Sequel: Hear Your Heart

Run Away With My Heart

32: How Can We Make This Easy?

“Isobel?” Iker mumbled as he stepped into the small private room, his dark eyes landing on the blonde who sat in the centre of the bed, a small ditzy smile on her face. She looked proud of herself, like she was happy about having gotten in the way again, and part of Iker wanted to get rid of it. If it hadn’t been for her, the chances were he would be at home with Olivia, coming up with a schedule for moving her things into his home.

“You made it” Isobel noted, her smile growing slightly as she noted Olivia’s absence from the keeper’s side.

“You called my house and told Lori that you were in hospital” he returned monotonously “What did you expect me to do? Sit by and just ignore it?” he added.

Isobel shook her head. “I knew you would come” she noted “But you didn’t really need to. Turns out, I was experiencing the first kicks” she explained.

Iker wanted to snap, because of Isobel, there was a very good chance that Olivia wasn’t going to speak to him for the rest of the day, but he refrained. The last thing he wanted was to upset Isobel and have her cause him any more problems. “The baby is OK?” he managed to spit out through gritted teeth.

“He’s perfectly fine” Isobel grinned “I got this for you too” she added, handing over a small sonogram photo.

Iker took the photograph into his hand and sighed, his brown eyes scanning the picture softly. “He?” he posed gently.

Isobel smiled. “It’s a boy” she revealed with a laugh.

Iker nodded his head and stared at the picture for a second longer, his heart jumping a little at the sight of it. It wasn’t how he had wanted it, if he could have picked a moment to have his first child, it would have been when he was settled in a relationship with a girl he loved, but still the sonogram warmed his heart a little. Even if he couldn’t stand the potential mother of his first baby, he was at least slightly excited about the prospect of being a father. “Are you Ok?” he posed, gently stowing the picture in his pocket.

Isobel nodded. “I’m fine” she noted.

Iker nodded his head softly. “Do you mind if I go?” he posed “I want to get back to…”

“I’d rather you sat with me until the doctor comes back” Isobel interjected “They said it was nothing, but they did some tests and I have to sit and wait for the results. Would you mind sticking around for a little while?” she posed.

Iker sighed. “Fine” he noted softly “But Isobel, I need to ask about the paternity test again” he added.

Isobel rolled her eyes. “Why do you need it proved Iker? I said it was yours, what else do you need?” she scoffed.

“I just want to be certain” he noted gently “I don’t disbelieve you, but I would like to be 100%” he explained.

Isobel scoffed. “More like, Oli wants to be 100% sure” she mumbled.

“Olivia hasn’t said a word” Iker muttered “And if she had, she wouldn’t be wrong. Isobel, you played a part for the entirety of our relationship, you pretended to be this lovely, and caring woman and you weren’t. So, don’t start pretending to be perfect. I want the paternity test, regardless of what you say” he noted firmly.

Isobel rolled her eyes. “I just don’t see why you won’t take my word for it. If you were single…”

Iker shook his head. “I am going home” he muttered “I am glad that the baby is OK” he added before he stepped out of the room.

Isobel rolled her eyes. She wondered why he couldn’t just take her word for it.

~#~
“Oli?” Iker mumbled as he gently stepped into his bedroom, his dark eyes drawn to the brunette who sat curled against the headboard, her knees cuddled to her chest “Mi amor, I am so sorry for the way today…”

“Is the baby Ok?” Olivia whispered, cutting him off.

Iker blinked a little, startled by her question, but nodded his head. “The baby is fine. Isobel was freaking out because she had felt the first kicks and didn’t know what was going on, but the baby is fine” he explained.

Olivia nodded her head stiffly. “Good” she muttered out.

Iker sighed. “Oli, I am…”

“Don’t say sorry” she muttered.

Iker frowned. “What do you want me to say?” he whispered.

Olivia shrugged. “It doesn’t matter. Today was a glimpse at our future and there is little I can do to change it” she muttered, her fingers tugging at a loose thread on the throw pillow she hugged to her chest.

“Oli, what are you talking about?” Iker posed, taking a few steps towards the bed.

Olivia pushed her hair out of her eyes and sighed. “I can’t compete with Isobel” she murmured “If Isobel’s baby is yours, then she is going to make sure that you and I both know it, meaning she will call at every opportunity and ensure that she drives a wedge between us, using your baby to do it. Iker, if this baby is yours then I don’t know what we are going to do” she whispered.

Iker shook his head. “There is a chance…”

“I think we both know we aren’t that lucky” Olivia interjected with a little shake of her head.

“Olivia” he pleaded gently, his hands gently placing themselves on her cheeks “Mi amor, I am trying” he whispered.

“I know you are” Olivia replied, her fingers lightly brushing over his “But we both know why Isobel called today and it wasn’t because she wanted you at the hospital” she mumbled.

Iker sighed. “Oli, I don’t know what to do” he whispered “If this is my baby, then I am not going to ignore it” he noted.

“I wouldn’t expect you to. Iker, you’re going to be a wonderful papa” she whispered.

“Tell me how we can make this easy” he mumbled, snuggling closer to her.

Olivia sighed. “I don’t think we can” she murmured, hugging him close.

Iker sighed. “I don’t want to let you go” he whispered.

“And I don’t want to lose you, but this clearly going to be an issue for us” she replied gently.

Iker sighed. “Can we just not think about it right now?” he posed softly “We can sit up here, eat leftovers and snuggle instead” he suggested.

Olivia smiled feebly and nodded, allowing Iker to step out of the room to retrieve some food for them. She knew it couldn’t be ignored, Isobel and the baby were clearly an issue that they would have to work around, but in that moment, Olivia just wanted to pretend that everything was OK. She didn’t even want to contemplate the thought that had drifted across her mind when Iker had left. She knew he loved her, he’d done more than enough to show it, but Olivia couldn’t help but wonder if it would be better in the long haul to call it quits. She could only see herself getting hurt every time Isobel called with another demand and, a little part of her at least, didn’t want to go through it all, even if she did love Iker. Part of her wondered if letting go would be better than holding on.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Yaninkin9 and FootieJo for the comments :)