Growing Up

Chapter 4

Niklas made his way up the front porch steps with Elizabeth still hooked in his arm. He rang the doorbell and stepped back. He was nervous, even though he knew he shouldn’t be. Elizabeth kept assuring him he was going to be alright, the family would be kind, all that good stuff. He stiffened when he heard the door crack open.

“Niklas Kronwall?”

He raised his hand as if being called on.

“Right here, ma’am.”

She nodded curtly and led them inside. The house was fair sized, modern style type home. She led them over to the couch and made them sit down.

“Already got a girl huh?”

He could hear the annoyance in her voice already.

“She’s a friend.”

He hoped he hadn’t hurt her feelings, he just didn’t want to anger his host mom.

“I see. Well whatever. She can visit as long as she’s not a nuiciance.”

This made him angry. He usually wasn’t one to go off on authority figures or anyone for that matter, but no one talked about or to his friends like that.

“Back off Stacy. You’re not my real mother, and you will most certainly not talk about my friend like that!”

Stacy fumed.

“Get out of my house you ungrateful brat!”

She slapped him across the face and pointed to the door. He got up and made his way out the door, Elizabeth still entwined in his arm. She looked up at him, hurt and upset.

“Don’t be sad, Lizzy. She’s a moron.”

She shook her head and gently kissed his cheek.

“She hurt you! Come on, you’re coming home with me and momma will take good care of you.”

A blush came over his cheeks as he followed her.

“I’m ok, really. She didn’t hurt me that bad…”

But she wasn’t taking no for an answer. She pulled him inside and went straight to her mom.

“Momma, my friend got hurt.”

April turned around and smiled.

“It’s good you’ve found a friend. We’ll take care of him….”

She stopped in her tracks and looked over both their faces and arms.

“Something happened didn’t it?”

Elizabeth started to cry and wrapped her arms around him tightly, afraid April would do something to him.

“Momma, we got into a car accident because a drunk driver hit us and we went off the side of the road and….”

He stopped her.

“It was partly my fault, ma’am…I looked to my side for a moment and didn’t see it coming until I had to swerve out of the way…”

April shook her head.

“Thank you for saving her life. Even if you had a part in the crash, you still saved her and didn’t leave her to die. Now, let’s get you two fixed up.”

She went to the medicine cabinet and brought out a first aid kit. They both sat on the couch next to each other. She pulled out alcohol pads, bandages, and needle and thread. She tended to her daughter’s wounds, which were few and not too serious. When she finished with her, she moved on. Elizabeth grabbed his hand and looked up at him with big blue eyes.

“Squeeze my hand if it hurts ok? I’ll be here.”

He nodded nervously and bit his tongue. April looked up at him and shook her head.

“Don’t do that sweetie, you’ll end up biting it off.”

She gave him a towel to bite down on and stitched up his arm. He tried not to squeeze too hard on her hand so he didn’t hurt her, so the towel received the most abuse. Sure, he had gotten stitches before, but they were still painful. She finished within minutes and cleaned the rest of his cuts before sending them upstairs.

“You two behave yourselves!”

Elizabeth pulled him to her bedroom and flopped on her bed.

“If you want your own room there’s one next door, but you’re welcome to stay here with me if you wanna.”

Truth be told, he didn’t want to sleep by himself right now. He missed home with a burning passion, and just having someone to cuddle up to would be nice. He sat on her bed and fought the tears that stung his eyes. She crawled next to him and gave him a gentle hug.

“Nicky? Did I do something wrong?”

He looked over at her.

“No Lizzy, you didn’t. I-I was just thinking about my momma….”

He burst into tears and curled up in a ball on her bed. He missed home so much, but he wasn’t ready to give up. Elizabeth lay next to him and pet his head.

“Did she die?”

He was still crying, but he mananged to talk.

“N-no, I just m-miss h-home.”

She sort of understood, and she was beginning to become upset by him being upset. She sat up and started to flap her arms and whimper. Nicky sniffled and held her close.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you upset Lizzy.”

“It’s not your fault, Nicky. Do you wanna call your mom?”

He nodded and wiped his eyes as she got her cell phone out for him. He dialed her number and waited for her to pick up.

“Hallå? Vem är det?” (Hello? Who is this?)

He began to cry again.

“Mamma, det är jag, Niklas.” (Mom, it's me, Niklas.)

Her voice softened.

“Niklas, baby, vad är fel? Varför gråter du? Är allt okej?” (Niklas, baby, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Is everything alright?)

He got himself under control and explained everything that had happened. The car crash, the mean bitch that was supposed to be his host mom…everything. He heard her gasp.

“Jag är så glad att höra att du är okej! Och du har gjort en vän? Det är underbart älskling!” (I'm so glad to hear you're okay! And you made a friend? That's wonderful honey!)

He heard April calling them downstairs for dinner.

Dinner already? Wow, time sure flies by fast….”

“Ja mamma, jag har att gå nu, jag ringer dig senare. Jag älskar dig och jag saknar dig så mycket. Var försiktig.” (Yes mom, I've got to go for now, I'll call you later. I love you and I miss you so much. Stay safe.)

He blew her a kiss.

“Jag älskar dig också, Niklas.” (I love you too, Niklas.)

He hung up and went downstairs with Elizabeth. His eyes were red from crying, but he felt happier now since he got to hear her voice. April set the plates in front of them and led them in prayer before eating.