Family Man or Rockstar

Chapter Two

It has been ten years since the night Jayme met Matt. Her children are the only memento she has from that splendid evening.

Her children Jameson and Jessalyn are now entering the fourth grade.

As Jayme dropped her kids off at school she thought back at all the memories the three of them shared. The kid's first teeth falling out, the endless amount of smiles and giggles, the bedtime stories, their first swimming lessons, and how could she forget the kid's very first trip to Disneyland. Jayme had countless happy memories but she could not forget the first time Jameson asked about their father.

It was the day she picked them up from kindergarten. Jessalyn was happy to see her mother but Jameson looked around in search of someone. When Jayme asked who he was looking for he stated "daddy." Tears formed in her eyes immediately. She wanted to wait to have this talk with them when they were older but she knew it would happen sooner than that. She just didn't expect it to be like that. She knelt down to face him and told him she would talk about it when they got home.

The car ride was silent as Jayme thought about the right words to explain to her small children. This talk was not going to be an easy one. Two months after Jayme found out she was pregnant she attended an Avenged Sevenfold concert. She purchased back stage tickets and front row seats. She watched as the band played her favorite tunes but she didn't sing along, her mind was consumed with thoughts of how to tell the singer he would be a father.

When the set was over and the crowd dispersed, Jayme found her way to the back stage area. Fan girls that were obviously half her age gathered around in half t-shirts and short shorts. They screamed as they saw the band. Jayme let them get their signatures and pictures before she slowly approached Matt. His eyes met hers.

"Do you have a pen?" he asked.

Jayme was thrown off. He didn't recognize her, not that she expected him to. She didn't know what she expected. A lump in her throat emerged and she became tongue-tied. The words she thought to say all night vanished from her brain.

"No," she said before turning around and exiting the arena.

She didn't tell him he was going to be a father and ten years later he does not know he has two kids asking about him.

Jayme stared at her kid's blank faces as they sat around the kitchen table. The words she thought of on the car ride home vanished from her mind just like that night six years ago.

"Your father," she began, "is dead."

As soon as the words left Jayme's mouth, she regretted it. She had no idea where those words came from. She took the easy route of making him die in the story so she did not have to explain her regrets of not informing him of his future.

Four years later and the first day of fourth grade, Jessalyn and her brother Jameson both think their father is in Heaven. While in reality, Matt is alive and well touring the world with his famous band and living only five miles from their home with his wife and their two sons.