Sequel: Two Red Lines
Status: This will be slow but I will try my hardest to update as often as I could :)

Never Doubt

Two

As usual my shift ended in the same manner as any other day. It’s 5pm and people are starting to flow out of the building surrounding this little bookstore in the middle of the city. Yeah, I know, it’s really weird to put up a bookstore in the middle of all these high rise business buildings but the owner – Mrs Smith, former business executive of one of those company’s around us, thought these guys-the businessmen or business women-need time of and we offer that quiet solace.

We’re not just a bookstore; we also offer some beverages and pastries but those are a little reserved for the loyal customers. Mrs Smith kind of has a secret menu for them and she makes this treats herself. It’s awesome to see her when she’s baking or making drinks; its like she’s in her own bubble - her own space and time.

The name of the store is Escafe. That’s ‘escape’ and ‘café’ rolled in to one. Here, we offer different kinds of books; from fiction to sci-fi to business books to do-it-yourself books to inspirational even educational books. We have it all. Since the place is small and not entirely packed every time, Mrs Smith only has 2 employees namely, me and Charlie.

Charlie is one of those girls who likes to dream big. She wants to be writer someday and is saving money for college by working here and as a waitress at the dinner 3 blocks away. I on the other hand am not saving anything for college since my parents – may the Lord continue to bless them – got me a college insurance fund. That would cover the tuition fee for any degree at any school in any state. So me working here is just for me and for some working experience too.

“Gabby, closing time,” Mrs Smith smiles fondly at me.

“Yeah, I’ll just finish putting these back,” I held up a couple of books for her to see.

“Okay,” she said, “Just holler up when you’re done.” She said dismissively and walking to the back office.

It’s a good thing the books I got were of the same category, now I just need to place them in alphabetical order on the shelves. After doing so, I went to the back office to time out.

“See you on Monday Mrs S,” I smiled.

“See you, take care.”

I made my way out and made sure to lock the front door. It’s a good thing I parked in front of the store this morning. Then I remembered I had to pick up my best friend from her work at Starbucks. Unfortunately, when I got there she was already out. I had to ask some of her friends where she went and they all pointed to the music store across the shop.

I barged right in to the store and started to look for her.

“Hey!” someone was shouted. “Didn’t you see the sign? We’re closed.”

“I don’t care if you’re closed,” I shouted back. “BERNA!” I called for my friend.

“Hey,” the voice got closer, louder. “Whoever you’re looking for is not here. Nobody’s here.”

I was about to let out a smart come back when I turned around but I was surprised to see a guy right infront of me. Not just any guy, he must be in his late twenties or early thirties, he had powder blue, hazel shaped eyes, scruffy brown beard, tall nose and plump lips, and he has just the right amount of tan too which was kind of weird since we’re in Chicago. In summary, he’s one attractive guy.

“Uhm, I was looking for my friend,” I mumbled. Honestly, he was quite intimidating since his a foot and a half taller than me and mostly made up of muscles.

“I kinda figured that out,” the right corner of his mouth moved up, smirking at me. “Like I said, nobody’s here,” he gestured around with his hands.

“I…” comm’on brain, think of an excuse. “I-uh. I just wanted to see for myself.”

“Well,” he said, expectantly.

“Yeah, she not here,” I sighed in defeat, shoulders slumped. “I’m sorry for barging in like that.” Keeping my head down, I slowly headed for the door. I could feel his glare burn a hole on my back.

I was at the door when he spoke again.

“If it’s any help, there was a girl here when I came out. She left with my kid and his friend.”

“Thanks,” I opened the door and was as fast as I could.

I knew it! Berna was with that Pete-Unibrow. How could she forget that I was going to pick her up from work? How the hell am I gonna go to their house without her?

I took my phone out and dialed her number. After three unsuccessful calls, I gave up and sent her a text that I’m heading home to my house and she could stay with that Pete-Unibrow from the party all she wants because I don’t care anymore.

Actually, I do. On the way back home – which was on the border of Chicago to the suburbs, I kept on thinking about Berna. Is she okay? Did she go willingly with that creep? Is she safe? What if she wasn’t?

I pulled up on the parking lot at the back of the apartment building I live in. I wasn’t supposed to be home for another week but here I am, walking past the front door straight to my room when my mom called out for me as I reached the end of the hall to my bedroom.

“Wait, it’s not Monday, right?” she asked and I nodded.

“Then why are you here?” her voice slightly rising.

“Berna bailed out on me,” I said as deadpanned as I could. I even made sure I had a poker face on.
“Aww, honey. Its okay,” she was walking straight to me. Then she wrapped an arm behind my low back, the other on my shoulders.

“I’m okay Ma,” I let my arm wrap around her too and gave her a small hug.

A few moments later she pulled back. “I’m making pancit, that okay?”

“Yeah sure,” I nodded, “I’ll be in my room,” I said as I excused myself.

With a small smile, she let me be. I headed straight to my room and plopped back on the bed. How I missed this bed. Its warm and big with really puffy pillows. What’s not to like?

I didn’t even realized I dozed until I heard my phone ringing. Groaning out loud, I slowly took it from the night stand and looked at the screen. It’s an unknown number. Groaning some more, I slowly sat up and answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey, uhm this is Patrick.” The voice said.

“Sorry, but I don’t know any Patrick. You have the wrong-“

“Wait! I know, you don’t know me but I know your friend and I’m calling for her.”

I sighed. “Please don’t tell me she’s drunk.”

“Well… Let’s just say she’s a little buzzed.”

“Oh God,” was all I could come up with.

“Yeah, I’m really sorry.”

I tried to think of a way to rescue her from this dude Patrick. I could drive to wherever she is but it already past my curfew. I could tell him where she lives but her mom would go berserk if she saw a guy dragging my ‘buzzed’ best friend up their porch.

“Uh…,” I sighed once more. “I can’t pick her up. I’m sorry but its past my curfew.”

“Oh.. uhm,”

“And I can’t tell you where she live ‘cus her mom’s gonna freak if she sees her buzzed with a guy. Not that she wouldn’t be as mad as she could if it were me. And she was supposed to be with me for the week,” I rambled.

“Okay… uhm,” I can tell his trying to come up with something too.

An idea popped in my head.

“I got it!” I exclaimed. “Why don’t you hold on to her for the night? Then I could go get her before work or after lunch from wherever she is.”

“Yeah, that sounds good.”

“Good,” I smiled at myself. “Where are you anyway?”

“We’re at Pete’s,”

Oh,” Pete-unibrow’s house.

“Yeah. So, we’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah, yeah. Just don’t do anything to her okay. I’ll be there.”

“’Kay.” Then the line went dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 2 you guys! I don't think you guys are as excited as I am for this but hey. So, as all of you who are reading this know my main girl doesnt like Pete, BUT I have something special along the way that would make them as close as ever. And no, I don't have anything against Pete. That's just how the story plays in my mind. :) And Patrick's here! Hahah. Although he's, just a voice he will be here. I promise. You just have to stay tune. :)

Leave comments lovies! :D