Status: Work in progress

Queer Maria.

Chapter 7

It had been a week since Alex had finally admitted his feelings for Rian and asked him to be his boyfriend and the two boys were gloriously happy. Of course Rian had said yes and things had been so great between them, despite Alex still being confused about his sexuality and scared of what others would think. So far, they had only allowed Jack, Alex's mom and Rian's parents to know about their new relationship but they were planning on telling Zack very soon. Alex was just scared that Zack would judge him and perhaps not want to be in the band anymore but Jack kept trying his best to reassure him that Zack was not like that. Jack knew Zack a lot better than the rest of the guys, thanks to their countless online and phone conversations. He and Zack had become very close friends and he knew Zack would never judge anyone for anything they couldn't help. He just wished he could make Alex see that so that maybe he could relieve his best friend of some of his nerves, at least. He hated seeing Alex so worried about this stuff but he loved seeing how happy he was with Rian. And they really were happy. Jack could tell just how much they liked each other - and just how much this had been a long time coming.

-

Zack had travelled down to see the boys yet again for his first band practice. He was so excited and nervous at the same time. His mom had dropped him off at Rian's house and now, he was walking up to the front door, his hands kind of shaking a little as he knocked on it. Kathi opened the door and smiled when she saw Zack, inviting him in.

"Hey, Zack! The boys are in the basement. I'll take you down there." Zack smiled at her, following her as she walked to the basement stairs.

"Thank you so much, Mrs Rogers." Alex had already filled Zack in on the situation with Rian's parents.

"Oh, please! Call me Kathi." Kathi waved her hands dismissively as she said it, finally stopping walking. "Here we are, just go down when you're ready." She gave Zack a reassuring smile, leaving him to his own devices and going back to the living room. Zack took a deep breath in, bracing himself to go down there. He hoped today would go well. As he walked into the basement, he could have sworn he saw and heard Alex and Rian flirting with each other in the corner of the room before all 3 boys saw him and quickly returned to normal, saying hello to their new bassist. Zack shook his head, blaming it on the nerves he was feeling, and just decided to go and get on with the practice.

-

It was the end of the day and Zack had, had an amazing time at his first band practice and he was so relieved. Once it was over, Alex started to speak to the rest of the group, the true frontman coming out in him right then. It made the boys smile though. He seemed in his element speaking to them. They had definitely chosen the right boy to be their lead singer, they thought.

"Guys, I have something to say!" Alex cried, a huge smile on his face. "I really enjoyed today and I actually think we're really good! I don't know about you but I think it's time we become a little more legit. I think we need a name." The boys all nodded and Jack screamed his reply from his place in his guitarist's spot.

"Playground X!" Alex laughed.

"I don't think so, Jack." Jack pouted when Alex shot down his idea. "I want us to truly be taken seriously, guys. Think about it."

"Maybe we'll be able to decide on one by next band practice?" Rian questioned from behind his drum kit. Alex nodded.

"I agree. We need some time. If any of you come up with something, remember it until next band practice. Maybe we can decide then." Alex smiled as all 3 boys nodded and with that, band practice was over and Jack and Zack were on their way upstairs already. But Alex still had something to say to Rian. Once he was sure the other 2 boys were gone, he walked over to Rian, who was busy packing up his drums. He tapped his boyfriend on the shoulder and Rian turned around, smiling when he saw Alex.

"Hey, handsome." Rian said, making Alex blush. "What's up?"

"I've been thinking..." Alex looked down at his feet shyly, shuffling them in his nervous state. But it was good nervous. "Maybe it's time we go on a real date?" He looked up at Rian through his eyelashes, smirking. Rian smiled wide at that. He'd been hoping Alex would ask that.

"I think that would be wonderful." Rian kissed Alex, Alex melting into his touch immediately. Rian pulled away when he needed to breathe, suddenly on cloud nine just like he was every time he kissed Alex. "Now go!" Rian smirked. "You're distracting me from putting my stuff away!" Rian slapped Alex's butt jokingly and Alex gave a look of mock shock in return.

"Rian! I am a lady!" He bit his lip to keep from laughing as Rian grinned at him cheekily. "Ok, I'll go. But next week, after band practice, we're going on a real date!" Alex turned around, walking up the stairs, but not leaving until he heard Rian's reply.

"Can't wait."

-

It was finally the next Saturday, after band practice, and Alex was getting ready in the bathroom. He was so excited for his first date with Rian. His mom was driving them and he was so thankful for how she'd reacted to all of this. She'd agreed to keep the secret from Alex's father until Alex felt comfortable enough to tell him and she had been so welcoming to Rian. Alex could tell she was worried, though. She had made Alex promise to text her every half an hour because she was so worried about other people judging the couple. She was so worried about Alex getting hurt. There was a knock on the bathroom door just then, interrupting Alex's thoughts.

"Alex, honey, are you ready to go yet? It's getting late."

"Just a second, mom!" Alex cried. He had been trying to pick out a blazer to wear but none of them felt right. He really wanted to impress Rian. Just as he pressed the red one to his torso again, checking his reflection in the bathroom mirror, his mother opened the door, tears filling her eyes as she saw how smart and grown up her son looked. It was then that she saw all the other blazers strewn about the bathroom and she chuckled, closing the door so that Alex's dad, who was sitting on the couch downstairs, couldn't hear them. As far as Peter was concerned, his son was going on a date with a girl tonight and Isobel thought it best that things stayed that way. At least for now. Isobel took the red blazer from her son's grasp, putting it on him and smiling at his reflection.

"Wear this one, honey. He'll love it."

-

Isobel had picked up Rian and he was now sitting in the backseat with Alex, the two subconsciously holding each other's hands. Isobel smiled at what she could see of the couple in her rear-view mirror. She had never seen her son so happy before and she knew it was worth all the nerves she had about his sexuality.

"You guys OK, back there?" She asked.

"Yeah, mom." Alex looked at Rian, smiling. "We're great."

-

"You look really good tonight." Rian told his boyfriend as they walked into the movie theatre together.

"You don't look too bad yourself, mister." Alex grinned, giving Rian a peck on the lips. Rian smiled, truly so happy to be here with Alex, to finally get to experience a date even. Even though he knew Alex still needed some time to figure things out, they could at least forget about all that for one night and just be together without a care in the world. They bought their tickets, ordered their popcorn, snacks and drinks and went in to see their movie, all the while holding hands and smiling like idiots. They were both so excited for the night ahead and nothing was going to ruin that.

-

After coming out of the movie theatre, they decided to grab some food, Alex making sure to text his mother to let her know he was OK. The two boys went to the nearest McDonald's, sitting down at one of the tables once they had gotten their food. Alex sat with his chin resting on his palms, smiling at his lover who was eating his fries. Rian looked up at the older boy, breaking out into a smile too.

"What?"

"Nothing. It's just- tonight's been so great." Alex replied, finally tearing his eyes away from Rian and starting on his food.

"It really has." Rian told him, so content with everything right now. He wished that they could just stay like this forever. But alas, they had to go back to the real world sometime. Suddenly, Rian put a fry in his mouth, getting an idea. "Hey! Let's lady and the tramp it." His voice was muffled as he tried to keep the fry held between his lips, his eyebrows waggling suggestively, and Alex giggled. Oh, that giggle.

"That's so cheesy, Rian." The older boy stated but he found himself leaning in anyway, taking the other end of the fry and biting it until he reached Rian's lips, kissing him gently but passionately. Right now, he didn't even care about the other people in the restaurant. He didn't care about what other people thought of him. He was so happy just to be with Rian and finally forget about his worries, even if it was only for one night. Finally, the two boys pulled apart and Alex licked his lips, still trying to taste his boyfriend on them. He found himself thinking that perhaps he should confess something to Rian that no one knew yet and even though he was a little scared of Rian's reaction, he started to speak anyway, trusting his lover so fully, it surprised even him. "Rian, can I tell you something?"

"Of course." Alex sighed, going on.

"I've been thinking lately and I realised how much I wanna perform." Rian looked at him, confused, and Alex realised he should elaborate. "As Maria, I mean. I want to show people her. Kind of like drag, I guess. But I'm scared." Rian grabbed his hands, a reassuring smile on his face as he stroked them with his thumbs.

"Baby, I think that's great!" Alex looked up at Rian immediately, a blush forming on his cheeks and his smile radiating. That was the first time Rian had called him baby. "You shouldn't be scared. I enjoy seeing Maria so much and I'm sure other people would enjoy her too. Just don't lose focus on the band, that's all."

"I would never!" Alex cried. "I would just maybe do drag as a secondary thing or something to pass the time and earn cash before we make it big! And we will make it big." Rian smiled as Alex said this. He really hoped that was true. Originally, he had seen the band as just a hobby but he was quickly coming to realise that it meant so much more to him than that. Those 3 boys meant so much more to him than that, especially Alex. He wanted to perform with these guys as a career, make music with them and travel the globe. And personally, he felt that they may just have a shot at all that. Just then, the radio in the restaurant changed to one of the boys' favourite songs, Head On Collision by New Found Glory. "Yes!" Alex shouted as he pulled his hands away from Rian's to fist pump the air, gathering the attention of some people at the next table and making Rian giggle. "What a perfect way to end the most perfect day." Rian smiled softly at his boyfriend and suddenly, the two boys heard a beep outside. It was Alex's mom ready to pick them up. They quickly gathered what was left of their food and began walking towards the entrance. They reached it just as the song was going into the pre-chorus. And it feels like I'm at an all time low... All Time Low, Rian thought as the cold night air hit him. What a great name for a band.