Status: I take oneshot requests (:

Finally

[one of one]

Nellie Rodriguez steps out of her bedroom, tucking a brown curl behind her ear. She smiles at her sister, giving her a twirl that provides 360 degree view of her outfit. Nervously, she bites her lip and waits for her sister’s feedback.

“You look absolutely stunning,” Rachel grins.

“Are the heels too tall?” Nellie says after thanking her sister for her encouraging words. Rachel shakes her head no, and Nellie can’t help but grin. Everything is perfect.

Tonight isn’t a typical night for Nellie. After three years of waiting in the friendzone, Nellie managed to get herself away from it. How she managed to do so, she doesn’t exactly know. But what she does know, is if tonight is everything she’s dreamt about, it will be worth it. If John proves to be exactly how she imagined, she will be forever grateful for waiting. It won’t be a waste of time, like all her friends told her before.

The sisters walk downstairs to the living room of the home they share. Nellie immediately sits down on the sofa, while Rachel chooses to sit in their father’s old leather recliner. Nellie turns on the TV to distract her as she waits for her date. Flipping through the channels on the television, she finally settles on a Shameless rerun.

“Don’t be nervous, it’ll go great,” Rachel says this as though she could read her sister’s mind. She looks at Nellie lovingly, with such high hopes about tonight. Rachel knows how much Nellie loves John and wholeheartedly believes John has always shared the same feelings, he was just a little slow in realizing it. Rachel also knows how nervous Nellie is, and felt the need to reassure her younger sibling.

Nellie feels a little better, hearing her sister’s confidence. “Thanks, Rach,” she says. She takes a look at her phone. 7:56. John should be here in roughly four minutes. Instead of staring down the clock on her iPhone like she desperately wants to, she directs her attention to the tv. Shameless is one of her favorite TV shows. Nellie can almost quote the whole series, word for word. Even though she’s seen this episode a million times before, and it’s almost provided a solid distraction, it’s not working tonight. She’s just too damn nervous.

Before too long, there’s a knock on the front door. The sister’s squeal in anticipation. “It’s him!” Rachel exclaims. Nellie gets up quickly and walks to the door. When she opens it, she has to remind herself to breathe. John is taking her breath away.

Nellie invites her date inside, and John does. They stop and look at each other, taking each other in. Tonight, John is wearing black skinny jeans, a white dress shirt, and black suspenders. His hair is newly cut and styled. He looks like a gentleman, so flawless and angelic to Nellie. “You look great,” Nellie says, smiling at John.

“So do you. You’re so beautiful, Nel,” John smiles his lopsided smile, making Nellie swoon. She thanks him, just as Rachel walks up to them, camera in her hand.

“Let’s take a picture of you two! You both look so charming, I have to capture the moment!” The two agree, stepping next to each other. Both know that disagreeing with Rachel’s requests would be treacherous, and the date would not take place until Rachel gets the picture she desires. John looks his arm around Nellie’s waist, and Nellie leans close to him, grabbing his other hand with hers. Rachel snaps a few pictures of the smiling couple. After she takes a look, she grins at her result. “You two are so precious. Have fun tonight!”

Nellie and John take a quick look at the pictures Rachel took. They look like a real couple: genuine and in love. To anybody who didn’t know them but took a look at the photograph would think John and Nellie were already an item, which is a beautiful thing. Nellie is almost as tall as John in her six inch nude heels. Her dress is a pale pink, highlighting her curves in a wonderful way. Her lips are the same color as her dress, which entices John. He wonders how anybody could get the colors exactly the same in a situation like that, but he admires it. The finishing touch is Nellie’s spiral curls, pushed out of her face and perfectly placed on her back.

Nellie grabs her purse off the couch, hugs her sister goodbye, and clasps John’s hand as they walk outside to John’s car. Butterflies assemble in her stomach. She’s been waiting years for this moment, and it’s finally coming true.

John’s car is already running when they get inside it. A Wheatus song echos from the car’s speakers, and Nellie wonders if it’s coincidence or intentional. After all, Wheatus is her favorite band. Nellie hums along to the song as John buckles himself in.

“Where are we going?” Nellie asks after a few minutes of John’s driving.

“I made reservations to that new restaurant that just opened, like, a week ago.” He smiles his crooked smile at Nellie again, grabbing onto one of her hands.

“How did you manage to get us in?” Nellie gasps. From opening night to tonight, the restaurant has been completely booked. Getting a table is next to impossible. Nellie knows because she’s tried numerous times.

“Never doubt the ways of John O’Callaghan,” John says, winking at Nellie. The two laugh, but Nellie can’t help but wonder how he managed it.

For the rest of the thirty minute drive, the two make small talk. John talks about his new album, and how great it’s coming along. He tells Nellie about Jared’s new dog, a pug mix, who might be the cutest dog John’s ever seen. Nellie tells John about how she wants to open her own store because, while she loves her job selling wedding dresses, she wants to do more. Besides, she didn’t get a business degree for no reason. The two talk about everything on their minds just as effortlessly as it has always been. The only difference between now and before, is John’s holding Nellie’s hand, and the two are trying a first date.

John struggles to find a parking spot at the restaurant, proving how busy it is. After a few minutes of driving around, he finally finds one that’ll fit his little car. Once settled into the spot, John turns the keys of his car, and the motor ceases to pur. He lets go of Nellie’s hand, and tells her to hold on. He quickly hops out of his car and heads the the passenger’s side. He opens the door for Nellie, grabbing her hand again, and guides her out, shutting the door behind her.

“I’m so glad we’re finally doing this,” he whispers, almost to himself, as they walk to the restaurant.

“Me too,” Nellie squeezes John’s hand. The two walk hand in hand into the restaurant, smiling from ear to ear. Inside, John informs the hostess of his reservation, and she leads the couple to a small table in the corner of the restaurant. After a few moments of scanning the menu, they both order the cheapest wine available and garlic bread as an appetizer. John gets ravioli for dinner, and Nellie gets spaghetti with meatballs. As they wait for the food, they alternate between talking and just admiring each other.

John takes a sip of his wine. He looks into Nellie’s eyes, offering her a smile.“You’re so beautiful, Nel. I don’t think I tell you that enough.”

Nellie blushes a faint shade of red. “Thank you, John. You’re so sweet.” Before, when John called her beautiful, she always thought he said that because he felt obligated to. When they were just friends, it sounds more casual. Just a friendly thing to say, really. But now, Nellie knows how much John means it. She can tell just how nervous he is. His hands move slower and shake just a little, his eye contact is better than usual, and he talks significantly less. She knows John like the back of her hand.

Dinner was a success. Both John and Nellie really enjoyed their food. As time when on, their nervousness subsided. The conversation turned meaningful, the body language was one of a couple deeply in love. Everything was perfect. Except for one thing.

One the car ride home, Nellie kept wondering why John hadn’t kissed her yet. The date isn’t over yet, but she’s waiting three years for this moment. She wonders what John is thinking, and hopes that he wants to kiss her just as much as she wanted to kiss him. She doesn’t say anything about it to him in fear of rejection. Instead, they talk about Elvis Costello and The Beatles, and all the great music that’s inspired them to do so many things.

John pulls into Nellie’s driveway and cuts the engine. They sit together in silence for a moment. It seems like John is almost reluctant to let Nellie out of his vehicle. This spectacular night has gone by so fast, he just wishes he could stop time so it would last forever. He opens the car door for Nellie, just like before, but this time they hang by the car instead of going to the door.

“Can I tell you something absolutely crazy?” John asks.

Nellie smiles. “Of course you can.”

“I think... I think that I’m in love with you.” He looks at her nervously, anticipating her response. She smiles, wrapping her arms around him and pulling him close. They hug each other, inhaling the other’s perfume.

“I think I’m in love with you, too,” Nellie admits. They pull apart slightly, their faces just inches apart. “Actually, John, I know. I know that I’m so in love with you.” As soon as the last syllable escapes her lips, John’s lips meet hers. They engage in a beautiful, future changing, kiss. The first one of so many more to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a little something. If you want a oneshot, feel free to pm me<3