Sequel: Secrets 2: SuperTeen
Status: All chapters have been re-edited and completed. I'm sorry for any inconveniences.

Secrets

Chapter 5: Part 1

"I was so worried about you. When i went to the market yesterday, I overheard rumours that you were alive and i was hopeful. What happened to you?" Rose said as she held Malia's arms.

"A lot actually. I had strange encounters but I don't want to remember them".

Just then, an old woman opened the door.

"What's all the noise about?" she asked.

"Grandmother meet my good friend Malia". Rose smiled.

"Malia it's so good to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you". Rose's grandmother smiled at her but to Malia it was for a completely different reason. Like she had known her for a long time. Strange."Do come in"

******
"How did you escape the fire?" Malia asked. "Are there more survivors?".

"Sadly no, I was the only one who was able to escape". Rose said sadly.
"So, that means Carol is..."she couldn't finish her sentence.

Rose nodded.

"I saw the two of you talking. You seemed upset and went outside. A little later, I saw Carol going up to your room. I assumed she wanted to apologize for whatever it was that had gotten you upset".

"She didn't have to". Malia mumbled.

"I saw your parents going up to your room. That were acting strange. I decided to go to follow. Carol was there and I wanted to assist her in case she needed help because if your parents saw her in your room, they would get mad and ban us servants completely from associating with you and I also had the bad feeling that they were up to no good". She paused not sure if she should continue.

"It's okay Rose, you can tell me everything".

"Alright". She took a deep breath "Carol fell asleep while waiting for you. You know how she is when it comes to sleeping" Rose forced a laugh"I peeped through the door hole. It was dark and I assumed your parents thought it was you so they...th...they killed her". She broke into tears. "I'm so sorry".

"No no. Rose none of this is your fault. I was supposed to be the one who had died. They were not my parents anyway. I just found out".Malia explained and grabbed Rose's hand across the table.

Rose looked up surprised. "That makes sense because what parents would kill their child for no apparent reason. But how did you know?".

"I'll explain later but for now I want to know about what happen that night".

Rose took a deep breath to calm down. "I think I must have made a sound because they turned in my direction but i ran away. Later they left the house with a bag and a small box in hand, then they set fire to the whole house. I was too late by the time i found out. They had trapped everyone in. Due to my small body I was able to climb out through the small window with the help of Eric, but the others couldn't. They told me to run and get help but when i was finally able to get some, it was too late. They were able to force the door open and put out the fire a minute too late...All i got were a few burns on my palms and leg but the others died".she sobbed.

"Rose don't blame yourself. If anything it should be my fault for running away".

"I know I just..."she blew out a breath."how did you find out that they weren't your parents".

"I met some people who told me. I'm sorry but I can't go into details yet until I'm sure they're telling the truth".

"I understand".

*****
Later that night, while Rose was sleeping, Malia sat near the window and looked up at the dark sky. She had just had a vivid dream about the phoenix again and also, her necklace.

"Having trouble sleeping?".

Malia jumped.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I'm just so happy to finally meet a bearer of the phoenix". Rose's grandmother said as she stood next to Malia.

"Excuse me?".

"The phoenix my dear" she looked closely at Malia. "You didn't know?".

"Not exactly".

"That phoenix is a very powerful creature. It can represent both rebirth and destruction depending on the bearer and wharf he chooses to do with it".

"Oh".

"Come with me, I'll help you understand". She smiled at Malia and led her into her bedroom and pressed her foot on a part of the floor. The wood easily pressed into the ground and opened to reveal spiral stairs leading underground...