Warrior

I'm A Survior In More Ways Than You Know

Niklas Kronwall slowly walked into his girlfriend Elizabeth's room at the hospital, hoping to find her awake. When he had gotten the call from the hospital that his girlfriend had attempted suicide, he felt sick to his stomach. He had known she had depression since the day they had met, but he never thought it would come to this. He supported and helped her as much as he could. He held her when she cried, he had taken the knife away from her more than once when she started to cut herself, he had taken her to all her doctor's appointments and counseling appointments, he had missed practices to stay at home with her, and he told her all the time how beautiful she was even though she didn't believe it.

Because to him, she was a beautiful lady. -How can she not see how beautiful she is? She's the love of my life-he thought as he sat in the wooden chair they had placed next to the bed and looked over her scarred covered arms. He shook his head and fought back tears at the sight. "Why does she do this? Why can't she see she is perfect the way she is? I want to marry this girl," he muttered to himself.

"Nicky," a small voice asked from the bed. Niklas turned his head and smiled with delight to see his girlfriend awake. She looked thin, worn out, pale and had bloodshot eyes, but she was still beautiful to him. He took her hand and kissed it with his lips. She blushed at the gesture but managed to keep looking him in the eyes. "You should leave me Nicky. I'm not worth it." Niklas stared at her in complete shock. How could she say something like that? Hadn't she seen all the things he did for her each and everyday?

"Lizzy baby, don't say that. You are worth it. You're beautiful to me no matter what you or anyone else says. You're my whole world. You're my everything. I almost lost you today and I'm not losing you again." Tears filled Elizabeth's eyes as the full impact of her boyfriend's worlds hit her.

"But Nicky, look at what I've done to myself. I hurt you. Why are you still here?" Slowly, Niklas got as close as he could to his love and rubbed her arm.

"Those scars are beautiful to me. You know why? Because you're fighting. You fight for your life each and everyday and I love that about you. You hurt yourself, yes, but that doesn't matter. To me, the past doesn't matter. The future is what matters. We can get past this together, I promise you we will. I love you, Lizzy." Elizabeth was quiet for a long minute before looking back up at him.

"I love you too, but I..." She was cut off by the loud gasp that escaped from her lips. Niklas pulled out a ring from his back pocket and knelt next to her bed.

"Lizzy, listen to me. You're beautiful, wonderful, and you're a fighter. You keep me going each and everyday because I love you. I want to help you in this battle and I will fight each and everyday until you get better. Because I'm not going to lose you to some darkness that keeps threatening to overtake you every time you become weak. I am going to pull you into the light that will set you free. Elizabeth, will you marry me?" Elizabeth burst into loud sobs and nodded. Niklas slid the ring onto her finger and kissed her. "I love you, my little warrior."