Wildwood Flower

Sights

“I think I'll make some new curtains,” Nora's mother, Hadley, quipped. Nora glanced up from the works of Robert Frost to see her mother standing, hands on her narrow hips and eyes fixed on the barren curtain rod, “If we're going to be here a while, we might as well make it feel a bit more like home, right?”

“I suppose,” Nora murmured, “What will you make them from?”

“I'm sure they'll have someplace we can purchase fabric in town,” Hadley mused, turning to face the spitting image of herself seated in the old rocking chair, “You want to go with me?”

“And see the sights?” Nora's tone was sarcastic as she shut her book, the hurt look in her mother's eyes extinguished the tiny flame of annoyance that was flickering within her, “I'm sorry,” Nora offered, standing from her seat, “I shouldn't have gotten smart with you.”

“I'm trying my best, Nora,” Hadley said, her voice empty of emotion, “With your Daddy being gone, there's not much I can do for you. I know you wanted to stay in New York, I did too – that was my home, but with the little money Daddy left us with, we'd be on the street right now if we'd stayed put.”

“I know, Momma,” The girl felt ashamed of her bitter tongue, knowing her mother was right, and offered the frail woman a hug. Hadley embraced her daughter tightly, wishing badly that Andrew hadn't deserted them instead of facing reality.

“Let's go get the keys to Poppa's truck, maybe we'll even get him some of that candy he likes,” Hadley forced a smile as she pulled away from Nora, holding her little girl at an arms length and taking her in. She was a beautiful thing, smart, and kind, a feeling of pride crept over Hadley as she looked at the girl and silently damned her husband for taking the easy route.

Image


Jack Bondurant sat in his running truck, waiting for Forrest and Howard to come out of the General Store. His two older brothers were in the shop, striking up a deal with Mr. Keller while he kept a look out for the sheriff or Rakes.

Special Deputy Charley Rakes had come to Blackwater Station, demanding a cut of the bootlegging money and Forrest had threatened to kill him if he came snooping around again. Since that first meeting the legendary Bondurant brothers had been mindful of the steps they took in business. They weren't afraid, but if Rakes was coming after them, they'd have eyes on him as he did so.

Jack watched the on goings of main street from the truck, a warm breeze flowing through the cab of the truck, as Henry Whitaker's truck rumbled into view. The old man had always been a good neighbor and friend, keeping out of any business at the station and even allowing the brothers to set up a few stills on his land – in exchange for a weekly delivery of white lightning, of course.

Henry Whitaker did not get out of the beat up old pick up, though. Instead two brunettes stepped out, one was slightly taller with a short bob and she appeared to be older than her long haired partner. Jack forgot all about keeping a look out as he watched the girl walk past him, her eyes never meeting his despite his silent willing. She had to be Henry's granddaughter, Jack could remember Henry telling him about Jack's family in New York. The idea to invite the Whitaker girl to the barn dance blossomed on it's own without Jack really having to think about it.

Image


The general store was a small, cluttered building that had wares on display haphazardly with seemingly no organization. Upon entering the building Hadley and Nora were greeted by a young boy, one thing about Virginia Nora could appreciate was how polite everyone seemed. In New York people were in a hurry, they had no time for 'hellos' or 'how are yous', in Franklin County it seemed as if everyone cared to find out how their neighbors were.

Nora wandered up one aisle and down another and was surprised to find a stack of books tucked away on a shelf. She stood on her tip toes to see the titles and nearly squealed in delight, here were books she had yet to read. The Hobbit, Gone With the Wind, The Sound and the Fury, and a few different books by Hemingway, not to mention a collection of Poe's stories. She plucked each book from the shelf as if plucking apples from a branch. She approached the counter where the young boy sat upon a stool, toying with a yo-yo.

“How much are these?” Nora smiled, her fingers lovingly trailing over the spines of her finds.

“I'd better ask Paw, we don't sell books much,” The boy said, “I'll be right back, ma'am.”

Image


The knock on the thin wooden door came just as the three men were finishing up their agreement. Jackson Keller had agreed to sell apple brandy and white lightning to his distributors, giving the Bondurant product more reach and hopefully allowing it to root itself among other counties and expand their empire.

“Paw,” William said, opening the door and looking sheepishly at Howard and Forrest, “I need some help. A girl out here is wantin' to buy some books-”

“I'll be right out, son,” Jackson drawled with a nod.

“No need to keep her waitin',” Forrest said, giving Keller a nod of reassurance, “We'll be in contact soon,” He held a hand out and after a brief shake, sealing their deal, the three men followed little William out into the store.

Forrest's heart thumped hard in his chest when he saw the girl standing at the counter waiting for Jackson. Her long, warm brown hair was pinned back loosely from her face. Her pretty blue eyes found him and fluttered from his hat, down over his face, to his shoulders – something flashed in her eyes, did she recognize him? Forrest's throat felt tight as he remembered the view she'd given him just a few days prior.

“Ma'am,” Howard said behind him, greeting the girl politely as they passed. Forrest dipped his head, tipping his hat and managing just the simplest of greetings.

“How can I help you, miss?” Jackson asked, getting the girls attention and pulling her gaze from Forrest.

“How much do I owe you for the books?” the girl asked, her voice growing quiet as the brothers made their exit.

Outside, once in the truck, Howard was the first to speak.

“Pretty girl, huh?” He asked from the middle seat as Forrest adjusted his hat.

“The Whitaker girl?” Jack asked.

“You musta saw her too,” Howard laughed and then followed, “How d'you know she's Henry's kin?”

“She got outta Henry's truck, I'm guessin' that's his granddaughter,” Jack smirked, Forrest listened silently, feeling a little more guilty knowing he'd been spying on his old friend's granddaughter, “You think I should invite her to the barn dance?”

“Oh, ho, ho,” Howard said with a boisterous laugh, “Hear that, Forrest? Our little brother's got his sighs aimed high.”

“What's that supposed to mean?” Jack asked defensively as they bumped along, now out of town and onto the red dirt road that would lead them to Blackwater.

“She was in there buyin' books,” Howard smirked, “Books, man. You ain't never read a book. Girls like that go with doctors or lawyers, not bootleggers. Right, Forrest?”

“Mm,” Forrest grumbled in agreement, “You ask Henry if you can invite her to the dance, Jack. That's the right way to do things.”

Forrest kept his expression even, not letting on that the idea of seeing the girl again was nearly enough to make him smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
a slow start, i know. :)