Status: One shot and done!

Another Way Out

I Wish There Was Another Way Out!

‘I wish there was another way out!’

I woke up to the credits of Kick-Ass rolling before groaning and checking my phone. Three AM, I should have known. Whenever I fall asleep before two AM these days, I’ll end up waking up at three or four and not be able to go back to sleep for a few hours. I decided on another movie on Netflix before crawling out of bed and walking to the bathroom. I took out my contacts and stifled a yawn before heading downstairs to grab more water. I was parched and I was dying for a cigarette.

I walked into the kitchen, grabbing another water bottle out of the fridge and chugging almost half of it. I heard a snap and stopped in my tracks, whirling around to look behind me. I heard a soft humming sound coming from outside and stepped closer to investigate. I walked slowly and quietly, my heart pounding in my chest.

‘Voices won't go away
They stay for days and days
They say some awful things
Ways to make you fade away
I don't think no one's home
And we're just here alone’


“I better find you first, before you find the phone.” I heard someone sing sinisterly, I swallowed the lump in my throat and ducked down behind the kitchen island.

“You better run, better run, better run
Yeah, I'm coming after you when you’re sleeping at night
Yeah, there's nothing you can do
There's no place you can hide 'cause I'm coming after you.”
The same sinister voice sang, fiddling around with the lock on the backdoor. I crawled out into the living room, gasping when I saw shadows of two men outside the front door. The back door burst open and I jumped to my feet, running upstairs as quickly but as quietly as I could.

“I wish there was another way out for you.” A different voice sang. I could hardly hear them past my pounding heart. I rushed into my bedroom, shutting and locking the door quietly before propping my chair under the doorknob, turning off my TV and rushing into the closet. I shut the closet door behind me and sat down, scooting to the back of my closet. I covered my mouth and tried to calm my breathing as I heard footsteps pounding around downstairs.

“Where did she go!? I know I saw her shadow and the lights on earlier!” Someone roared, a deep voice sending shivers down my spine.

“There’s no way the bitch could have snuck out, her car’s still here and we had both exits covered!” Another voice joined in, this one being a little more high pitched than the last. Tears pricked my eyes, with how long I’ve lived alone, I knew how to defend myself. However, not against multiple people. “J-Dog, Johnny, and Danny; go check upstairs. We’ll cover down here in case she’s hiding.” The same man barked, a grumble of ‘okay’s being barely heard. I bit down hard on my lip as footsteps made their way up the stairs.

“J-Dog, you check the bathroom, Danny check the other bedroom. I’ll check this one. And check thoroughly, every nook and cranny this bitch could be hiding in.” The first man from earlier ordered the other two. Two sets of footsteps faded as one set grew louder. I heard the doorknob to my bedroom jiggle and slamming on the other side of the door before a deep chuckle. “Rookie mistake, sweetheart.” Something banged against the door before it opened, slamming against the wall. Through the cracks of my closet door, I could see the silhouette of a man standing in the doorway, a crowbar in his right hand. “I know you’re in here.” He taunted, walking forward and looking around.

The light from outside shone in through the window and as he turned to look at the closet, I saw his face was hidden with by a blue mask with butterflies on the right side and a big three on the left. He kneeled down and checked under the bed before checking under my desk. He tapped the crowbar against his palm, checking behind my recliner in the corner before stopping in front of the closet. He stood there for a moment, not making a sound before raking the crowbar down the slits of the door. He threw open the closet door and looked on the top shelf before starting at the left side of my closet, rummaging through the clothes.

I had absolutely no idea where the other guys were, however I’d rather try to make a run for it now instead of being found like a sitting duck. He turned his attention to the right side of my closet and rummaged through those clothes before looking at the center, where I was hiding. I couldn’t see his face or his mouth, but I could tell he was smirking. I was right where he wanted me to be.

He stepped back and continued tapping the crowbar against the palm of his hand.

“I’ll make it easy on you sweetheart, if you come out right now, I’ll make it as fast and painless as I could possibly make it. You have until the count of three. One,” I shut my eyes tightly, quickly going over my different options. Either I stay in the closet and die a horrible and painful death, come out now but still die, or take my chances and try to escape. At least the last option had some possibility of survival. “Two,” I took a deep breath and pushed the clothes to the sides, getting onto my feet and preparing to make a run for it. “Thr—” I charged out of the closet, dodging the man’s swing as I made a beeline for the stairs. “SHE’S COMING!!” He shouted to the others. I rushed down the stairs, jumping over the banister when one of them, a man with a mask that had burnt out eyes and what looked to be a dollar bill covering the mouth, blocked the bottom. I pushed myself as hard as I could, running out the backdoor and into the woods behind my house. I glanced behind to see six men running out after me, making me shriek and push my legs to go faster.

“The longer you try to evade us, the worse it’ll be for you in the end!” One of them shouted after me, black curly hair overlapping his white mask. I panted as I pushed myself to go faster, dodging the trees. My legs felt heavier and heavier with each stride, my lungs and muscles screaming to relax, but I couldn’t take the chance.

As I was running, no, sprinting away from my death, I thought back on my life. People I wish I had gotten to know better, people I wish I never met, others who meant everything to me and their possible reactions to finding out I was murdered outside of my house. My family, my friends, my enemies. People I wish I had made up with, people I wish I had told to burn in hell. The major events that turned into milestones in my life. My birthdays, holidays, family get-togethers, our weekly BBQs. Everything I’ve taken for granted, I wanted nothing more than to relive them all.

A man in a gold mask came into view from my right side, lunging at me. I let out a yelp as his arm caught my leg, sending me to the ground. I struggled to my feet, my now scraped knees stinging and dodged his attempts to grab my ankle. I continued running, the trees rushing past me in a blur. I glanced behind me to find another man with a black mask chasing after me. I bobbed and weaved my way through the trees, circling around a few to lose him. Once I thought I was safe, I glanced behind and let out a sigh of relief when I saw no one chasing me.

I came out into a clearing and collapsed, rolling onto my back. I panted hard, staring up at the sky. I prayed to whatever God that was out there, any God that was listening, for them not to find me and to give up.

Just as I thought I was safe and that I lost them, the man with the blue mask appeared above me and I screamed, his hand clamping over my mouth.

“Shut up!” He hissed, grabbing my arm and hauling me to my feet. His arm wrapped around my chest, pinning my arms to my side. He pulled me over to the others and I struggled against him, shouting pleas into his hand. I brought my head down before bringing it back up fast and hard, headbutting him. The mask hurt the back of my head, but it did the trick. He immediately dropped me and howled in pain, pulling off his mask and holding his nose. I went to run but was seized by one who had a bandana over his nose and mouth and sunglasses on. He forced me onto my knees and pulled my head up by my hair to look at the man I had just headbutted. He clenched his jaw and glared daggers into my eyes, dropping his mask and raising his crowbar.

‘Got you down on bended knee
What should my next weapon be?
It’s over you can’t breathe
Just sleep now rest in peace.’


“Please, don’t do this!” I cried, my eyes trained on his face. “I swear I won’t say anything to anyone, just let me go!” He stepped closer, the rage in his eyes burning into my own. “PLEASE!”

“I wish there was another way out for you.” The man with the gold mask sang softly as the one in front of me swung his crowbar, cracking it against the side of my head.

I fell to the side, blood dripping down my face and a throbbing pain shooting through my head. I groaned softly, being the only sound I could make. I silently prayed for someone to help me, but as the man brought the crowbar down on my head over and over, my vision clouded and soon turned black.

Darkness. Silence.

Then nothing.

'I wish there was another way out!'
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello lovelies! This is my first HU story on here and I hope you all like it. I was watching the 'Another Way Out' lyric video by HU the other day and I got the idea for this quick one-shot. I hope you all enjoy, let me know what you think in the comments!

I'm trying to get back into the swing with writing so just bare with me. There are many more stories and one-shots to come, I recently got an idea for a one shot based off of 'Dead Bite' so I'll be working on that one within the next week and uploading it.

XoXo
>>A