Goose's Big Adventure

Chapter 9

Elizabeth looked up from her dinner as Niklas walked back into the living room, shock written across his face.

“Who was that on the phone, Nicky,” she said, stirring her oatmeal back up as it was getting too clumped together. Niklas blushed and then grinned.

“I have a son, Natie.” Natalie choked on her water and looked up at him, shock and excitement written across her face.

“WHAT!?!?? YOU HAVE A SON? ARE YOU KIDDING ME,” she shrieked, bouncing in her seat. Niklas laughed and gently grabbed her arms, giving them a tight squeeze.

“Natie calm down sissy. Yes, I have a son. Don’t hurt your leg more than it already is by bouncing like that. I’m getting his room ready and then I’m gonna go pick him up at 5,” he told her, pressing a kiss to her forehead. Natalie calmed down a bit, but the excited look was still on her face as she finished her oatmeal. Niklas chuckled and took her bowl to the sink before coming back to her side. Natalie was looking up at him with a thoughtful frown on her face.

“Nicky, when I was four months old, I was sleeping in the same room with mom and dad. The baby should be in the same room as you,” she explained. Niklas blushed and nodded.

“I wasn’t thinking, I was too excited about having a son to think realistically. I’ll have to bring the crib up from downstairs to put Douglass in,” he replied. Natalie giggled and pushed herself up a little more, reaching for her crutches.

“That’s why you have me here, Nicky. To help you out with that stuff,” she added, standing up uneasily on her crutches. Niklas placed his hands on her waist to steady her until she got her balance and then let go.

“Tack, sissy. But where are you going,” he asked, raising his eyebrows. Natalie smiled up at him.

“To your room, of course. You’re gonna need me to figure out where the best place to put the crib is won’t you? You know I’m good at figuring that stuff out.” Niklas giggled and nodded.

“Alright sis, you win this time. But let me carry you upstairs. I get nervous seeing you go up the stairs on those crutches.” Natalie was about to protest but closed her mouth at the pleading look on her brother’s face. She knew he only wanted to protect her, so she wasn’t about to argue.

“Of course you can, Nicky,” she replied, squealing as Nicky quickly scooped her up in his arms, the crutches tumbling to the floor with a loud crash. Natalie wrapped her arms tightly around her brother’s neck and leaned her head against his shoulder, giggling. “If you break my crutches, I’m making you pay for my new ones,” she threatened playfully as the defenseman carried her up the steps. Niklas snorted and kicked open his bedroom door, laying her on the bed.

“You’d be paying for them yourself, sis. I paid for the last set,” he reminded her. Natalie huffed and narrowed her eyes at him, crossing her arms.

“Excuse you? If you broke my crutches, you have to pay for my new ones,” she repeated. Niklas whined and pouted, blinking his puppy dog eyes at her.

“Dat’s not fair, sis,” he complained. Natalie snorted.

“It’s perfectly fair. You broke them, you pay for them. Simple as that,” she repeated again as she got out her phone. Niklas sighed and kissed her forehead. He couldn’t really argue with her as that was something momma and daddy had taught him years ago.

“I guess you’re right. I’ll be back in a few minutes. Do you need anything, sis,” he asked. Natalie shook her head.

“Nope, I’ll be fine Nicky. I promise. Go get your son’s crib,” she answered. Niklas grinned, squeezed her hand, and ran off, leaving Natalie alone with her thoughts. She couldn’t help but smile at the thought of having a nephew in the house. It would make her life happier that’s for sure. Not that she wasn’t already happy, of course, with her brother and her best friends but something about being around kids always made her smile. She had been wanting a niece/nephew for some time now and her dream was coming true. Suddenly, a loud beep came from her phone, startling her from her thoughts. Laughing, she looked down at her phone to see a text from Goose.

[I} ‘Hey Izzy ;) How are you? What are you up too?’ A large grin spread across Natalie’s face at the text and she felt warm chills run down her spine. She had fallen in love with Goose in the weeks since they had first met, but she was too scared to tell him. He was like her other half-her better half as Hank liked to say.

‘I’m okay, Gus. My leg’s hurting me a little, but I’m not dying or anything.  What are you up to?’ She pushed herself up into her pillows a little more and shifted her leg slightly. She was trying to keep it as still and comfortable as she could so she wouldn’t hurt it again. BEEP!

‘Awe, poor baby!  I’m sorry Nattie. But I’m happy you’re not dying! ;) And I’m thinking about driving over to see you….and Kronner. Is that okay with you? ’ Natalie’s heart sped up at the way he hesitated a second before typing Niklas’s name into the text. Did this mean he had feelings for her, too? Swallowing hard and trying to hold back a grin, she quickly typed a reply.

‘Of course it’s perfectly okay to visit, Gussie! :D It’s always okay to visit me and Nicky you know that! ;) My brother probably needs help at the moment anyway. He’s trying to carry a crib up the stairs by myself which I now know is a horrible idea, but I can’t help him.  How long will it take you to get here?’ It was a few minutes before Natalie got a reply back.

‘I guess I forgot about you guys giving me permission to visit whenever I wanted! *facepalms* sorry about that! Um, it shouldn’t take me more than 5 minutes to get there! I’ll see you in a few!’

Goose was squirming nervously in his seat as he drove to Niklas’s house. He wanted to tell Natalie how much he loved her, but he was scared she would reject him and he’d get his heart broken. He had been in love with her since the day they had met, but he didn’t want to tell her right away. He shuttered when he thought about that day- when he thought he’d lose his captain and his newfound friend in the same day. He would never forget the look on Hank’s face when he blacked out or the scared look in Natalie’s eyes from inside the broken car. Sighing, he shook his head to clear it and turned his thoughts back to the text Natalie had sent him. What was his best friend doing carrying a crib up the stairs? He was dating Hank so there was no possibility of him having his own flesh and blood. Was he adopting? That could be the only other opinion…unless Natalie was pregnant. His eyes widened and he growled internally at the thought of Natalie carrying anyone else’s child besides himself. But he didn’t think that was possible- he knew Natalie would’ve told him that over the text if that was the case. Shaking his head, he parked in the Kronwall’s driveway and got out, racing up to the steps. He pushed on the door to see if it was unlocked. It was so he quickly made his way inside.

“NICKY’S IN THE BASEMENT AND I’M IN HIS ROOM GUSSIE,” Natalie’s voice floated down to him. Goose grinned slightly at the sound of her voice and made his way to the basement door. Finding it open and the light turned on, he quickly made his way down the steps.

“Kronner,” he half-shouted, looking around. There was a yelp and a curse, followed by a loud crash. Paling, Goose ran towards the sound and found Niklas on his knees, the crib at his side and a piece of wood at his knees.

“Oh gosh, Goose, you scared the shit out of me,” he said, looking up at the young forward.

“I’m sorry, Kronner. I only just got here and Natalie texted me saying you might need help so I came to help you,” Goose whispered, guilt flooding his face as he looked Niklas up and down for bruises. Niklas softened and stood up, pulling his friend into a hug.

“I’m okay, Gussie. You just startled me,” he told him, ruffling his hair. Goose blushed at the gesture and pulled away, turning his attention to the crib.

“How are we going to carry this crib upstairs,” he asked, walking around to one side. Niklas laughed and went to the other side of the crib, gripping it with both hands.

“I take one side you take the other side. I’ll be in front cause I’m bigger. We’ll take a rest once we get it upstairs before moving it to the second floor,” he replied. Goose nodded, looking determined as he grabbed the other end and lifted it, slowly turning so that Niklas was in front. Goose felt nervous. He wanted to tell Niklas how he felt about Natalie but was scared he’d be yelled at and that Niklas wouldn’t be friends with him anymore.

“K-Kronner,” he asked as they laid the crib down on the family room floor. He felt sweat running down his cheeks and quickly wiped it away before Niklas could notice. Niklas did notice the nervous look on his face and frowned, gently placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Goose, what’s wrong? Are you okay,” he asked, locking eyes with the younger Swede. Goose blushed and looked down, chewing on his lip. Could he really tell Niklas what he was feeling? He sighed and looked up at him again.

“I’m in love with your sister.”
♠ ♠ ♠
OH MY GOSH! GOOSE JUST CONFESSED TO HER BROTHER! DUN DUN DUN DUN! WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN? :D