The New Age

Part 2

The sun has fully set, leaving the woods black. Darkness is the perfect time to hunt for prey. Everyone is so fragile in the dark.
"It's time." I whisper into the darkness. "Let's go!" I roar to Elizabeth and Rosa. A village, just north of where we stayed, lay still and quiet. A growl claws its way up my chest and throat; bursting out of my lips that are parted slightly. With my power, my hunger also grows and manifests. It's strange to feel this way. Normally the hunger doesn't bother me; I just kill for the fun of it. Blood drives me crazy; it's all I think about. Killing people doesn't bother me, never has. What bothers me is the pain I experience when I don't kill, the pain I experience when I don't taste someone's sickly sweet blood.

"Carmilla, do you smell that?" Elizabeth sniffs the air and closes her eyes. When she opens them again they are full of fire. I smell the air, trying to depict all of the different individuals below us. I stop abruptly. A slayer. A hunter. No. This cannot be happening. All three of us need to feed to stay strong. If a hunter is really here we are going to have to be extra careful.
"This doesn't change anything. We simply avoid the hunter." Rosa growls; a lioness ready to pounce.
"I want to play Carmilla. Please?" I hold my hand out; Rosa falls to her knees with a gasp.
"Rosa, sweetie, don't be so stupid! This is not a game! We have to stick together. Avoid the hunter at all costs. Get in, get out. Got it?" As I say those last words I kneel next to Rosa and tuck her hair behind her ear. She nods to show that she will obey. I take my hand and cup Rosa's chin, lifting her up to place her back on her feet.
"Good. Let's get this over with." The three of us move quickly into the village. One house has a light on. Doesn't anyone know that light attracts enemies? This makes me stop in my tracks. The hunter. That must be their house. I growl in distaste and move quickly. The three of us go from one house to the next; drying the whole village out.

I freeze, completely motionless. The light in the hunter's house has vanished. He knows. Within two seconds Elizabeth and Rosa are by my side.
"You think he'll try to fight?" Elizabeth whispers. She's clever enough to know that hunters are serious and not to be messed with.
"It's likely. We should get out of here. Our business is finished." Before we can move, a voice reaches us. The voice of the hunter.
"A little tip, if you're going to attack a village, you might want to try killing the hunter first. That way, you might just have a chance of escaping." The hunter smiles and then pulls the trigger on his gun. It won't kill us, but it stings like a bitch. Elizabeth flies backwards from the blast; she gets up quickly. All three of us surround the hunter. I see a glint of silver in the grass; an axe. I let out a scream and lunge myself towards the hunter. Bullets drive themselves into my flesh. I've grown too strong to be derailed by tiny metal objects; I still move towards the hunter. He pulls the trigger once more to find the bullets have run out.
"Looks like you've got no bullets left. You really shouldn't have wasted them you know? I thought a hunter would know better than to shoot a vampire." I smirk and carry on moving closer and closer to the hunter.

I feel my eyes glaze over; the powers of compulsion helping me keep the hunter still. Rosa appears by my side.
"Let me take him." Rosa has always been like a child in a sweet shop. She can never stay in control. She never sees what we do as survival; she sees it as a game.
"No!" I roar at Rosa, tired of her incompetence. She doesn't stop going on. My eyes unglaze and the powers of compulsion leave me. I growl and turn back to the hunter. He's moved. Rosa's distraction angers me. I hold my hand up and close it into a fist. Rosa falls to the floor; she doesn't move. I haven't killed her, just made her unconscious so that she doesn't get in my way again. I quickly scour the village; no sign of the hunter. Elizabeth is in one of the houses; someone was left unattended to and nearly got away to get help.
"We need to get Rosa and leave. We'll deal with the hunter another time." When we get to the spot where I left Rosa's body there's nothing there. I close my eyes and let all of my senses take over. The hunter took her. This means war.