‹ Prequel: Obliques
Status: read this story on wattpad!!

Oracles

o·n e p·a l p i t a t i o n

Our journey across the mountains finally end when we arrive in Quint, a conurbation practically made out of glass. It's by chance that we stumble upon this clandestine place. Quint's leaders have been kind enough to welcome us in their walls, refuel us, and house us.

I accompany Kier to meet with the head leader, a greying man named Leather, and his wife Josephine. In Quint, there is a lack of colour. The habitants are attired in variations of boxy white clothes made out of polyester. They are Outliers too.

"Again, we want to thank you for your hospitality. Letting my people stay is a big risk, I understand," Kier smoothly says to Leather.

"No need to worry," Leather replies, "Your people are safe here. Polaris is a big threat to all of us, so why not unite?"

Josephine chimes in after handing us some hot beverages.

"I'm sure it must have been difficult for such a young leader to take on a big responsibility," she says, "I'll never know how you managed."

Kier nods, "I have a good team on my side. My men and I are combatants and can handle pressure well."

"Ah, I like to hear that," Leather says, "I'm sure my people will learn many talents from you."

I quietly listen to the formal chitchat. My beverage is very sweetened.

"My focus is to get ready for defensive measures, if ever Polaris attacks us again," Kier admits.

"Oh, but please rest first," Josephine squeals.

"Yes, take some time to rest from your journey. We'll slowly get into military matters. The technicians are able to get signals from Polaris, so we would know if an attack were to come."

I see Kier's jaw twitch.

"So did we, but the strikes that destroyed Badok weren't able to be detected ahead of time," Kier presses on.

I quickly place my hand on his arm, sensing that he's getting tense. I don't want him to get on anyone's bad side. It's too early for that. Kier breathes out, calming.

Leather sees this and faintly smiles.

"I understand your frustration. But I urge you and your men to rest. Come back with a clear mind. Then we can set plans, as you wish," Leather says.

"Yes," I say, "We agree. We'll go. Thank you."

I pull on Kier's arm to follow me out Leather's bureau. I can already feel the glares.

"You know there was no point pressuring the president in military discussions," I say, "He was generous enough to take care of us. That should have been enough request for one day."

Kier and I sit in our apartment compound. He's been silent.

Every compound is a small square shaped room, lit with downlights. It has a thin featherbed, a tall window with a view of the mountains, a desk, and a small bathroom next door. I believe we're on the 127th floor. Each floor shares a main kitchen area.

"Kier, say something," I direct.

"There's nothing to say," he retorts.

I huff, "Just don't be mad at me."

He looks away, "I'm not."

I roll my eyes and head to the bathroom. I'm in desperate need of a shower.

I jump in the shower and the water falls automatically. I begin to think about the last 7 months of my life. Everything changed in an instant. I've been everywhere, more places than I wanted to be. I decide to not have any regrets on my actions that led me to this. All I was good at 7 months ago was sewing with needle and thread. Now, I have to help lead a whole generation fight an ongoing battle. I sigh heavily, feeling the weight. On top of all this, I have to deal with knowing my match, the one thing I worked hard on avoiding. Not only do I know him, I have to share everything with him. Feelings, temperaments, sensations, pains... So far, I've been good with ignoring the pains and the choleric burning in my body. But I'm scared that they'll just get worse with time. I don't know how I'm supposed to deal with this. What bothers me most is Kier seeming fine. Either he doesn't get pains or he's really good at concealing them.

When I return in the room, Kier vanished. I find some clean clothes to put on and crawl on the mattress. Though my shower hasn't soothed my burning skin, I can bear the pain. I shift my eyes to the window and watch the storm brew with lightning. I can't hear a thing. The glass must be soundproof. Before my breath fogs up the glass, I go to bed.

Days pass, and I notice Kier keeping his distance. We barely exchange words. Also, he disappears when it's time to go to bed. I decide to let him be and mind my own business.

Josephine gave me a little job to give sewing lesson to young girls of Quint. It takes up most of my day, but I enjoy doing it. In the evening, I stay with Ame.

"Tilt is going to be so upset. I lost the bracelet he made me," Ame sighs to me, distraught.

We walk to the cafeteria, choosing our dinners.

"I'm sure it's in the compound somewhere. Must have slipped off when I was changing or something," she says.

"Ame!" someone calls.

The two of us turn and watch a girl walk to our table. She's slim and resembles Josephine in stature.

"Oh, hello," Ame greets. She turns to me and introduces the girl. "Sage, this is Deja. I'm sure you've seen her around. She's the president's daughter."

I smile politely.

"Mind if I sit with you?" Deja asks, joining us, "How was your day?"

"Mine was alright. I lost Tilt's bracelet, though. I'm a little annoyed with myself. I can't remember where I put it last."

Deja laughs and then looks at me.

"Oh, I just work with some of the girls. Sewing and stuff," I say.

"Well, I was busy planning the chandelier parade with my mother. You guys have to come. It'll be tomorrow night," she smiles.

"Sound fun," Ame lifts.

"Festivities, dancing, food, drinks, it'll be a blast. You'll need a date though," she says conditionally.

I pout and focus on finishing my plate of rolls.

"Oh, then we'll need to find Sage a date," Ame teases, nudging me.

"No," I sigh, "No need."

Deja gasps, remembering something, "I have to tell you about this morning."

We both look at Deja. She continues in a hushed tone.

"I went to the gym for my early yoga session, right. Me and my friend always pass by the men's gym, to you know, sneak a peak," Deja explains.

Ame giggles. I just stare at my last roll.

"And I have to say, you have a lot of good-looking guys. Plus, they're all fit. I don't know why they're always in the gym," Deja shrugs, "But there's this one guy—Oh my god, he's so hot! He's really tall, tan, and dark curly hair. He's got green eyes..."

My eyes shoot to Deja. I know who she's talking about. Something makes me bite the inside of cheek.

Ame says, "You mean Kier? He's our leader."

"Yes, him. He also comes by my father's office. But this morning, he was shirtless and—"

My throat coughs hoarsely. I prefer not to hear anymore.

"You okay?" Ame gives me a weird look.

I nod, "Yeah,"

Deja continues, despite my efforts.

"Anyways, I want to ask him to come with me to the parade," she tells us.

I interject too quickly, "Kier's a serious man. He doesn't enjoy parties or parades or anything."

Ame and Deja stare at me blankly.

"S-since he's our leader, you know," I try to save my skin.

I take a gulp out of my water, wanting to keep my mouth quiet.

"I suppose," Deja says, immodest, "But I'll convince him."

It's starts in my toes.

I pick up my tray, wasting my roll, and swiftly leave.

"I have to go," I say, exiting the cafeteria.

Ame calls after me, but I don't stop. I rush to the elevators of the apartment, pushing the up button a million times, frantic. It rises to the pit of my stomach. I curse under my breath. When the elevator arrives, my lungs burn and my throat closes in. People come in and out the elevator. I try to stay motionless, so that nobody notices me choking. I speed down the hall and go inside my compound. I lock myself in the bathroom, trying to strip down. I only manage to take my pants off. My shirt becomes a hurdle and I give up. The skin all over my body stings, like I'm on fire. I grate my skin with my nails. I just tumble into the shower, wheezing. The water routinely falls. I want to scream, but my throat has completely closed off. What the hell? What the hell is this? This never happened before. I fall down on my knees. I pound my chest, trying to keep my heart pumping without air. The cold water does nothing. My fingers aggressively itch my skin. I can't breathe!

I can't breathe!