Slytherin Princess

Twelve

Weeks past before anything else happened of interest in the manor.

Everyone would gather that evening at Malfoy Manor for the announcement of my engagement to Draco. When I was informed that it would be announced, I felt like there was nothing I could do about it- like I was trapped.

I spent the entire day leading up to the event, locked in my bedroom. I refused to open it for anyone- thankfully Lucius, Draco, and the house elves all respected my wishes. Narcissa, however, was the one who simply unlocked the door by saying Alohomora and flicking her wand ever so slightly. She then barged into the room and shut the door once more behind her.

"I know you are angry with us all, but you cannot just close the door to the world and expect this all to disappear." She said with a sigh, setting whatever she was carrying down on the bed. She then sat down on the bed as well, placing her palms down flat on the tops of her thighs. I didn't turn around to look at her, I stayed still where I sat in front of the mirror- but I did look at her through the reflection that was in front of me.

"Why is it, whenever something happens to Draco you do everything you possibly can to get him out of it; yet when it comes to me you do nothing." I spoke softly. I guess in a way, one could say I was jealous.

Jealous of the fact that Draco has had his parents by his side all his life. A father that has taken care of his family with every piece of himself. A mother that was always there, by his side to comfort and care for him, to tend to him when he was sick. While they had extend they care to me since I was young, it wasn't the same.

Lucius and Narcissa weren't the one thing that I had ever really wanted. My real parents.

"Now Lennox, you know that we have treated you and Draco equally since the first night that you came to us. We love you." I could hear the sad tone that was hidden in her voice. It made me feel bad for saying what I had, but it didn't change the fact that it was the truth about how I felt.

"Look, sweetheart, I know you're upset with the situation at hand but I have something for you," She turned to what she had set down on the bed, "This is the dress I wore the night Lucius and I announced our engagement. I thought you could wear it tonight." She moved to pull the dress out of the box. I finally turned around, just in time to see the bright green fabric.

Just like the other two dresses she had given me, they were absolutely beautiful. It was a beautiful shade of green, with black designs to accent it.

"Oh my gosh, it's wonderful. You really want me to wear this?" I gasped out, running my fingers over the fabric. "Of course I do, Lennox. I always hoped that one day I would have a daughter of my own that I could give this dress to one day. I may not have a daughter by blood, but I have you. You are my daughter, Lennox, and I wouldn't want it any other way." She smiled over to me, reaching out and placing her hand on my arm. I let her words sink in for a few moments, before quickly reaching out and wrapping my arms around her.

"Thank you," I paused thinking very carefully of what should be said, "Mom." Narcissa wrapped her arms around me in return. We stayed like that for a few moments before she pulled back. "I'll leave you to get dressed. Lucius will be up in a bit to escort you downstairs." She informed me quickly before walking away. Leaving me alone in my bedroom.

I stood there in silence for a moment after she left before moving to get dressed. Something in me felt completely shocked, but at complete peace.

I put on a light amount of make up, it consisted of only black eyeliner and smokey eye shadow. Then, I stripped myself of the sweat pants and tank top that I had been lounging around in all day and pulled the dress onto my body carefully. It was absolutely beautiful, it was the kind of dress that made me want to twirl around and dance.

I chose a pair of black satin pumps with open toes. After grabbing them from the closet, I sat down on the bed in order to pull them onto my feet without falling over. When it came to my hair, I chose to do it how Narcissa wears hers. I pulled a few pieces back out of my face, and pinned them there- the rest hung freely behind my back.

Then finally, I put my jewelry on. The ring and bracelet that Voldemort had given me during my time at Hogwarts last year. The ring that symbolized my engagement to Draco would be given to me tonight, once I go downstairs.

I thought that I had more time than I actually did before having to go down and face the music, but I was proven horribly wrong when I heard the light knock coming from the other side of my door. It was like deja vu of the night I met Voldemort, of the night that I found out about the engagement. Yet, this time instead of Draco standing on the other side of the door, stood Lucius standing with his back straight as he waited for me.

"You look stunning." He gasped out upon laying eyes on me. I said nothing as he clutched to the cane in his hand. He was dressed the same as he always seemed to be, in a suit and tie. He was always dressed as if he were going to a funeral or something. In fact, so did Narcissa and Draco.

"I know you probably resent me for making you go through with this- I just wish you would understand my side of things. If I had any say so in the matter, then this wouldn't be happening; but I don't." He began trying to explain, as he stepped over the threshold and into my bedroom. Though, he stopped when I put my hand up in the air- as if telling him to stop.

"I know it wasn't your decision. It's something that Voldemort decided for me, and I know that there's no way out of this without getting all of us killed. So, for my family, I'll go through with it. Now, we should probably get downstairs." I explained to him.

The expression on his face changed from that of one looking for forgiveness, to one of pride. "Thank you for understanding." He smiled, reaching out and offering me his arm. Quick to accept, we walked out of my bedroom together and made our way down the hallway. Down the hallway, down the stairs, and into the dining room we walked together in silence. Though, I felt as if my heart might stop when I found Voldemort and the rest of the Death Eaters of importance sitting around the table.

For some reason I did not realize that it wouldn't just be the four of us on this occasion.

Narcissa was standing beside Draco off to the left of Voldemort, and I could feel my hand begin to shake ever so slightly as we began approaching them.

Lucius handed me off to Draco, before stepping back and taking his place next to Narcissa. I could feel Voldemort's cold eyes on me, watching the two of us very closely. Taking a deep breath, I took a moment to take in Draco's appearance.

He was dressed, like his father, in a three piece suit and tie- very handsome. His face was freshly shaven, not the slightest bit of stubble in sight. He really did clean up nicely for this didn't he?

Reaching out, Draco took my hand in his own before we both turned to where we were facing Lord Voldemort. "My Lord, I have asked you hear tonight to make an announcement." Draco's voice shook as he spoke. I couldn't blame him, if I were the one speaking my voice would be shaking too. "Go on, boy." Voldemort looked between Draco and I a few times before his gaze came to a halt on me.

I did my best not to show how nervous I was to be anywhere near the man.

"I intend to take Lennox as my wife, my Lord, with your approval of course." Draco concluded his little announcement. A few of the Death Eaters sitting around the table began whispering among themselves, questioning what had just happened. Voldemort was quick to stand from his seat, and his robes spun out around him as he approached the two of us- let's just say my nerves didn't settle in that moment. In fact, they worsened.

"Of course, dear boy. I could not have wished for a better match even if I put it together myself- which I did." At the sound of his words, the Death Eaters chuckled lightly. Upon hearing the approval, Draco pulled a ring out from the pocket of his suit jacket, and slid it onto my finger.

The ring itself felt like it weighed a ton on my finger. The band was silver, with a small green band running along the center; and the jewel on the top was a large emerald. It was absolutely beautiful, and breathtaking. Literally. Realizing just how real the situation at hand was, I felt as if my throat was closing up and I couldn't breathe. My hand shot up to my chest, as I tried to find some air.

"Please, excuse me for a moment." I breathed out; turning I walked away. I did my best to keep my cool until I made it through the room, and found myself heading out of the manor.

The sound of my heels clicked loudly as I walked through the house- once I had gotten out side, I quickly pulled them off before walking through the grass. The green strands pushed their way between my toes as I walked over the lawn to where a tree stood dying, with a small swing ties to one of the branches. It was something that Lucius put up for me when I was a child, after months of begging for it of course.

I sat down on the swing's seat and grabbed the rope with one hand, the other still on my chest as I struggled to breathe. There were so many things running through my mind, and so many emotions shooting though my body.

In just a few shorts weeks, I would be turning seventeen and I was already engaged to a boy who's two years younger than me; Draco had only just turned fifteen. And it's not just some regular engagement, it was an arranged marriage. An arranged marriage to the boy that I looked at like he was my little brother, and absolutely nothing more. How was he not as freaked out about this as I am right now?

Hearing the sound of footsteps approaching me from behind, I initially thought that it was Draco or Lucius coming out to fetch me and bring me back inside. "I'll be back in a moment, please just leave me be- I need some air." I gasped out, not bothering to turn around at first.

It was only when I felt fabric come down around my shoulders did I turn my head to look over my shoulder. Standing there, was the one and only Severus Snape, and he had just placed his robe over my shoulders. The wind was blowing his hair around in his face, and I couldn't help but laugh ever so slightly at the sight of it.

"What are you doing out here, Severus?" I questioned, turning my body ever so slightly. Still sitting on the swing, I had maneuvered my body so that I was facing him ever so slightly. "That was quite the exit you made, the Dark Lord sent me to make sure that everything was alright; but I think we all know the answer to that question, don't we?" He had a look that I didn't recognize in his eyes as he looked down at me.

"Do you think I'm weak?" I gasped out, unable to stop the words from escaping form between my lips. My words seemed to shock him, as he took another step towards where I sat. "You are only weak if you believe that is what you are." Severus was always the one to speak in that way- Draco or Lucius would have just said yes outright. My body seemed as if it were moving on its own as I stood up from the swing and took the final steps towards Snape, closing space between us.

"I don't think I can do this, marry Draco I mean. I have never seen him as more than my brother and I doubt I ever will; but if I don't do this then Voldemort will more than likely kill them all. I can't let that happen, they're the only family that I have." I explained what I was feeling in the best was I could.

My hands clutched to the black fabric that rested around my shoulders, keeping me warm in the chilly weather. The wind brushing up against the fabric, brought a lovely smell up through my nostrils. It was a smell that I couldn't really describe but it was rather soothing, and I immediately recognized it as his smell. Whenever I just so happened to be close enough to Severus I always seemed to get the scent of something I could never describe and now I knew exactly what it was.

"Some things in life, we don't do because we want to but because it is what's best for our friends and family. Even if it means our unhappiness for their protection. Just remember that, Miss Black, you may not be fond of the idea of marrying Draco but it is very likely that doing exactly that is the only thing that will keep you and your loved ones safe."

In a way, his words were reassuring and had a calming effect on me. I knew that he was right. I would do anything to keep my loved ones safe. The Malfoy's may not be my real parents, but they were the only family I had- and I was going to do everything I can to protect them. Even if that means marrying Draco.

"Thank you, Severus." I sighed, leaning up I pressed a slight kiss on his cheek, just by the corner of his mouth. His body stiffened up as if shocked by my actions and I had to admit, they shocked me too.

But that didn't stop me from smiling as I walked back to the house, with his robe still wrapped tightly around my shoulders.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lennox

And the first move towards Snape has been made! She kissed him ;) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <3