that he couldn’t bear the thought of having to lose her too. He’d make the decision to leave South Africa and go with her to America if she would just get better. He would take his punishment from God one day for taking another man’s woman as long as he could just be happy and not have to have his heart broken again.
Wayne asked Benedict to join him for dinner that evening. They sat talking about Mandy most of the time but when Wayne asked if Mandy ever mentioned him, he couldn’t and didn’t want to lie. He told Wayne that she did talk about him, but that they never really spent that much time together. Their relationship was strictly professional. He knew that he had lied but he couldn’t tell a man whose fiancée was close to death that she’d never really mentioned him because she was too busy fucking his brains out. Wayne continued asking Benedict about Mandy and what it was like for her here. Benedict knew that Mandy loved it in South Africa and that she had told him numerous times that she wished that she could live there forever but that she wouldn’t be able to bring herself to make the decision to move there permanently. She would miss the US. She would miss the snow in the winter and the excruciating heat in the summer. She would miss everything about her life there. He knew that she realized that if she asked him to move back with her that she would be asking him a lot and that she would be selfish to do so, but she had to ask. He would miss South Africa. He would miss the city he lived in, he would miss his friends, he would miss his family, but he also knew that letting her go back without him would eventually kill him.