Status: First ever Walking Dead fic... Here we go...

Better Angels

Compass

4. Compass

"What?" Rick asked, clearing his throat like he hadn't expected any kind of conversation from me.

I shrugged a little. "My parent's house, thirty-two miles from town, five from the nearest neighbor. We've got plenty of food and water stocked up and enough medical supplies and bullets to go to war."

Rick, among everyone else, stared at me in dead silence and I began to feel uncomfortable. I shifted a little and dropped my eyes, playing with a stay blue string hanging at the edge of the tablecloth. Feeling pretty awkward with all eyes on me and no alternate conversations.

"That don't sound too bad." Merle spoke up, I never noticed he had come in, let alone taken a seat at the table.

"Yeah it don't, but we need more details than the facts you've laid before us about the 'easy life.'" Daryl said, leaning around T-dog to look at my face with those suspicious, narrowed blue eyes.

"Is there a forest 'round it fer hunting and walkers ta be in?" He asked.

I shook my head and took a deep breath. "No, there's not many trees... Think of it more at the 'bald swamp of Georgia'. Have never seen a walker one around the property." I stated firmly.

"But that's not saying there will never be one." Andrea prodded.

I nodded "That's true, and I'm not trying to mislead you all into thinking that we have it good, we still do our weekly supply runs, and watches."

Rick nodded and sets down his fork. "Which direction?"

"North." I say.

He nods again and looks thoughtfully at the other group members for a second decision.

"I think it's a great oppertunity, Rick. For all of us." Lori says looking over at him and touching his hand.

"And if it's not?" Rick asked her, looking into her brown eyes.

"I'll personally escort you back to town then, if you'd like." I volunteered, not entirely certain where all this bravery was coming from.

They murmured among themselves, I took my chance. "Want to know the greatest thing about this safe house?" I asked, leaning across the table.

"What?" Daryl demanded impatiently.

"Running, hot water." I said with a devious smile.

I have never seen so many smiles over the subject before, but they were excited, Andrea, Carol, T-Dog and Lori were begging with Rick to go while he tried to calm down the room to speak again.

"OK!" Rick shouted, standing up and planting his palms firmly on the table. "We'll go, only if Aries can swearthat this safe house is all that she has told us, and more." Rick looked at me, I was a little more than surprised that that was all he wanted considering the heavy topic of relocating.

I nod "It will exceed your expectations, we even have a few guest rooms." I offered.

There were slow smiles, concerned looks and a few lost in thought, nibbling on their knuckles. It'd be hard... I know it would be for me. To leave, to go... Blindly into a community you know nothing about. It's a scary thought...

The next morning, I woke to quiet shuffling and half swore that it was a walker, I grabbed my knife from my boot and rolled over and pulled it on whoever was there in a fourth of a second.

"Holy shit Aries." They breathed, the light was dim, from one remianing lantern, I could make out the familiar features of Glenn.

"What? What are you doing up?" I asked apologetically, tucking the blade away into my boot seath again. Looking up at him.

"A few of us are up now, packing mainly." He shrugged, I looked around him at the remaining fallen bodies on the carpet, most of them the younger ones like Carl and Beth.

I had totally spaced that we were leaving today. Like in less than five hours. Why I had decided to mention it at all to these strangers remains a mystery to me.

"Sorry..." I mumbled, embarrassed. He laughed though, lightly. "It's cool." He said. I followed him through the halls of the small farmhouse.

"Y'know, it's actually pretty cool that you can defend yourself with that knife." Glenn said, glancing back at me as we walked.

"Thanks." I laughed quietly. "I got it from my uncle, he fought in Vietnam." I stated quietly, I was never one to brag or even share stories about myself selflessly... Actually, I wouldn't call it bragging... More like trying to remember how many tragic deaths were caused by the blade I held... I shuddered at the thought.

He nodded "That's pretty cool."

"You say 'cool' a lot." I observed, tapping my chin thoughtfully. He just chuckled.

We walked into the attached garage, one of the cars we drove on the supply run parked in there along with Daryl and Merle's 'shared' bike.

I caught myself staring at it longer than I'd like to admit. And just my luck, Glenn noticed too.

"Nice, huh?" He also stood beside me as we admired the machine.

"Looks fast." He added on, his eyes had a sparkle as they skimmed over the black paint, absolutely and every bit as enthralled looking at it as I was.

"What're you two gawkin' at?"

Daryl rounded the car, wiping his hands on a red bandana, his tawny eyes switching between us warily.

"Just admiring your bike." I said, rocking back and fourth on my heels.

"Well..." Daryl paused, standing beside us and also looking at the bike. "It is technically Merle's. He bought it, I just look after it every now and then." He shrugged a little, adjusted the crossbow strap on his shoulder and walked towards the trunk of the car, I looked at the bike for a few more moments before sucking in a breath, swallowing my pride and approached Daryl for a normal conversation that wouldn't involve the subjects of weapons, walkers or survival.

"Hey Daryl." I said, as I approached, I could tell that he leaned against the trunk door, he glanced up, not in surprise, but almost in hidden triumph.

"Could tell it was you coming." He said nonchalantly in his rough southern accent.

My curiousity flickered "How?" I asked.

"Your footsteps, quieter than most the people around here, only slightly less stumbling than a walker."

I frowned at his defination of my walk, he compared my stride to a zombie.

I nod anyways "So, what kind of bike is that?" I ask my real question, the only reason I'd be brave enough to converse with the generally foul mouthed redneck man.

He shrugs a little and looks up at me "I reckon it's an old one, if you want the serial number and precise model, I'd advise you ask Merle, he loves that thing." He shrugged once more, I stood awkwardly, not exactly sure what else to say.

"Why? Do you have a thing for bikes?" He asked, trying to conceal his curiousity descreetly.

I nod and smile a little bit. "Yeah, I have one back home... A Harley. I used to ride with my friends, but since then my dad has sifend the gas out of it and declares it just to be another distraction for me from my work and another beacon to draw in walkers."

I catch the tiny bit of sympathy behind his eyes before it's gone again and he presses his lips into a thin line. "Sucks..." He muttered, his eyes focusing on something far away.

"Hey Aries, Daryl, you guys can start to gather some extra firewood, we're gonna clean this place up of anything useful before we head out." Rick said, leaning around the doorway from the garage into the house, he looked the same today as he had since I'd known him. Only today he wore a Sheriff's uniform with a badge from Kings County, Georgia.

I nod and Daryl gets up and walks out the open garage door, the sun is coming up now, lighting everything in a dim glow.

I walked alongside Daryl, but gave him his space, at least six feet between us, we walked in silence towards a faded red barn across from the farmhouse.

I'd guess that either he already knew where the wood was here or had a hunch, because we rounded the barn and there was the rimenents of a woodpile here, maybe six logs left, sun bleached and mostly barkless.

We scooped up what we could carry, splitting the quanity between us, we walked back towards the garage. I heard a low whistle and turned. Daryl paused a few feet away, looking at me.

"Where you goin? Come on, I know a place ta put it." He jerked his head towards the other side of the farm house, I jogged after him and kept my six feet of space between us as we walked towards a blue pickup. My dad had one of the same model, blue even, just not the same shade, his was navy blue.

I set my pile on the ground and climbed into the bed, he handed up the logs and I set them right behind the cab, looking down at them one more time before hopping out.

We walked back in the same silence, it wasn't awkward silence, just comfortable silence. Neither of us felt the need to chat about supplies, weapons or how the world went to shit, that fact was outstandingly obvious.

As we approached the house, the three cars were parked outside, right beneath the porch. Rick directed the packing traffic and Lori and Carol stood with Carl and Sophia, talking quietly.

Glenn walked out of the house with a big grin on his face, "You forgot this." He said, lifting the neck of the acoustic guitar I'd played almost two days ago to dangle in the air between us.

"It's not techinacally mine..." I said with a sly smile.

He shrugged a little "Well, you are welcoming us into your home, and since you are the only one who knows how to play, it might as well be. Here."

He handed it to me, accepting it, it felt like a sack of bricks. I shouldn't be accepting gifts from the group, but the expression of sheer joy on his face told me, case closed, no returns, it's yours forever.

I nodded a tiny bit and adjusted it in my hands, "Thank you, Glenn." I smiled, looking up at his face in the sunlight.

He chuckled "No problem, Aries."

It was weird hearing my name again, these people, well most of them, spoke to me so casually. Like I'd always been with them. Though I knew they were all still wary and careful of me, maybe just a little accepting.

"Hey Glenn, Shane needs your help with something." T-dog said, emerging from the house and standing on the farmhouse porch with a shotgun propped over his shoulder.

Glenn nodded, sent me one last small smile and jogged up the steps and disappeared inside, I turned and walked towards Rick.

"Nice guitar." Rick said.

I nodded and looked down at it again "It is..." I paused, lost in thought for a moment. "Anyways, when do you think we'll be heading out?" I asked, turning to stand beside him as we looked at the others, packing and looting out the sheds for items.

"Around noon, I think. We are planning on stopping by the pharmacy and grocery store in town first though, you know, look for a few extra things before heading out." He looked straight forward as he spoke.

"So are you sure your folks won't mind us all there?" Rick asked, his voice concerned.

"Because I'm not so sure these people can take another uprooting." Rick said, looking at the others, moving about the yard.

I nodded "Don't worry, my dad has been thinking about having bigger numbers anyways, more people mean more chance of survival, also danger of being spotted, luring in more walkers, but nevertheless, I think it'll be fine." I said honestly. Looking over at him. He nodded and walked towards Lori and Carol, Carl and Beth sat on the ground, leaning against the foundation of the house. Talking about something and using their hands to explain what appeared to be pretty complex.

I nodded, mostly to myself and went to help Beth and Maggie count supplies and make a list for the 'shopping trip'.

Almost an hour and a half later, the cars were packed and so was everyone else, we looked up at the farmhouse one last time and loaded up, Merle got the bike, which Daryl didn't complain none, in fact he didn't look like he wanted to drive it anyways, as he approached the blue truck we had put firewood in earlier.

I buckled my seat belt and rested my hands in my lap and looked out the window.

The winter scenery moved by in a blur as we drove. Little to no green left anywhere, some snow still left unmelted in the ditches. The trees stripped of their leaves except for the brown, shriveled up reiments, still hanging on by a thread.

The town closest, had also been my home town most of my childhood, it's where we are going to raid. A small country-folk town with a population of 3564 people. Sure, it wasn't your perfect little small town, either. It had crime, cops, alcoholics and even a few murders. It wasn't your ideal 'clean' town where you sat on your porch in a pretty white dress, sipping fresh lemonade and watching the kids ride by on tricycles.

It's where you sat on your porch at 1:56 pm, still in holy tweety bird pajama bottoms, smoking a cigarette while the kids that pass on the street were driving motercycles or skateboarding, the cars that pass were literal pieces of shit with music pouring out the windows with so much bass it shook the window frames.

I'm glad now that I have always lived a long way from town, something like that would be intolerable.

The town was about a fifteen minute drive from our past inhabitants, already I could see the maze of buildings below the next hill.

I rode in a car with Shane driving, T-dog in passenger, Maggie and Glenn beside me in the backseat. In the red car ahead of us held Hershel, Beth, Rick, Lori and Carl.

Andrea drove an RV behind us, I remember hearing it belonged to someone she knew, I couldn't remember who.

Merle led the way on the bike, Daryl drove behind us in what I found out to be his truck, the blue one.

As we got onto main street, there were about six walkers stumbling around the flipped cars and fallen street lights.

We drove through slowly, Shane looked up into the mirror to keep an eye on Daryl.

Daryl looked frustrated and bored, arm propped up against the window, fist against his cheek as he drove with one hand, impatient to just plow through the walkers and move on.

We got through them, and drove to the one grocery store in town, across the street was the pharmacy, so we got out and decided who would go where, Rick was in charge of this. Shane and Andrea volunteering to guard the vehicles while we look inside.

Glenn, Maggie, Hershel and T-dog were going to the pharmacy, followed by Merle who had a suspicious look about him.

The rest of us went to the grocery store.

I followed, close to the end of the line who walked in, stepping over broken glass and splintered wood, I looked down the dark aisles, I hadn't been in this store since the outbreak started, Dad said all the stores were probably raided already and that it was just plain stupid suicide to go into any of those places.

So we used what we had, old clothes and sheets were used as bandages, we used alchohol as a cleanser and made the most out of every little thing, it was a rare deal that you got real food other than vension or rabbit. Usually birthdays or holidays that we would bring out the finer foods. Which those were things like hamburgers and mashed potatoes.

I seperated from the group who looked through the loafs of bread for mold, I walked down the aisles, maybe six of the overhead flourescent lights flickered with ambient energy, sending flashes of pale light down the aisles at random intervals. The store must have been hooked to a backup generator of some kind if there was something left.

I walked slowly, the occasional crunch of shattered glass and dirt under my boot was all I really heard other than the quiet murmurs aisles over where the others were debating on the quality of each remaining loaf.

I didn't see anything really worth saving, or anything at all, for that matter. It was mostly the torn wrappers and boxes, the reminents of whatever product had been left there.

I paused, mid-step and crouched, rummaging through a cardboard box on the bottom shelf, not finding anything useful other than two lighters and a wad of bungee cable.

I tucked those into my backpack, and stood up, walking around the next corner, I looked up and down, eyes missing no detail as I searched for some unscathed package of food, there wasn't much left.

Nothing we needed.

I turned and walked on to the next aisle. I looked up, reaching to pat around the top shelf since I couldn't see it. I heard a faint rustle behind me and glanced over my shoulder, probably a mouse.

I winced at that, I hate rodents, as does everyone else. though I don't mind them as long as they keep their distance. I wouldn't run screaming.

All I felt on the shelf was the soft pale powder of dust, all over my palm when I pulled it back, I dusted it off on my jeans and turned around, there was the deli less than three yards from me, the glass refridgerators remained unscathed, though that area smelled of rotting meat. I stepped a little closer, close enough to see my dim reflection in the glass, I was resonably tall, I guess. For a girl, 5'6". I have long brown hair that's always in the way and blue eyes. More turquoise than anything though.

I hadn't seen my reflection in a while. I just looked back at my dark outline in the glass when I heard creaking behind me, the orderly creaking of footsteps.

There was rustling as well, I should probably tell them that there isn't anything in this aisle, just as I am turning, another figure appears behind my reflection.

A low groan.

My eyes widen and my heart speeds up and my hands itch to grab the knife from my boot, I turn slowly, enough to see the familiar pale, peeling skin and grey irises with bloodshot eyes, wispy hair that looks similar to dried corn silk.

I looked back at it for a fourth a second, trying to comprehend that the very monster I'd spent nearly two years trying to avoid... Stood right in front of me, wheezing.

It was still for a few moments before it lunged at me, and I ducked and stumbled forward, grabbing my knife and spinning to face it again, I trip over a loose floor tile and fall on my ass, I hold the handle in white knuckles as it advances, it's gurgling hisses and attempts to make a coherent sound.

I roll out of the way and move, I'm not going to scream for help and risk luring more of those things.

I slip and fall on my stomach, the knife falling out of my hand and skids two feet away, under a shelf. My ears ringing and vision blurry for a moment before the walker falls on me, straining to bite my neck, hanging jaw snapping at air, mere inches from my collar bone.

My sweat slick palms pressed up against it's cheekbones, forcing it's head away from mine. I'm struggling to keep it far enough away to act.

My teeth clenched tightly, I'm sweating and panicking, memories of my family flash through my head. Would death be so bad?

Yes, it would, painful too, at the hands of a walker, throat torn out then have someone shoot me in the head out of compassion.

I bite my lip so hard it bleeds, and the walker pauses for a half a second and lunges full force at me, blood craze lost in it's lifeless eyes. It hunches it's body over me, still snapping. I see my chance and lunge for it.

I pull my legs up enough to press my feet against the walker's rib cage and kick with all my strength, it falls bacwards into a support beam and lashes out again, I roll over and launch myself towards the shelf, fumbling for the knife, it's familiar hard handle falls into my grip and I pull my hand out, bringing the blade high above my head, just as the walker threw itself back at me, I buried it into it's skull, twisting until it's to the handle and it's movements stop, twitching once before I pull out the blade and it collapses on top of me.

I hold my breath, the breathe in relief, a quiet, breathless laugh, though I am not humored by my almost-demise. I shoved it off of me and got up, it's cold, brown, sticky blood all over my neck and chest, all over me. I hold my breath to ward off the nausea of smelling like the undead.

I wipe off what I can, but it doesn't change the smell. I decide I'm going to stick to the others, I head down the aisles, proceeding to grip my knife as I search.

I find them, well most of them in the soup aisle. Comparing cans and planning the most stratigic way to carry as much as possible.

"What the hell happened to you!?" Daryl exclaimed, everyone looked up at me.

"Are you bit?" Rick asked, grabbing my hand and pulling me to sit on a little wooden stool.

I shake my head "Just found a walker." I breathe tiredly, the whole act of exicution still swirling around my head like a mist.

"Then why the hell are ya covered in blood?" Daryl demanded, standing several feet away.

"Because I'm not an accomplished killer like all of you are, I've killed six walkers, tops."

Daryl narrowed his eyes "How the hell'z that possible?"

"Dad never let me do it, hardly let me leave his side on supply runs." I shrug a little bit.

After a few minutes I still caught them giving me weird glances.

"If it's creeping you out so much, I'll shower first thing when I get home, we can't all look like runway babes." I mutter, rubbing blood off my knuckles.

Carol snickered.

I smiled a tiny bit.

We finished up pretty soon after, and loaded all the full backpacks into the trunks of the cars, Hershel, Glenn, Maggie and T-dog finished up about the same time.

We finished up, had a quick discussion with me about directions, my heart dropped to my stomach when I was given seating arrangments.

"You can ride with Merle in front on the chopper, so if you run into trouble, you can get out of there easily." Rick said, "We'll all follow you." He nodded.

I felt a little less than happy about riding with Merle, but I'd suck it up and remember that I was the one who offered the safe haven to begin with.

I sigh descreetly and nod, walking past the row of cars to the front where the black motorcycle was parked, Merle leaning against it, shoving something small and orange into his jacket pocket.

He fumbled around and waited for his signal from Andrea, who drove the RV behind us.

When she waved at us, he got on, then paused and looked back at me with a wicked grin.

"Daryl tells me you know how to drive on'a these." He said.
I nodded a tiny bit "Yeah, I guess so."
"It'd be better for you to drive, then. Over this damn engine, I ain't gonna be able to hear your directions for shit." He got off and gestured to the seat.

I was relcuntant, but really wanted to drive it, so with a grin, I hopped on and gripped the handle bars, that were a little higher than I am used to, but still I didn't feel like I had to stand on my tippy toes to drive it.

Riding a motorcycle, to me, is as relaxing as listening to music. It calms me down and takes my mind off the terrible things waiting around every corner... Like when you lose a game show, only the results are far more threatening.

Merle got on behind me, cautious of skin contact as he reached for the handles and put his hands beside mine.

I started the engine, Merle flicking my ear because I was just sitting there admiring the roar of the engine.

"Go!" He shouted over it.

I nodded and got the gas, we took of at speed, and I was relinquished with a wave of nostalgia, wind against my face, beating my hair against my skin, making it feel like a straw broom, but it was all worth it for the rush of andrenaline.

I laughed, loud enough to lift my spirits, yet quiet enough so Merle wouldn't hear me. I was enjoying it emensly, sitting atop a beast of mass destruction. Ahh great... I thought. I'm going all motercycle nerd.

We drove on the road that goes north, that's where my family' farm is, thirty-two miles out, as the crow flies.

I've lived here most of my life, at least since I was two, I remember spending my second birthday in the living room of my former house, the walls lined with boxes, my birthday doubled as a moving party. I used to live in Colorado, that's where all my family is.

Aunts, Uncles, Grandmas and Grandpas, they are all there, except for my uncle who lives in Cheyenne and I have a few distant cousins that I've never met who live in Kansas.

It's about an fourty-five minute ride to the house, half hour to the correction line. We went around it, and after four more miles, we passed our neighbors house, the Darius's. We weren't that close to them, or anyone around here really. Apparently they had a thing against Coloradians, sooo, they thought they could survive on their own, last I heard only three of the neighbors around here are still alive.

Darius's don't happen to be one of them.

Our mailbox is another two miles up the dirt road. Get this, the mail box is about five miles from our actual house, sucks, indeed. But it doesn't really matter anymore now that we don't get mail.

The mailbox came into view after a few more minutes, it's the shape of a John Deere tractor. My dad favors the Ford, but it's a tractor mail box, so who can complain?

"See that house up there!?" I called back to Merle.

He looked up "No!" He yelled back.

"There!" I pointed between two low hills where a small farm resided.

He nodded, slightly confused. "Hardly looks like any farm I ever saw!"

I laughed.

It's fenced off all around, a gate at the end of the drive with both a padlock and combination code. The drive way goes all the way around the hay field so you can see em' coming before they are even close enough to be a threat.

The grounds are tree-free other than the three big ones in the backyard behind the house. The house has been here for over a hundred years, has three bedrooms, two guest bedrooms in the basement, and a single study in the attic that had since been converted into a bedroom. It has a window facing over the drive, it's the 'sniping perch'.

We stopped at the gate at the head of the drive. I killed the bike engine and hopped off, I had never been this happy to see this place. I smile to myself, letting it fade before I turned to Merle.

"We're gonna scare the ever-living shit out of my parents." I laughed quietly and dug around in my jacket pockets and found the little key, I walked towards the gate and undid the padlock, then entered the combination code on the other, pushing open the gate, Merle pulled up and everyone else did too, once they were all in, I locked back up and jogged past the cars and got back on with Merle, behind him this time, the driveway is pretty self-explanitory.

We were moving again, the air crisp and cold, smelled of damp hay. The sky clear, the sun hovering close to the western horizon, that's where it sets.

As we got closer I could see the house, it's every outstanding detail. The dead bushes in a row outside the back door, the antique famr equiptment in the backyard with faded brown vines all over them.

The three grouped grain bins south of the house's front door. The big work shed behind the house, the green house south of it. Everything as I remembered, even though it's only been a few days.

Merle pulled around, followed by the RV and the other two cars, then Daryl's pickup.

The enigines cut simulataineously, And we all sat in silence, taking it in, I hopped off, turning, everyone rolled their windows down, waiting to hear the next move.

"Ok, everyone wait here. There is a very good chance they are armed and in the hiding places in case of hunters coming through, I'll find them and talk with them, then I'll come to you, I'll be back in about ten minutes."

I jogged towards the house, pausing at the front door, why was I nervous? They are my family, it's not like they're gonna shoot me.

Though... They are probably pretty panicked, so I'd better tread lightly.

Inside the house was cool, but I could feel the heat in the air, the main room had billows of smoke coming from the stove, a bucket beside it with droplets of water at the bottom, yep. First sign that they were panicked, sloppy extinguishment of fire.

"Mom!, Dad!" I shouted and stood in absolute silence. I heard a creak above my head, I know where they are.

I jogged up the stairs. "Guys, I'm alive. Not the first talking walker you've seen." I said as I rounded the top of the stairs and met the barrel of a shotgun.

"What the-!?" I shouted, ducking, knocking the shotgun away.

Dad scratched the back of his neck nervously "Sorry..." He muttered, suddenly I was being hugged all over my my family, I laughed as I listened to them spill their worst case scenarios.

"I could have swore you'd... Never make it." Dad said, setting down his gun and putting his palms on my shoulders to look at my face.

"What happened to you?" He asked, his look indicating the blood stain that cover most of my upper body.

I shrugged "Walker attack."

His eyes widened. I put my hands up "But I'm not infected!"

He sighed and relaxed.

"I was saved, by this man, and-"

"A man?" Dad said skeptically, raising one eyebrow as though that was worse than being walker bait.

"Yeah, yeah, his name is Daryl, anyways, his group took me in, and well..." I scratched my neck and scuffed the toe of my boot across the wood floors.

"Well?..." He demanded.

"Well, I've brought them back with me." I said sheepishly, finally looking up.

"Why!?" He exploded, face turning red.

I took a small step backwards. "Because they are good people, they could have killed me but I was spared. They've helped me a lot."

"Just because they appear to be good people doesn't mean that they are!" He shouted.

"I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal." I said, looking at him "They have a doctor with them, plenty of people to go and runs and-"

"Lots of mouths to feed." He interrupted.

"Please, give them a chance, just talk with Rick and-"

"Rick, huh? First name basis already? You speak of them as though they are your family." he crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at me in what almost appeared to be jealousy.

I glared at him. "They can do great things for this family, besides, you've said it already that bigger numbers were of interest. You weren't going to go out and look for the kind of people we needed, so I did!"

We stood there in silence, I sagged my weight against my branch crutch, fuming. Me and my dad had never blown up at each other over anything, so it really felt like crossing the line by doing it now.

"I'm sorry, Dad." I mumbled.

"Aries, you just have to understand, the world is different now, no one can be trusted." He said, but I could hear his panic more than anything. "Nothing is the same anymore."

I looked down again "I know that, Dad. I'm not a little kid anymore, I understand the world for how it is now, a big spinning piece of shit." I smiled a little, but he gave me that fatherly look of disapproval.

I frowned "I didn't want to trust them, either, I'm not entirely sure that I do. But I've given them a chance, and so should you. You always told me to be my very best and do everything I could for one another." I let a small smile slide. "That's exactly what I'm doing."

"Honey, I'm just not sure about this either." Mom said, standing next to dad.

I sighed, seeing my end to this conversation "Mom, you always told me that I couldn't like something if I didn't try it." I walked back to the stairwell and looked back at them. "So try it."

I jogged back down the steps, as fast as I was able. Carefully on my sprained ankle, and out the front door, Daryl watched me cross the gravel as he leaned against the passenger door of his truck.

"So what's the verdict?" Rick asked, approaching me.

"I'm not sure." I admitted sheepishly. "Dad isn't totally thrilled about having a bunch of armed strangers on his property, but I'm sure he'll adjust."

Rick looked at me for a moment "Would it help him any if we handed over the weapons?" He offered. I shrugged, "That's something you'd have to work out with-"

"Me."

I turned around, dad walked towards us with his shotgun on his back, mom beside him and my little brother Jaden a few steps behind.

Dad wore his poker face, straight and serious. Hid narrowed eyes flitting over the others, the group looked back at him, waiting for him to speak.

"You must be Rick." Dad said, stepping only close enough to shake hands with him. Then stepping back, and looking around once again.

"And you are?" Rick inquired.

"Dave, David Collins." He said "This is my wife, Amelia Collins, my son Jaden and of course you know Aries." He spoke steadily, gesturing to each of us as he spoke our names. I couldn't avoid the flash of embarrassment that lit my cheeks red when everyone's gaze adverted to me.

"Aries." My dad said without looking at me, "Take the horse and run a perimeter run while I talk business." He said slowly, cautiously. I nodded "Ok..."

I turned and walked towards the shed, glancing over my shoulder, my dad and Rick still looking after my retreating figure until I was out of hearing range.

I grumbled and found my horse, a black horse. Orignally we found him and another horse on a supply run. Horses don't last too long in a apocalypse, I can tell you that much.

The horse's name was Jack, perhaps my bestfriend that I've confided all my trust into, I've never been very capable of befriending humans, even before everyone went anti-walker survivalist mode.

I patted his shiny coat before grabbing the complimentary shotgun off the rack outside the stall, it is for perimeter runs only, and only in emergency. Otherwise it's hands off. I check my wither anyways to see I have four arrows, I lift my bow over my head along with the other equiptment and hoist myself up onto his bare back, it was far more difficult when my ability is limited... But saddles take too long, though we do saddle them up when we go for longer runs or hunting trips.

I click my tongue, tossing a anxious look out the front doors, I'm not entirely sure about leaving them all here alone. To battle out claim, I would feel a lot better being present, if there is one thing I've got going for me, it's that I'm a negotiator, I will work until everyone has a fair say.

Though life isn't always fair, if fair at all.

I nudged the heel of my boot into Jack's side and he shifted forwards, I looked over once again, but Rick and my dad were gone, the others still stood around their collection of vehicles, some spoke quietly to each other, most of them stood silently.

I nodded at them as I rode past, when I got to the base of the dirt trail that had become worn into the ground from runs like these, I kicked into high gear and we took off galloping.

Riding a horse is similar to the rush you get when you ride a motorcycle, only difference is that you have a sore ass afterwards if you can't learn how to move with the horse in run.

The entire farm is close to two miles across, in width and length.

But it didn't take too long, we never see any walkers out here, but you can't be too careful prepping for it anyways, we do runs almost everyday, and almost everyday it's me who does them.

Normally, I'd drag out the ride as long as possible, but I wanted to wrap it up. I was anxious to get back and see what the decision was.

I galloped back to the house on Jack, leaning forward while the crisp, cold air bit my cheeks and threw my hair back across my shoulders.

I slowed as I got to the gravel, a simple trot as we walked towards the vehicle group. My dad walked towards me and I steadied Jack.

"What's up?" I asked, gathering his reins into my hand.

"I've made my decision." He stated, voice not giving away rather it was good or bad.

"And that is?..." I said it like a question.

"They can stay." He said with a small shrug. "But you are responsible for them, they mess up or become a threat, I will kick them out, understand?" He asked.

I nodded "Got it, I'll keep an eye on them." I started moving forward again when he put a hand to Jack's chest to stop me.

"Not only that you have to worry about, Aries. They seem like good people, but that doesn't mean that they are, just watch out for your own safety as well, ok?"

I nodded "I will."

I circled back to where Rick stood talking to Lori "You're all ready, I'll show you where you can set up camp."

He nodded, and followed after on foot as we walked around the cars.

"You could set up right here, though I'm not sure how comfortable rocks will be to sleep on." I said, looking at the area the cars already were.

"Really you could set up anywhere, out there, behind the shed, by the grain bins, wherever you'd like." I shrugged, we didn't really have anything of concern around, the could have the whole field behind the house if they wanted.

He nods "Thank you, Aries. Not just for the help, but for bringing us here, hopefully we can make a good impression and hang around a while."

I nod "No problem." Then I chuckled, "I don't think you'll have any trouble getting on my parents good side, it's my younger brother you'll have to look out for."

He laughed "Will do."

"I'll let you set up your camp, if you need anything else, I'll be in the shed."

"Alright."

I trotted towards the left side of the shed and ducked under the metal flap hanging crookedly there, the stable was improvised, so we didn't have much time in the dead of winter to create some horse shelter.

I took off his tack and hung it on a nail on the wooden post next to his area, brushed him down quickly and patted his cheek.

"Missed you, boy." I smiled, kissed his nose and put some hay into his trough. We have some dehydrated corn and carrots to give him when that runs out, and in spring we'll put the horses to pasture.

I checked Jessop's pen as well, he was an appalousa. I fed him, brushed him, then headed out of the barn.

"Where's water?"

I turned around, pausing mid-step. "Hmm?"

"Water?" Daryl asked, he'd caught me by surprise.

"Oh..." I said, lost in thought for a second. "Uh, there's a water pump over there, there, and there's one in that garden over there, if any of you would like showers, just come to the house and we'll hook you up." I said.

He nodded, processing this information "I'll pass that along... thanks." He muttered.

"No problem."

I was well aware that I'd be on overdrive for the next couple of days, helping these people get setup, lay of land and surroundings, Dad would be giving out basic rules and guidelines in the morning, no doubt.

I was confident that this would work out, we had plenty of supplies now and more than enough people to do more supply runs, we'd be fine. But my only concerns were for rather or not we could all live in harmony together, I know it's possible, but sometimes we all have a slip of the tongue. Say the wrong things, and it's enough to get you kicked.

I walked towards the backyard, I wasn't necissarily needed anywhere, the group were setting up their camp and didn't need some nosy teen poking around.

I stood at the base of the biggest of the three trees in my backyard, and the only trees for a mile or so, like I said: bald swamp. Nothing much other than the ferny shrubs growing in four long lines behind the shed in the pasture, but even then those things were tiny and in need of water and care.

I planted my right foot against the trunk and pulled myself up, grabbing a notch in the tree and hauled myself into the branches, scooting around, I sat four feet off the ground, looking up into the webbed naked branches, I knew that I could go higher.

I turned and manuvered my way up a long slanted branch, pulling my left leg up to wrap around a skinny one there that couldn't hold all my weight, so I wouldn't guilt it with that burden.

I shifted slightly, keeping balance while I stood slowly, arms spread at my sides like wings as I leant forward and threw myself against the branch, digging my finger nails into the bark grooves, I hoisted myself up far enough to see how distant the ground was.

I breathed out in exhilaration, then looked up at the several remaining feet until I break through the last of the branches and see the sky, I've never gone any higher then where I stand now, contemplating in my head, I move my right foor slightly, stepping up onto a knobby branch with my left, then the sturdier one above it, following the map of the tree further up, the pain in my ankle from my last tree accident reminded me to be cautious and not let the exhilaration and andrenaline get the best of me.

I pulled up onto a thick branch, one sturdy enough to sit on, I did that, I had finished my objective, I'd reached the top.

I looked out at the sun set, lowering itself over the snow glazed horizon in bright yellows and oranges, vermillion melting into lavender and violet, then hues of soft baby boy blue before fading into the darker cruelean blue that coated most of the sky until the eastern horizon, where it was darker as night fell.

I looked out at the fields, joy at the sight in my veins, I just wanted it to be real, though. In the real world, I mean.

Before all of this I was a nieve kid, too hopeful, maybe. I just knew how to take care of myself and wear the mask of emotionless bitch beauty. Smiling gives you wrinkles, resting bitch face keeps you pretty.

I didn't worry about my appearance, though. I would smile, if I could bring myself to experience pain like that. I had just lost my best friend and fresh wounds were still healing.

I remember the last time I saw her, and still woder today if she is even alive. Did she survive the walkers with the traitor? Hell... They're both traitors now. Nothing would be the same between us if she did come back or if I ever saw her again. She'd be the same, hard headed, unbelieving. And so would I... Hardened and paranoid, always knowing what to expect next and to give up being a kid to do it.

Not that I had too many opertunities to be a kid when she left, anyways.

I brushed my hair off my forehead with my hand, the back of it skimming my cheek and pulling away with a cool nip to it, I looked down at the shiny wet smeared trail across it. I felt weak for crying about something I can't change and feeling sorry for myself when there was still so much to be done. I don't have time for pitiful self-emotions.

I took in a deep breath through my mouth and exhaled it just as slowly, looking forward once again, I know it's not the end of the world, but it sure feels like it.