Status: First ever Walking Dead fic... Here we go...

Better Angels

Stories

The following morning, I woke asleep on my stomach, face buried in the pillows and I'd slept dreamlessly, but restlessly as well. At about four this morning I was up, rummaging through the bathroom cupboards for Tylonel.

I would rather be asleep, but being wounded doesn't change that fact that I have my daily duties to attend to. I dressed in a blue tank top and dark green cargo jeans.

Lacing up my boots as I do every morning, and checking for my knife, and then heading down the stairs slowly. I think I'm recovering alright from the fall out of the tree, it still bothers me, just not as much.

"Aries! Guess what?"

I was pulled from my thoughts of work and survival, looking up to see Carol.

"Hmm?"

"That mountain lion you brought back had enough meat on it to keep us in stock for a week." She said proudly, patting my back, I winced.

"Oops, sorry, sorry!" She grimaced.

I offered her a smile "No worries."

I looked around and noticed that we were the only ones in the house.

"Where are the others?" I asked.

"Outside, some of them are helping put meat in the freezer out there, Daryl's on watch, and the kids are playing tag."

"Daryl's on watch?" I asked, confused "Since when do we have a watch?"

"It was your dad's idea, came up with it this morning, said having more people around means more racket to bring in walkers, plus it will keep the spirits up knowing there's a watch, for the kids you know." She smiled.

By this time I had migrated to the kitchen for a left over biscuit and unsweetened coffee, not the way I'd choose to drink it, but I haven't got much choice.

"Aries..?" Carol asked hesitantly a few minutes later after I'd been sipping my coffee and looking out the front window in silence.

I turned around in reponse.

"I don't want to have to ask you with all the people in camp, but do you think you could watch Carl and Sophia for me today? I know there are no walkers, but still, with that moutain lion being around, Lord knows how many more there could be, I just want to be on the safe side." She said softly. I understood where she was coming from entirely.

"Yeah, I can do that." I smiled.

"Thank you."

The front door opened and Shane came in, not looking too happy either.

"Everything alright, Shane?" I asked, pushing away from the counter.

"Fine." He spat, pulling out it gun and checking the magazine.

"Then why are you acting like a serial killer after a spree?" I demanded, his nervous-anxious attitude was rubbing off on me.

"Just- I, I thought I saw a walker." He stuttered.

"What? Where?" I demanded again, grabbing my bow from where I'd left it last night on the counter.

"No no no, that's the problem, I already took care of it, but.... it, it wasn't dead." He said, ashamed.

I looked at him in confusion "I'm not seeing the problem, you're pissed of because it wasn't dead?" I asked.

"No, I mean it wasn't a walker, it was alive. Very alive, and it was Merle..." He didn't look nearly as disappointed about it being him as he should have, a little fucking remorse would be nice.

"You killed him!?" I exclaimed, setting down my coffee cup on the counter to avoid dropping it.

"No, Hershel is looking at him now."

"And?"

"And nothing else, look, if you're done with the 20 questions, I've got stuff to be doing." He grunted angrilly. I couldn't tell who he was more mad at, himself or me. I don't care too much either way.

I got my jacket and walked outside, the crisp October air nipped my cheeks and made them flush. I half jogged towards a white tent set up at their camp that was the 'hospital.'

Even though I wasn't all that close to Merle, I was still concerned.

I walked into the tent, it was warmer in there than outside, I leaned against one of the poles while Hershel worked over Merle.

When the crowd cleared out, all who remained was Hershel and Daryl. Rick was relunctant to leave.

"How bad?" I asked quietly.

"He's lucky considering how good of a shot Shane is, he'll recover."

"Where was he hit?" I asked, looking over his body for the telltale white bandages.

"Right shoulder." Hershel answered as he cleaned up, Daryl knelt on the groud beside his brother's cot, eyes lost and distant and he was in some kind of trance, probably plotting Shane's death.

After thinking over that statment, I realized how true it'd be.

Hershel gave Merle one last look then walked out of the tent, I looked after him until Daryl spoke.

"Sure, Merle is a little lippy sometimes, but this time he did nothing to deserve this." Daryl growled.

I looked down at him "What do you mean?"

"I mean it's not an accident like Shane's preachin', he shot Merle on purpose."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion "Why?"

He shrugged "Because he's a damn asshole." he grunted.

"I think we need to tell the others the real reason." He said, hopping up suddenly. "I know they'll be less apt to beliven' me, because I ain't their precious Shane, but at least the truth'll be out there."

He started towards the tent flaps.

"No no no!" I exclaimed, blocking the exit.

He glared down at me "What? You defendin' him?"

I shook my head "No, of course not. I'm just thinking about how the whole group will be effected by this." I stated.

"What're you runnin' yer mouth bout?" He growled.

"I mean that if you tell the group, it will eventually get back to my parents that you have a troublemaker-hot head in your group, they won't hesitate to kick you all out." I said seriously.

"Then you can convince them otherwise." He grunted, moving for the door again. I grabbed his arm. "You don't get it, do you? It took a lot just to convince them to let you stay here to begin with!"

His eye softened thoughtfully, he paused midstep. I dropped my hands back to my sides.

"Damn..." He muttered "I'll think about it first."

He walked out of the tent and left me looking at the curtains, what was he going to do? As far as I know, Merle is all the family he has left or at least all the family he has left that he cares about, to keep a secret like this for the good of the group didn't seem likely.

I bit down on my lip and looked back at Merle, snoring slightly, limps all over the cot, excpet for his wounded right shoulder, it was pinned right to his side.

I walked out as well, and carried on slowly, almost limping in motion to avoid constant contraction of the muscles in my back, I should be resting, but with this new news, you know what they say, or used to say, no rest for the wary.

{}{}{}


The day had gone on and off, good and bad. My back hurt like a bitch by the time I got to bed that night. I had followed Hershel's strict instructions of no lifting, kneeling or over exertion. But that was only today, keeping myself from doing that everyday until it heals could prove to be tedious.

I stayed in my bedroom most of the day, by the window, bow by my side. Looking down over their camp, watching Shane every chance I got. I didn't trust him, I hadn't really in the beginning, but now I have a reason to watch him carefully. He was a threat.

I wanted to go on watch, the boys had set up a ladder against the twenty foot high work shed behind the house for east access to a sniping spot, you could see the whole property from up there, but why does that matter? I don't get to be on the 'watch commitee' because my mom decided against it. Not just because of my condition, but for all time, because like always, she doesn't want me killing walkers. She wants me to stay the innocent little girl who has no idea what death is.

I glared down, Shane emerged from a tent, looking over his shoulder, I leaned forward a little bit to watch him closer.

He walked towards the ladder and jogged up it, speaking briefly with Dale who was currently on watch, then they traded places, and the worst part?... Dale gave him the gun.

I bit my lip, reopening old wounds as I watched. He didn't look like that big of a threat now, but that doesn't mean he isn't.

I watched until my back got stiff and I had to lay down, but I couldn't sleep, not when there was a trigger happy psycho on watch. Guarding the whole camp from God knows what.

I laid there for about twenty minutes until I got curious enough to want to sit up again, that's when Mom came into my room.

"How are you feeling?"

I shrugged a little, I couldn't even begin to express to her how I felt. "Fine." I lied.

She looked skeptical but didn't question it. "Ok... That's good to hear, I just wanted to ask a favor." She raised her hands in defence for some unknown reason.

"It's a small thing, you won't hurt yourself in the progress." She assured, did I really seem that fragile?

I nodded slightly, a little wary. "What?"

"Well Dale said that there was a figure of some sort moving around on the outskirts of the property, I'd like if you could ride out there and check it out real quick."

"Can't anyone else do it?" I asked, annoyed. "Surely there is someone out there who knows how to ride a horse, it's pretty self-explainatory."

She gave me one of those 'looks' meaning get your ass up and go check it out and then I don't care what you do.

I sighed and threw my legs over the edge of the bed and grabbed my boots, yanking them on harshly and grabbing my jacket and pulling it on roughly. Grumbling in pain and annoyance as I shrugged past her into the hall.

Jogging down the steps and out to the shed, I noticed the concerned look I got as I passed Hershel, Daryl glaring after me the way he does to everyone.

I got into the shed and didn't bother with the saddle, or halter, I hopped on and gathered a fistful of black mane and walked out of the barn and around the windbreak before breaking into a jog, then a gallop and I quickly approached the shadowy figure at the edge of the field, slowing down instantly, and stopping dead in my tracks, looking at it, stumbling along, head jerking to the right a few times, it's golden irises turned and locked onto me and it began to move a little faster, hungry groans fell from it's mouth and it almost fell several times, I didn't give it the chance to get too close, I got my bow and arrows off my back, loaded it and stretched, growling in pain as my back contorted with the shape of the drawn bowstring.

I let it fly and dismounted slowly, careful not to disrupt anymore, then walked towards it, standin three feet away and hovering over the brownish red pool that fled from the back of it's head, the fallen walker on the ground.

I yanked my arrow out of it's head, grabbed the black bandana from my back pocket and cleaned it off, looking down at it, I turned to look back at the house, Shane was on watch on the shed roof, I waved my arms and got his attention, a minute later a few group members jogged out to take a look at the first.

Dad was the last to arrive, and he looked worried, they were coming this way now, this far from towns and in the middle of nowhere. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was concerned as well.

"Well that's a first..." He mumbled after a moment of staring down at the lifeless corpse.

Dale, Shane, Rick and Hershel also gathered around it.

"Guess we'd better burn it." Dale muttered.

"Why? Why would you burn it?" Dad demanded.

They all looked at him for a moment, wondering if he was joking "Because like all dead things, it has smell. And smell could draw in more, got any matches?"

Dad looked down at the corpse for several seconds before pulling a match book from his coat pocket and tossing it to Rick, turning away and walking back.

I gathered Jack's reins and hobbled a decent distance away as they dragged it onto a remaining snow bank and tossed a match at it, in about a minute, it was engulfed in flames, taking who he was with him.

I walked Jack back to the shed after the fire had burned to nothing more than ash, my back was hurting again, so I decided to go lie down, I shouldn't be out here at all, but I am somehow appeased that mom sent me, she trusts that I can handle my own safety.

I put Jack away, looked back at him and exited the barn, walking slowly to avoid much movement on the way back, I could only limp along for so long before someone stopped me.

"How, how are you feeling?" A nervous voice arose beside me and I looked up at the figure a little taller than myself with straight black hair and dark eyes, a friendly, nervous smile on his lips.

"I feel fine." I lied for the second time "Just took care of a walker, so apparently they are around, just be careful, ok?"

Glenn looked a little taken back, concerned even. I guess walker slaying isn't one of his top ten favorite activities/hobbies.

"How many?" He pressed, speeding his walk to match mine.

"One." I cleared my throat as my first attempt came volumeless. "Just one."

"Do the others know?" He asked.

"Just Shane, Rick, Dale and Hershel, and my Dad. I wouldn't advise telling the rest of your group just yet, I'm not sure how Rick wants to handle it." I said, looking over at him, his worried expression was worrying me.

He nodded slowly, "Ok." He agreed just as we reached the stoop of the front porch.

"I'll see you at dinner." He waved briefly then buried his hands deep into his pockets as he turned and walked back.

I watched him go before turning around and walking inside. Something was bothering me, underlining everything that already was. The stress wouldn't help me heal at all, and I can't exactly make myself forget.

My brow creased with concern as I passed the kitchen corridor and headed for the stairs.

On top of Shane, the walker, injuries and all the other survival stress stuff like ammo and food, I felt something, worry for something other than those things, it had me jittery, and I caught myself looking over my shoulder twice as I climbed the stairs and entered my room. Swearing that I'd heard something, but maybe the pain meds just had me paranoid, I don't know.

I sank down greatfully onto the bed once again and kicked off my boots lazily, lying down and staring at the ceiling, I picked through my head.

There was something missing from all of this. This new group had already accepted my family, at least most of them have. And I already feel like they are family, and that's an extreme level of trust from me right there.

But if this is all my family, why do I still feel empty?

I closed my eyes and thought for a little bit, though my mind was all over the place and I was fighting to stay awake, I couldn't place it...

Dreaming, I was only dreaming. Of another place and time, where my family's from...

I think I've listened to this song over a hundred times just today. I can't place much more for it other than that I can relate to the lyrics, it's very similar to the issues I've been faced with.

She's gone, moved out five days prior to eighteenth birthday, leaving me and my family in ruins, should have known, nothing's ever built to last...

She, the one I am talking about, is my best friend, secret keeper, shoulder to cry on and my personal jukebox. But most importantly, she is my sister.

Her name is Myriah Holmes, she isn't really that connected to me by blood, we are step sisters, only sharing the same mother. Different fathers, the fact that her real one wasn't around for the majority of her life really took it's toll, it's effected her in many ways, even changed her. And I hate to see it.

There once was a time when I knew everything about her, her favorite colors were red, black and blue. Sometimes purple, if it was dark. Her hair color was identical to mine, brownish blond. She has since dyed it dark puple, see what I mean?

Her favorite bands were The Beatles, AC/DC and Metallica. She also loved Motley Crue, Scorpions, White Snake and Avril Lavinge. Her favorite songs were Without You by Motley Crue, When I look Into Your Eyes by Firehouse and When You're Gone by Avril Lavinge.

Her favorite movies were Twilight and Sprit, Stallion on the Cimmeron. As were mine.

She had a dream to become a rodeo star, she doted on horses, everything horse. She had a boyfrined, a few of them throughout her teenage life, I liked them all, but fail to understand how she ended up with this bozo.

I look out the window in the bedroom I used to share with my younger brother before it all became too much and I needed my privacy and somewhere to hide from the world. My bedroom, my mancave.

Out the window, on the long driveway I see the smokey clouds of dust billowing up, and the cherry red Pontiac Grand Am emerged going a decent speed, as it approached the house and parked out front, I could hear downstairs the front door opening and all the words of recognition and conversation of catching up.

I heard her ask once... "Where's Aries?..." But she never came to me, not once did she come up just to see me. The hours washed away and I missed dinner, chiding myself again and again that it was all for my own good that I don't see her, I'd only get attached, and that was the last thing I needed.

I waited, confined to my room, staring at the ceiling, at those colorful butterfly stickers I'd gotten from her last christmas, everytime I had a painful memory, I stick one up and glare at it, did me about as much good as slitting my wrists. I would never be that selfish.

I just waited, and waited, for her to prove that she still cared about me and that we were best friends... Do you think she ever came up?...

No.

No, she didn't.

Months passed, eventually a year. I'd seen her every now and again, but it was never the same. We never had the same bond, there was always this impossibly thick piece of glass between us, silence poking at me like a knife in the ribs. I fought back everyday against the urges to call her up and scream at her for the change.

I never did it though...

Then the world went to shit and I had no more control, a bunch of shit went down the six months prior to the whole accident, and she was in Missouri with 'him', and with every passing day, I taught myself the lesson of distance. Nothing can keep you more sane than that.

Attachment is an issue, love someone and they could get gobbled up by a walker in an instant. Hate them and the impact will be less, maybe it was just selfish...

I haven't seen her since, been trying so hard to survive, it's been almost two years.


"Urgh!"

I shot up in bed and dusted my hair off my forehead. Panicked, I hugged my chest, looking over at the desk beside the bed, I scrambled over and grabbed the black picture frame leaning against the lamp, I hugged it tightly to my chest and squeezed my eyes shut, I felt consideralby insignificant right then. I felt very weak.

I looked up thorugh blurry eyes, quickly scanning the room for a sign that the whole thing was just a dream. A horrible dream that wracked my world, including everyone elses, to hell.

I didn't see a damn thing, so I leaned forward a tiny bit, almost scared to see the evidence.

Then I saw the white bumper of the RV gradually come into view and I stiffled a hiccuped sigh and fell backwards onto my back.

Wouldn't that be nice? The whole world just turned out to be a dream...

I grumbled something incoherent and rolled over enough to bury my face in the pillows adorning the headboard, wishing for the first time in a long time that I could become apart of them and sink into them, and ultimately become them.

I closed my eyes again, trying to calm myself down, but that tactic didn't work, instead bits and pieces of the dream skipped across my vision merrily, antagonizing me to no end.

I growled and yanked my head up from the pillows and threw my legs over the side of the bed, planting them onto the cold wood floor. There was nowhere I wanted to go, and nothing I wanted to do that I am still capable of.

I looked up, there was a white triangle of light on the ceiling, slightly wavy around the edges, it made me curious, I stood up slowly and walked forward until I stood directly below it, looking up at it, I lifted my hand to touch it, but the shadow of my hand cast across it and now half the white triangle occupied the back of my left hand, I don't really know why I was so mesmerized by it, but I was.

I looked over my shoulder to see where the reflection was coming from, the sunlight poured in through the window, directly below the window was a small night stand with a record player balanced on it, the plastic lid shut, causing the reflection across the ceiling.

I looked down at it, it was almost beaconing. Inside was my dusty vinyl version of 21st Cenury Breakdown by Green Day.

I contemplated for a moment, we still have electricity after all... And it couldn't take too much power, right?

I started it at set the needle on 16. Waiting in excited anticipation until I heard the intro, soft and quiet, move through the speakers six times until the soft acoustic started, and the quiet voice of Billie Joe Armstrong filled the air.

I held my breath in quiet joy, hanging onto every line that I knew by heart.

Do you know what's worth fighting for?
When it's not worth dying for?
Does it take your breath away,
And you feel yourself suffocating?

Does the pain weigh out the pride,
And you look for a place to hide?
Did someone break your heart inside?
You're in ruins.

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms, give up the fight
On, 21 guns
Throw up your arms, into the sky
You and I

When you're at the end of the road
And you've lost all sense of control
And your thoughts have taken their toll
When your mind breaks the spirit of you soul.

Your faith walks on broken glass
And the hang over doesn't pass
Nothing's ever built to last,
You're in ruins

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms, give up the fight.
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms, into the sky
You and I

Did you try to live on your own?
When you burned down the house and home?
Did you stand too close to the fire?
Like a liar looking for forgivness, from a stone.

When it's time to live and let die
And you can't get another try.
Something inside this heart has died.
You're in ruins.

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms, give up the fight.
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms, into the sky.
One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms, give up the fight.
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms, into the sky
You and I.


By the end I had caught myself singing, and laughed quietly at myself. Then remembering that in every lyric, lies a memory I have.

Something worth smiling about, something worth crying about, who knows? If anyone asked me that question, do you know what's worth fighting for?

I'd like to think so, but then again what more am I than a dumb, inexperienced kid?

I smiled a little bit, then flicked the off switch. I've had my fill of heart wrenching nostalgia for today.

I walked downstairs to help with dinner, I chopped and stirred, finding it odd that we were actually heating up the canned soup instead of eating it in condensed blobs.

I furrowed my eyebrows and focused on the canned carrots I was cutting.

"So what's all the food for?" I asked curiously when it was just me and my mom left in the kitchen as Carol had gone to the cellar for some things.

"Everyone, of course." She answered, though her answer rubbed me the wrong way, the way she said it was too light and reassuring. Normally she'd be in pre-panic mode for using this much food and supplies on one meal.

I nodded cooly "Ok, so what's the real reason."

He stirring slowed a bit, and then she turned towards me slightly "Your dad and Rick are breaking the news tonight about the lone walker to the group, your father thought it'd be a good idea that we win them over with a feast. I sure hope it works..." Sh mumbled in concern.

I looked up at her, a little surprised "You care if they stay and don't relocate?" I demanded.

"Well..." She paused.

"They grew on you, didn't they? The alabambain survival group grew on you already." I grinned, laughing. Watching her cheeks redden.

"I like them, I'll give them that much. They've all been a big help, so yes, little miss big-mouth, I do hope they stay." She said, chuckling.

I nodded, smiling too "Me too."

When dinner camp, Mom might as well been sweating buckets, though I was pretty reassured they'd stay, where else do they have to go? If they're really scared, we can pull an all-night watch tower.

Tonight we pulled together all the tables, into one big long one, Dad said at one end, Rick sat at the other as centeral concern translators. Rick kept glancing up at my Dad every few minutes, dad did the same. I caught them almost every time.

My family's microscopic group sat at one end of the table Rick's rather large one at the other end. I sat between Jaden on my right side, and at the base of the other group on my left, with Daryl sitting there.

Mom sat beside dad, Carol beside her on her right side, Sophia next to her, then Carl, Lori then Shane and Rick at the left head of the table.

Then Hershel, Dale, Andrea, Maggie, Glenn, Beth, T-dog and Merle sitting on Daryl's left side.

Everyone finished sitting down, and began passing around food, I glanced down and noticed how pale Glenn looked, he seemed to be speaking to Rick through eye contact. Their expressions contorting slightly, slight head movements in yes and no directions, it made it all pretty obvious.

After about ten minutes of almost conversationless scraping of forks and spoons and plates, Dad finally cleared his throat, he looked at me, after a moment, I caught on to what he was doing, the same silent talk as Rick and Glenn were doing.

I nodded slightly for him to proceed, entirely aware that I'd be brought into the conversation as the 'walker executer'.

I set down my fork, anticipating it to all begin.

Dad cleared his throat again and looked up.

"I, and Rick have some news for you all. It may devistate you, or bother you in some way. But please... Just listen to our solutions for this issue, and hopefully we can proceed to work together."

Everyone looked to my dad and Rick now, switching looks back and fourth between them, everyone had the same concerned little dent between their eye brows.

"What is it?" Andrea asked slowly, leaning forward to have eye contact with my dad.

"Walker." He said simply. "Dale spotted it out on watch earlier, sent Aries out to take a look. He was alone, and starving. I can't gurantee you how many more there are or if there are more at all. But we have some ideas, to help you all stay safe, for that, I turn it over to Rick."

Rick looked up and met us all with his troubled blue eyes. "I and David have spent the afternoon planning security for you, we're doing everything we can, one of the ideas is night watch. Two people for night, one for day. We can switch out hourly, but then no one will be getting any rest, so we figure a six hour shift for each of the men. We have three volunteers for watch currently. Those includ Daryl, Dale and Shane, if any of you are interested in taking a shift, let me-"

"I will!"

I looked around, everyone's eyes on me, then I realized those words of bravery came from my mouth. I cleared my throat. "I'd be more than willing to take a shift."

"No, Aries, you're just-" My mom began.

"A kid?" I demanded "I can do it. I know I can, and you know I can but you don't want to accept it."

"No." She said firmly.

"Yes!" I pushed.

Realizing the walker conversation had faded into a heated mother-daughter argument. I glared "I've seen death before, witnessed it. I can keep this camp safe, I'm out of reach of walkers on that roof!"

"And if you fall off? Loose your balance?" She asked.

"Then put some railing up for Christ's sakes! What's the difference between me falling off or anyone else!?" I said, getting frustrated.

"The difference is that you are my daughter!" She seethed back, we sat in silence, fuming.

I was the first to stand, I shoved my chair from the table and abandonned the dining room, I already had my boots, and felt more like freezing to death then spending another moment searching for my damned coat.

I pulled open the back door and tore off into the night, my own anger getting to me, I felt bitter and now the same angry emotions I had towards my sister that had been locked safely away for two years rose once again, with vengence this time.

I glared as I ran, towards the shed, I wanted to prove my point. I gripped the icy cold railing of the ladder and pulled myself up, andrenaline keeping me from looking down and pushing me to reach the top.

I grumbled all the way up, when I reached the top I walked towards the dark blue folding chair with the sniper rifle leaning against it, I lifted it and took a seat, gun across my lap, they'll see how silly it was to go against me, and they'll all feel like the wrong ones when I bring in a dead walker.

I smiled at the thought and sat there in dark silence, looking out at the empty, moonlight bleached field. I sat there for about five minutes, all determined, until the andrenaline wore off and the temperature got to me.

I rubbed my forearms violently to build friction, but it didn't change it much. I tried getting my mind off of the discomfort, but my mind would drift between either of these two things:

One, about that fucking dream I had earlier, two, about how cold I was. Thinking about how a bowl of hot soup or some tea would make the difference. Then I started thinking about heavy, warm, wool blankets and coats with the fuzzy insides.

I began daydreaming about it, doting on the idea of warmth, trying to fight of the cold.

I leaned forward a little bit, I had thought I'd saw something at the edge of the field, I blinked several times and watched carefully where I thought I'd saw it.

I heard a low thud behind me and instantly looked over my shoulder, I was all jittery.

I was met with a blanket going over my face. For a second, I embraced the warmth, then panicked and went all 'I'm-Getting-Kidnapped' mode.

"Get off me!" I stood from the chair and fumbled around blindly until it was yanked off and my foot slipped.

My stomach dropped to the soles of my boots as my eyes opened wide, looking down at my fate like an already dead ghost, I realized there was something warm and rough wrapped around my right hand, pulling me backwards.

I fell on my ass and scooted as far from the edge as I could, wrapping my arms around my legs, hands shaking from fear instead of the cold, I finally looked up.

Daryl stood there, holding a blanket in one hand, his other hand slightly held out towards me and the look of confused amusment crossed his face.

"You've got a big mouth, ya know that?" He chuckled, I don't think I've ever heard Daryl really laugh, other than that menacing thing he does when he's threatening people... Mostly me or Shane.

"Sorry." He muttered, dropping into a crough beside me on the shed roof, twenty-five feet off the ground.

"Thought I was going to fall..." I mumbled, my voice cracked and it made me feel pathetic.

His eyes were soft in the darkness, the moon cloudfree and allowed to shine, bleaching the white roof bright. "I would have let ya." He muttered, voice rougher as he looked away.

"Thanks." I reply quietly, watching him warily. I felt as though I couldn't make my voice go any higher.

He nodded, a fraction and passed over the blanket, careful not to touch my skin.

I draped it over my shoulders and hugged it, realizing it wasn't one of the ones mom kept in the linen closet, as I further examined the blanket, I realized it was entirely foreign.

"It's 'onna Dale's." Daryl stated when he noticed my curiousity, he is much more observant than I gave him credit for.

I nodded a little, tilting my head back to look up at all the stars.

"So... how are things, in there?" I askec quietly. I didn't want to ask him or treat him like a spy, but it was nessicary to know.

"Your mom was pretty pissed about it, I think yer dad solder on it though." He said, "We're going to start preparations for walkers tomorrow, your dad is going to put up a fence out there," He pointed to the end of the field were were watching over.

"Said you guys had some bird fence?" He said, sounding confused, obviously he didn't know what it was.

I laughed quietly "Yeah, a couple years ago my sister raised one thousand pheasants for a neighbor who was releasing them for hunting, we needed the big fence to put in the shed." I answered.

"You have a sister?" He asked quietly, some degree of interest in his voice, it hit me differently. No one ever really took any interest in things I was doing, who my family was, what kind of games I played and what kind of music I listened to.

I nodded "Yeah..."

"Is she alive?"

I bit my lip and looked down at my lap.

"Sorry..." He murmured.

"No, it's fine. It's just that I'm not really sure. She was living in Missouri with this alcoholic loser who couldn't hold down a job."

"Why was she in Missouri and not here?" He asked, angling his torso towards me slightly.

"He got drunk and physically abused her, she came here in the middle of the night bawling, wanting to press charges and all that bullshit, then the next day he calls her, apologizing and crying, and then she snuck out in the middle of the night, picked him up and they split town."

I bit my lip in anger, she was a coward.

"He sounds like a piece of shit."

I laughed humorlessly and nodded "He is." I agreed.

I sat there beside Daryl, suddenly it was as though we hadn't been at each other's throats since day one. We were talking to each other as civil, human beings.

"Oh, hang on."

Daryl hopped up and walked over to the ladder, lowering himself over the edge and jogging down, disappearing from my line of sight, I looked back at the field before me, bleached in the moonlight, I breathed in the pure cold air, so brisk it freezes your lungs as you inhale, I realize now that it was very, very stupid to come out here without a coat.

Daryl returned a few minutes later and took his seat again, only this time several inches further away.

He sighed "There, I informed Rick we'd be doing tonight's shift, so no one's gonna be coming up ere' givin you crap, kay?"

I nodded "Ok, cool."

I felt like that response was underated, but I couldn't really take it back now.

I leaned back, pressing my palms against the cold roof behind me, tilted my head back and looked up at the stars, when a sudden thought crossed my mind.

"How come you came up here in the first place?" I asked, looking over at him.

He looked up, no real emotion in his face "I already had tonight's watch, until two, but now I 'parently have it until six tomorrow." He smirked a tiny bit.

I nodded. So he hadn't come up here to shove me off the roof or for the sake of my company.

"Have you and Merle always been together?" I asked, realizing the question seemed very stupid.

"He is my brother." He clarified with a wry smile.

"But no, not always. Most of my childhood he wasn't ever there, mostly serving in juvy, I took care of myself."

I thought about that, "Were you very close to him though?"

He paused "No..." He cleared his throat "No, I never relyed on him for anything, until all this shit went down, we rarely spoke to each other, 'cept when he called me 'Darlena'."

I pursed my lips into a thin line to keep from laughing, he looked over at me, smirking slightly "You can laugh if ya wanna."

I just smiled, I'd probably offend him if I did laugh, because I'd most likely overdo it.

He nodded a little and looked forward "Quiet night." He murmured.

"Always is out here."

"'Cept for our little crispy walker out there."

He pointed out to the field, bleached in moonlight, there was a dark patch in the grass.

I nodded and laughed quietly. "Yeah, I don't think shootin' it with the bow was the best idea ever, though." I mused.

He looked over at me "You shot it?" He laughed.

I nodded "Yeah, not so good for stitches..."

"Speakin' of which, hower they?"

"Alright, I guess." I sighed "About as good as having stitches can be."

We stayed quiet for a few more minutes. Then Daryl spoke again.

"I'm bushed." He mumbled.

"Then take a nap, I can keep watch."

"No, trust ya with that gun, and ifa someone touches you, ya can freak out and jump off the roof gain?" He smirked.

I grumbled, realizing he'd hold this over my head now, probably for a long time.

"I'm fine." I growled.

He rolled his eyes "Ight, I'm out."

He laid back and looked up at the stars for a little bit before closing his eyes. Within several minutes, his face smoothed into one of calm, instead of that brooding face he usually makes, it was relaxed, no intimidating, narrowed blue eyes glaring holes into your back.

I looked forward, determined to keep the camp safe.

Nothing moved, everything still, except my hair the blew in thin strands across my face every now and again. As I sat there, my mind wandered back to my sister, and I began to realize how much I was missing her.

I looked up again, at a silver star right above my head, only slightly larger than the others, I named that one the Myriah star, so close, yet so many lightyears away. I wish I could be with her, but you can't be with a ball of white hot energy.

If only I had any idea how much things would be changing in only a matter of days.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yooo a new crappy chapter for a crappy story! Let's happy dance lol

I forgot how much I loved Aries's character. I think I've always loved the face that she tries to act twice her age even though she's 14 the best. I remember feeling that way myself, but an apocalypse is a very different thing, so writing her adapting to that and adapting to growing up is fun to write.