‹ Prequel: Obliques
Status: read this story on wattpad!!

Oracles

t·h r e e c·o n f l a g r a t i o n

The feeling was like ripping velcro when Kier pulls away from me. My thoughts move like a speeding train. Still feeling his breaths on my skin, I refuse to open my eyes. I feel myself shaking, craving for another second on his lips.
"I've been," Kier breathes a whisper on my lips, "Waiting so long... to do that."
I slowly open my eyes, afraid to wake up from this dream. I watch him watch me. His gaze devours me whole. I can never seem to catch my breath. Mixed feelings run up and down inside me. I don't know what's changing in me, but it's too frightening to face. I get lost underneath his touch.
"Kier-" I murmur.
I watch Kier straighten up, adding inches between us.
"You're shaking," he says deeply, lifting his hands to caress my cheeks. I look at him, wanting him closer. His thumb runs along my swollen lips. "And if I don't control myself..."
He fails to finish his sentence. I realize what it is I'm doing-what we're doing. I realize what I'm asking for.
He shouldn't have kissed me. He shouldn't have touched me. Now I don't know how to feel. But how can I regret something that feels so amazing? I gasp and manage to make a quick escape from his arms.
"I need some water," I say in a rush, reaching for the refrigerator again.
"Sage," I hear his deep voice call me.
I don't turn around. I feel too embarrassed that I let myself get carried away... I don't have the strength to face him. This is carnal... that's all this is. It's infatuation. It's obsession. It'll build and I can't deny that. This doesn't mean anything, really. It's only what our bodies make it to be. I walk out.

"So that is how you do a double stitch," I show the girls again.
We sew aprons today. We finally got past hemming, though they still have difficulty getting things even. I don't mind repeating the steps a hundred times... anything to get my mind off last night.
There is a knock by the entry. Josephine stands there in her classic white outfit with a broach embedded in diamonds. The girls I teach all line up and give Josephine a formal curtsey, signing good morning in unison.
"Good morning girls," she smiles. She then looks at me, motioning me to come out with her.
I have the girls return to their double stitches and follow Josephine. We walk a few steps in the hall, until we reach outside. It's a sunny day and the mountains seem lower than usual. There are no clouds in sight. The buildings are fairly tall and surrounded with clear crystal glass. I stare at the people walking in the central park, where grand floral sculptures stand. The long silence begins to make me nervous, so I look over to Josephine.
"Is everything all right?" I ask.
"Yes," she answers, "I just wanted to ask you something."
Uh-oh, I thought. I try not to make a face.
Josephine hands me an unrolled paper.
"Since we come from different lands and you've been with us for a few weeks, our medical team has finally agreed to have an open clinic for you all. They will help provide vaccinations for children and regular check-ups for men and women. I thought it would be beneficial for your people, as our climates and food may be very dissimilar."
"That's sounds great," I assure her.
"Also, we would like to archive everyone's emblem."
It's like she hit the hammer right on the nail. I had a feeling something like this would come up.
"Why?" I ask, hiding my wariness away.
"Well, for a smooth matching process of course. This is how we keep things in check with our citizens. And as you know, I consider you as one of our citizens," she smiles with comfort.
"So you make sure everyone is matched?"
"Yes. Otherwise, there are complications," she nods.
"Okay. When there are complications, what do you do?"
She sighs, "I dislike having to go that route, but I guess it's only fair for you to know our procedures. Those who are unfortunately unmatched are kept in an asylum. We don't have a choice. But we do our best to feed them, clothe them and naturalize them."
I frown at the new term.
"What do you mean naturalize them?" I questioned.
"It's a long process to explain and it would arduous to explain it at a time like this. I wouldn't want to burden you," Josephine brushes.
So in Quint, just like anywhere else, the matching system is mandatory and there is no escaping it. If that's the case, I want to know why Deja, her daughter, wants to date someone who isn't her's... Kier.
"Alright. I understand," I decide to say.
Josephine's pearly smile appears again, "The President will make an official announcement next week. I wanted to let you know in advance. Also, please run it by Kier as well."
She then leaves on her own accord. I realize something upon entering the school again.
The archiving... she told me. She and the President knew that Kier would flat out say no to something like this. They figured out his temper on just the first meeting. Plus, they noticed how I miraculously was able to calm him down. That's why she told me. They think I have the power to persuade him. But should I? Even I think this is wrong. I replay Josephine's words in my head. She considers us as citizens. She's saying we need to assimilate and submit to their conduct. If they have all of our emblems, then they can control us and use us to their advantage... like the Cygnus. I sigh. Everyone is the same. Controlling.
I guess there is no point not telling Kier. I just don't want to see him.