Denoument

Tube

I ran faster and faster, my heart sprinting like a thousand galloping horses, down the steps of the tube, my feet a white blur against the cracked grey stone. Passerbys cried out in protest as I barged past them, one old lady let out an exclaim of: “now REALLY” as I almost knocked her polka dot umbrella flying. I could feel dozens of shocked eyes on me, no doubt they were looking at my sweaty, crimson face, listening to my rapid, breathy gasps and wondering: what the hell is wrong with that girl? I could hear his shouts behind me echoing loudly off the tiled walls: “Emily wait!” I forced myself to run faster, even though I had an agonizing stitch stabbing me in the side. With a great leap, I reached the bottom of the steps.

Please let the tube be there...

“Emily PLEASE! Just hear me out!!”
I hear his footsteps coming closer and closer, I felt like a mouse cornered at the edge of it’s cage, quivering with fear and adrenalin. Suddenly, fate must have been on my side because with a great roar the central line tube glided to a halt and the doors snapped open.
I didn’t waste a single second.
I scuttled on board at such a high velocity I’m surprised I didn’t reduce to a blurred streak. I buried myself in the bustling crowd of people, desperately willing the doors to shut.
I could see him now; his gleaming white nikes scuffed from the grime of the tube, his maroon jumper complimenting the flush that had now blossomed all over his freckly face, the silver, diamante necklace bouncing off his chest: a single E on a chain.
E for Emily.
His eyes met mine, deep hazel with bright gold flecks dancing throughout the swirls of green, blue and brown like stars in the night sky. I’d seen those eyes grow dark with anger, shine with jubilance, go cross eyed to make me laugh. Now, they were ravaged with pain and desperation, a single tear trickled down his cheek. I could see him open his mouth in a wide O and even though I could know longer hear him through the flurry of people, I could make the single word that he formed on his lips: sorry.
I turned away, as the doors finally closed at last. The tube began to speed away faster and faster, then suddenly, it plunged into darkness.
I could feel tears stinging my eyes and threatening to spill over.
Goodbye Will.