China

she was the king's daughter and never would she love me

In the cold winters of 1398, Emperor Hongwu controlled the next few months of the Ming Dynasty with ease. He watched his young daughter of eighteen tend to her studies and grace the floors as a godly dancer. Princess Lian was his pride and joy, everything a man could simply desire. And there was no doubting a woman of such stature to withhold a line of wealthy, intelligent suitors throwing away their pride to bow before her holiness.

But there was no doubting Zheng Ho's eye. The man was Commander-In-Chief of the Imperial Army overlooking the the southern capital of Nanjing. A powerful individual he was as fleet admiral and voyager of Asia. Zheng adorned a handsome face and vibrant smile that made every girl bow to his want and whim. He set his sights on Princess Lian, a woman whom he wished to take in marriage through thick and thin.

And though he was a hero in the eyes of China, he had the shadow of a monster lurking just behind his silhouette. For it was the heart of the princess he would take even if she dared to deny.

PRINCESS LIAN | COMMANDER ZHENG

Image

WON FIRST PLACE IN: this
MOODBOARD: x courtesy of kaz brekker
MAGAZINE REVIEW: x courtesy of katie mosing