Status: Complete

And Therefore Is Wing'd Cupid Painted Blind

Cafes & Solitaire

Age 18

“Rogue, is everything alright?” Sting asks out of the blue.

Rogue stares at him from across the table, sees how his arm is slung casually around Lucy’s shoulders, after two years a slight blush still crosses her cheeks when Sting is around. You would think that she would be used to him showering her affection by now. Rogue hates her. Actually he wishes it were as simple as that, he would love for her to be a horrible person so his hatred could be justified, but he isn’t that lucky. In fact Lucy is a wonderful girl, she’s kind to Rogue, always eager to help him with his problems, she’s a happy person, always trying to get Rogue to smile more; she likes his smile. But she loves Sting, which is where Rouge’s problem with her comes in. As much as he likes her he can’t look at her without feeling like she’s stolen something from him, which is ridiculous, Sting was never just his. And it’s not like Lucy has completely taken the love of his life away from him, if that was the case Sting wouldn’t be sitting opposite him at the table right now, showing him such friendly concern that makes Rogue want to scream.

But of course Rogue couldn’t say any of his thoughts, so he shrugs, waving Sting’s concern away with a gesture of his hand and saying that he’s simply stressed due to their exams coming up.

Sting looks at him for a moment longer before returning the shrug and turning all his attention to Lucy, who giggles at his plans to take her on a date that night. It wasn’t long ago that Sting would have never let Rogue get away with such vagueness as he did just now. He would have pestered him, kept annoying him until he had no choice but to tell Sting what was on his mind.

It’s interesting how things change. Rogue doesn’t like it one bit.

For a while he just sits there, leaning back in the booth as he watches Sting and Lucy converse, not once since that moment acknowledging his existence. When he grows tired of being ignored he stands up abruptly.

“I’m going to go home,” he picks his bag up from the booth next to him, slinging it over his shoulder, “I’ll see you guys later,” walking away from the table

“Bye Rogue,” he hears Lucy shout after him, he continues walking to the exit hearing them talking about something and just as he’s about to step out of the café he feels someone grab hold of his hand.

He turns his head slightly, knowing who it is from the warmth radiating through his body. “Sting?”

Sting tugs him outside the café, trapping Rouge between the wall and himself, “Seriously, what’s wrong Rogue?”

He’s going to start pestering him now? “What? Nothing.” Rogue racks his brain for an excuse. “I just want to go home and study.” He tries to smile, but knows that he is long past putting up a happy front.

“Are you mad that we weren’t including you?” Sting asks, of course he knows that Rogue’s upset; he just has to find out why.

“Why would I be mad?” Rogue asks, playing dumb.

“Look, Rogue I know that sometimes I can get a little wrapped up in Lucy but she’s just that kind of person, you know? I just don’t want you to be upset if it seems like I’m ignoring you sometimes.” He stops for a second grinning. “I mean you’re my best friend, and you always will be, that won’t ever change. And because of that I know that I can tell you what’s on my mind at least.”

Sting stops again, his eyes sparkling as he stares at Rogue. Rogue leans forward slightly, half expecting Sting to reveal his love for him.

“I’ve never done this before, so I’m not really sure how to say it,”

Yes?

“But I think I love,”

Rogue’s eyes snap open wider.

“Lucy.”

Rogue’s heart drops.

Sting grins down at him, “Do you think I should tell her on our date tonight?”

Rogue can’t do it anymore. “I’m going home, see you Sting.”

Sting stands there staring at his best friend’s back, confused with his attitude.

~~.~~


It’s been a week since Sting has talked to Rogue, he was pissed at him. He’s been trying to think of a reason for Rogue’s behaviour but so far he was drawing a blank. How could it be so hard to figure this out, he’s been best friends with the guy for almost eight years now, but lately he’s felt like their relationship has changed. Maybe that’s his fault; since he started dating Lucy he hasn’t had as much time for Rogue, but wouldn’t Rogue have said something if it was bothering him that much? Sting thought they were closer than that. Even so he finds himself knocking on Rogue’s front door. His mum opens it, asking Sting how he’s been before telling him Rogue’s up in his room.

Sting bounds up the stairs two at a time, rounds the corner and without bothering to knock, flings Rogue’s bedroom door open letting it smack against the wall.

“Honey I’m home,” he shouts, hoping to get a laugh out of Rogue who just leans back in his desk chair with a scowl on his face.

“Could you refrain from breaking my mother’s house?”

Well okay then, someone’s in a bad mood. “What’s up your arse?” he asks, flopping down on Rogue’s perfectly made bed, snuggling himself into the pillows.

Rogue swivels in his chair to face Sting. “Nothing.”

“Well what are you doing then?” Sting moves on the bed to look at Rogue properly.

“Studying.” Rogue swivels in his chair again to face his laptop.

“Are you capable of replying in a full sentence?” Sting’s getting sick of this attitude; it’s like how Rogue used to talk except now he’s doing it out of spite instead of shyness.

“Yes.” He replies, tapping away at his laptop.

Sting’s had enough of this; he climbs off the bed making sure to mess it up as much as possible before striding across the room to Rogue, placing his hands tightly on the back of the chair and turning it making Rogue face him. His anger flares as Rogue stares down at his feet instead of at him.

“What is your problem?” Sting shouts at him, knuckles turning white from his grip on the chair.

“I’m trying to study,” Rogue mumbles.

“Bullshit! I’m getting so sick of your attitude. Finals aren’t for like another month, even you aren’t that anal about school to start studying now.”

Rogue doesn’t say anything, Sting looks behind his head slightly to the laptop screen seeing a half completed game of solitaire open on it. He lets go of Rogue’s chair, taking a step back. “You were ignoring me to play solitaire?”

Rogue looks up at him, the pain in his eyes is hard for Sting to miss but he doesn’t move.

“Are you mad at me Rogue?” He asks.

Rogue thinks for a moment, is he mad at Sting? The short answer is yes, but it’s not as simple as that. In fact he’s madder at himself, at his own feelings than he is at anything Sting’s done. But he doesn’t have the heart to say any of this so he sticks with his short answer. “Yes.”

Sting’s eyes widen, not completely expecting that. “What? Why? Is this because I haven’t been spending as much time with you since I started dating Lucy? Do you hate Lucy? I can’t spend every moment of my life with you Rogue; I have other people who I love just as much. I’m sorry that you don’t have as many friends as me, but that’s not my fault. You need to get out there more, socialize with people.”

“That isn’t what this is about. This isn’t about you being my only friend, but thanks for reminding me that I am socially awkward and no one wants to get to know the emo loser. I don’t want more friends Sting, you are enough.” Rogue shouts at him, finally cracking.

“Then what is it? Just tell me Rogue.”

Rogue looks down again, “I can’t, it’ll ruin everything.”

“It won’t, just tell me.”

Rogue takes a deep breath and mumbles, “I love you.

Sting takes a step closer, leaning in towards Rogue. “What was that?”

Rogue lifts his head knowing there is no way around this anymore. “I’m in love with you, Sting.”