‹ Prequel: Obliques
Status: read this story on wattpad!!

Oracles

t·w o p·a s s i o n s

Two strong arms wrap around me, hauling my limp body out of the shower. My mouth inhales sharply and I'm able to breathe again. Everything just stops so suddenly. The pain dissipates, though my head is still spinning.

I look up and see Kier. I mumble incoherent words, before my mind gives up and I pass out.

◈◈◈

I can feel the morning light warm up my eyelids. I crack them open and rub them. I realize I'm in bed, but with someone.

Kier's arms are still locked around me, as he rests behind me. I can feel his heart thumping on my back. I like it. It feels good, too good. I stare at the damage I've done on my arms. I look like I had a fight with a cat with a hundred claws. Thin red scars show all over my arms and legs. I touch the shiny paste over the scars. It must be ointment. I try to think back on last night. I can't even remember how bad the pain felt. It's like it erased itself out my memory. Whatever happened last night must have been the worst match pain, because I never woke up like this.

My heart races with panic when I remember Ame's story. She told me her father went as far as using knives. I think further in my memory, when Sentries used to execute those who never found their match in time. Perhaps the executions in the Hitherlands was done for the same reasons Badok banished unmatched people... For the thing I'm going through.

"Kier," I say.

I know he's awake.

He breathes lazily in my hair, "Yeah?"

"Has it ever been this bad?" I ask him, uncertain.

There's a long pause in the air, before he speaks up.

"Back when we were in the mountains," he says, "And you saw that my ribs were broken..."

"Yeah," I say.

"I broke them."

A cruel shiver runs down my spine. I had thought that that injury was from the war... It's one thing for me to be in pain. But I can't stand the fact that Kier's suffering because of me. I don't know how long I can go on. The only thing is...

"Tonight, there's a parade," I say, hoping that he's listening and not falling asleep, "There's a girl, she's the president's daughter. She likes you. You're going to ask her to be your date."

I pull away from his arms and get up from the bed. I walk to the closet, pulling out some fresh clothes. Kier hasn't moved from the bed. I brush my fingers through my hair.

"It's best to court the president's daughter, especially if you want him to listen to your demands," I conclude.

With that, I go out the door. The faster, the better.

I gave the girls a lesson on how to knit their own scarves, since winter has arrived. The girls talked about the parade more than knit things, but I didn't complain. The sight of wool alone got me itchy and sweaty.

The day went by quickly, of which I spent mostly in my room. The green digital numbers on the clock contrasted with the dark of the room. The night falls, fostering a clear starry sky. The stars seem so close from where I am. I don't bother going down to the cafeteria, as everyone is off to the festival.

I know Kier is at the festival, too. I'm sure he took my advice, because he knows I'm right. If I don't think of him, then I might be okay.

I look out the window and count the mountain points I see, just to keep my mind busy. Then, I rummaging through the closet, trying on the crisp white polyester garments, critiquing their fit on me. After a few minutes, I look in the mirror and notice my skin getting blotchy from heat. I realize that it's my body heat. I slip out of the body-con wear and return to my usual loose fitted tank top and shorts. I drop on the bed, fanning myself with my hands. I'm restless. I bet Deja's wearing a tight short dress that shows off her curves and bust. I'm sure Kier's enjoying the sight. Even if he's not particularly enjoying, I'm sure he's not complaining. I imagine she's on his arm by now, showing him off like one of the beauty trophies she has in her bedroom. I'm sure she's planned to bring him over to her place, which is fine. It would be best, if he stayed the night. I get up to grab a water bottle loitering on the desk. The water isn't cold enough to quench my thirst. I leave my compound and head to the main cafeteria downstairs. It's deserted and dark, as most of the lights are off at this late hour. Only moonlight through the wall windows helps me see where I'm going. There's an old janitor retiring from moping the eatery. I pout. I guess the cafeteria isn't open. Desperate for a glass of water with ice in it, I hop over the cafeteria counter and make my way in the back kitchen. I open one of the big refrigerators and pull out a nearly frozen bottle of water. I snap open the cap and gulp it down. I sigh, feeling a little better. I decide to head back to my room. I lean the cool bottle on my burning forehead.

I close the refrigerator and spin around. A silhouette by the door makes me freeze.

"So you come down here too, huh?"

My brain tells me that that voice belongs to Kier.

"What are you doing here?" I whisper, squinting my eyes in the dark.

He leisurely walks closer. I take deep breaths, lowering the bottle.

"I could ask you the same thing."

"B-but you're supposed to be with Deja. At the parade. Remember?" I spell.

He lifts a brow, "Says who?"

"Says me," I reply abruptly.

Only a few inches away from me, Kier grabs the water out my hand and guzzles down the remainder. I scowl, feeling annoyed and hot at the same time. He's standing too close, so I back up until I reach the counter. I fold my arms.

"We had an agreement."

He shakes his head, approaching me still. He sets the empty bottle on the counter and bolts his eyes into mine.

"No, we didn't," he differs, "All you did was say the stupidest thing I've ever heard come out of your mouth."

I cast my eyes down, wondering he got so close.

"You should have gone to her," I mumble.

I can feel his warm breath cascade on me. The short sleeves on his t-shirt are rolled up, showcasing his tattoos that caress his muscles. I slowly look up, scared to make eye contact. His face is freshly shaven, making his jaw line clearer. His curly locks are tied back. His green eyes are still vivid, even though it's dark in here. Why am I staring? My body heat rises, forcing me pant. I can use another water bottle.

Just when I move a muscle, Kier plants his hands on the counter, holding me hostage. My heart pounds, as he leans in closer.

"You annoy the hell out of me," he murmurs.

I notice he has trouble breathing, too. I watch his lips part for air.

"Good," I say breathlessly.

He props down his forehead on mine. My hands don't know what to do with themselves. I feel his body push against me. My skin tingles and my body quivers. My eyes close.

His lip presses down on mine. I open my mouth for a breath and kiss his lips again. The feeling is uncontrollable. My fingers reach for him. He kisses me harder, pulling me in. I breathe in his fire. The sensation escalates. Kier crashes his lips with mine, his firm hands violently fumbling beyond my tank top.

This scares me... how I can't control my body, but Kier can...