Slytherin Princess

Nine

After Snape told me the truth, things were awkward to say the very least. Especially since I had detention with him for three more nights in a row after that.

Thankfully, two out of three of those nights there were other students in detention as well, so Snape wasn't able to say anything to me even if he wanted to. On the third night, however, I was once more the only student in detention and this time Snape tried his best to talk to me- but I ignored him at every turn, not wanting to talk about it anymore than we already had.

Soon enough after all of that had come out into the open, the third task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament approached; and unfortunately this time I did not have the option to stay behind and study. Not that I needed to anymore, as I had caught up on all of my work.

Instead, I was herded into a stadium along with all the other students in order to watch the event. It was set up like the first event, the main difference is that instead of there being rocks and dragons, there was grass covered the ground and a large labyrinth made of hedges in front of us. Judging off of that, I was going to take a wild guess and say that, like the second challenge, we would just be sitting around watching inanimate objects while the four students competing ran around inside of it.

I didn't really see the point in any of this. Draco, of course, was only interested because of the bet between him and his father, and in hopes of seeing Potter getting hurt. The rest of our little group agreed with him on that point, probably just to stay in Draco's good graces.

I rolled my eyes as I sat down among all the students who were standing up around me, watching and waiting. None of them had thought that we would be sitting here doing nothing, just like they were a few weeks ago.

Come to think of it, the only other student who probably figured it out would be Hermione Granger. From what I've seen and heard about the girl, she is rather smart. If anyone, other than myself, thought to bring a book or something with them for entertainment, then it would be her. No one else in this bloody place would have ever thought to even consider doing something like that.

It was kind of nice not having to also wear school uniform while being forced to sit out here and do nothing for God knows how long. In fact, I was wearing a pair of loose jeans, a long sleeve grey shirt, a purple plaid shirt, and a pair of black heeled boots. Something in the back of my mind screamed at me this morning until I finally put on the ring and bracelet that I had mysteriously received.

My wand was strapped to my ankle, using the same little holster for it that I had worn the night of the Yule Ball.

I'm not too entirely sure how long we were sitting there, if I didn't know any better than I'd say we were sitting there for days; but since I did know much better than that, I knew that we had actually only been there for a couple of hours.

About an hour and a half in, the girl, Fleur Delacour was pulled out of the race and brought back to the area where the rest of us were sitting. Then, about another hour and a half later, Viktor Krum was also brought back to the little arena type area. Now, all that was left to wait for the final two, Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory, and see who was the winner.

I sat patiently, still reading the book that sat in my lap as we continued to wait.

It was only when people begin cheering, and the familiar sound of the band playing filled my ears that I finally closed my book and stood up in order to see what was happening around us. Harry and Cedric had both appeared, Harry on top of Cedric who wasn't moving. The sound of Fleur screaming was drowned out by the sound of the band playing- no one really noticed what was going on around them.

Of course, until everyone was urged to stay in their seats that is.

That was the night that Cedric Diggory died during the Tri-Wizard Tournament. People were heartbroken at the loss of their friend and classmate. As for me, I didn't really care. I had heard the boys name, but had never actually met him. Until this whole Tr-Wizard Tournament thing came up, I never even knew the boy existed.

After that, everyone was shoved into the great hall in order to have some kind of funeral service for the boy. We were, as usual, sat with the rest of our house, with all the Professors sitting up front with one another.

I was sat square between Draco and Crabbe, though I did my absolute best to sit as close to Draco and as far away from Crabbe as physically possible as I listened to what Dumbledore had to say about Cedric.

"Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, equally far minded, and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered, by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish for me to tell you this; but not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory."

I could feel my body tense as the words escaped from Dumbledore's lips. Cedric Diggory had been murdered by Lord Voldemort. I felt as if a sudden realization came washing over my body. All the random gifts I had been receiving, the ring and the bracelet, from the mysterious 'V' character. It was all him- Voldemort.

"Now, the pain we all feel of this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us that while me may come different places, and speak different tongues our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that; and we will celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true, right to the very end."

I felt as if I couldn't breathe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lennox at the third task.

Well, we have offically come to an end of Goblet of Fire. There will be one, maybe two chapters including the summer between this and Order of the Pheonix.

Let me know what you think.