Status: This is something I've been working on

Extra Ordinary

Extra Ordinary (Chapter 6)

He pulls the wagon up to the back door of his house. Water splashes out when he stops suddenly.

"Be quiet, I need to make sure that no one's up. I'll be right back." I nod as I watch him sneak inside. As far as I can tell all the lights are out. I glance up at the huge house feeling a little excited despite the pain in my tail. I've never been inside a house before. Reed walks back out. "I can't pull the wagon up stairs so I'll have to carry you." My heart leaps as he reaches down and picks me up. I wince as my tail moves. "Sorry." He says before taking me inside. He moved so fast that I didn't have time to really look around.

In his room he heads straight for a doorway with a light shinning through at the bottom. He sets me down in a white box filled with water. it's so big that I could probably lay in it. I delicately lay my tail over the side of the box not wanting it to get wet. Reed holds up a box.

"I'm going to to wrap your tail the best I can to stop the bleeding, but I'll have you wipe the blood away first." I watch him curiously as he gently touches the end of my tail, dabbing it with something. I do my best not to show how much it hurts and when he's finished doing that he wraps it in some white material.

"How's that?" He asks. I move my tail a little.

"It feels better." I smile.

"Good." He said staring at it. I reach out and touch his hand.

"You didn't know the shark was there. It's the ocean there could, be a shark anywhere." I frown at the guilt I could still see in his eyes. He really couldn't have known.

"Yes, but I still feel terrible...I'm afraid your tail won't heal right. I know nothing about taking care of a mermaid." I could tell nothing I said would change his mind so I changed the subject.

"What's this?" I question, pointing at the thing I'm sitting in.

"A bathtub...I guess you don't know about a lot of things do you?" I shake my head. "I'll tell you tomorrow. For now you should get some sleep." He gets up but I grab his hand.

"Aren't you going to sleep too?"

"I don't sleep in a bathtub." I glance around the huge white room at all the unfamiliar objects. He smiles at me.

"I'll be right back." I slowly let his hand go and sink lower into the water. He comes back and lays something soft looking on the ground. He then closes the door and turns off the light. "Goodnight Willow."

He fell asleep quickly but I couldn't. I quietly leaned over the side of the bathtub and watched him sleep. He's done so much for me. He could have just left me in that cave, but he didn't. For that I am grateful. Humans aren't so bad. Reed really isn't. I wish I could stay here with him. I don't want to go back to the ocean. I think before I drift off to sleep.