I'm Here and I Am Alive

Chapter One

Twenty-one years later, Selma Kine was going to celebrate her birthday with her family and her best friend, Jennifer Brown and Jennifer’s boyfriend, Fred Hunter. Her foster mother, Christa Ling was in the kitchen smiling as she watched Selma and her only friend Jennifer laughing at each other’s jokes. Jennifer’s boyfriend, Fred leaned in his chair laughing along with his arm over Jennifer’s shoulder.

“Mom, when is dinner going to be done?” Jennifer asks Christa. Christa laughed shaking her head,

“In a few.” She shook her head as she stirred the Mac and cheese up. Selma’s favorite.

Selma looked back at her mom and smiled. She turned as she heard the front door of their small house open and close. “Dad!” Selma rushed up out of her chair and towards her foster father, Luke Ling.

“Happy birthday sweetie.” Luke smiled. He had gray hairs throughout his head, he had red hair. Wrinkles were shown on his forehead. He was only 51 but he still looked good. His grey eyes were still bright and sharp as ever. Selma loved his eyes. No matter what happened his eyes were always sparkling, to her they seem like they did at least.

Christa had auburn colored hair and kind green eyes. They weren’t as bright as Luke’s grey ones but they still had a spark in them. She had wrinkles by her eyes. She was rather pale, paler then Luke that is.

There was no resemblance if you took Christa and Luke together and figure out how they had Selma. Selma has wide, round dark blue eyes and when in certain light they look purple. She has light brown hair with hints of blonde in it. She is paler then the Christa and Luke. And she has a petite waist line but she has curves.

She had wonder why she had no resemblance towards her foster parents. By the age of nine she asked her parents why she looked different and why her last name was different. That’s when they explained to her she was adopted. Selma took it well. She smiled at them and said, “It’s okay. You’re still my parents. You’re the only ones I have!”

“So when is cake time?” Luke asked Christa as he chuckled. Christa slapped her husband’s arm playfully.

“We haven’t even had dinner yet!” Christa said rather loudly, crossing her arms over her chest as she shook her head walking back over to the kitchen.

Luke laughed as he walked behind his wife. “It’s Selma’s birthday and her twenty first birthday at that! She’s an adult she can skip dinner and have desert first.” He smiled as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Get a room!” Jennifer yells at Christa and Luke as they laughed at her.

“Jen! Leave them alone. They are cute!” Selma laughed as she hugged Jen from behind. Jen laughed shaking her head.

“No! I don’t even like looking at pictures of Fred and I kissing.” Jen says as she walks into the living room where Fred had moved to.

Selma laughed as started to walk towards the bathroom. The bathroom was upstairs. As she walked toward the bathroom, she saw a light gleaming through the door jam. She thought maybe her mom forgot to turn off the little lamp in there. But then she stopped. The light was green. “A green light?” she whispered as she slowly opened the door.

Inside she saw the source of the green light. It was inside Christa’s jewelry box. It made the room look creepier. It was rather dark in there besides the bright green light. She opened the box up gently to see a jade amulet, which was glowing. She gently picked it up analyzing it. As soon as she touched it, it stopped glowing.“It looks normal…” she trailed off as she thought it looked rather familiar.

Selma walked down stair with the amulet in her hand. “Mom! Dad!” she cried out. Her parents ran over to her quickly thinking something was wrong. Christa gasped out as she saw Selma raised the jade amulet up to them. “What is this? This was just glowing in your room.”

Christa looked up to Luke and Luke stared at Christa. “There’s more to your adoption sweetie.” It was all he said as he turned to walk to the table.

Jen and Fred stood there looking between Christa and Luke and back to Selma.

Soon enough they walked over to the dinner table as Christa turned off the stove. “We found you in a shuttle ball. We think you are from another planet, which we do not know. There was a marking on it that belongs to two planets. They were both ruled under the same Lord. It could be Liuo or Delf. They are both destroyed. The day we found you on the country side road was the day Liuo and Delf were destroyed because of a unknown force.” Luke had explained to his foster daughter.

Luke watched as his daughter had tears in her eyes but none fell. “Why? Why did you never tell me?” She asked, shaking her head.

“Awesome! I have an alien best friend!” Jen announced trying to raise the mood.

Selma snorted but laughed at her best friend and so did Fred. “Really? Jen is that all you can think of at this moment?” Fred shook his head at his girlfriend.

“Oi! Shut up, bone head!” Jen playfully pushed him.

“I’m sorry honey for not telling you sooner. We both knew you would have immediately leaved us once you found out. To know what had happened to your home. To find out what planet you are from. To find your birth parents. And we understand that. We just wanted you to go through high school fist and be a little settle more before telling you.” Christa says taking a hold of Selma’s hand.

“We knew you name because of the blanket you were wrapped in. Your parents must have made it for you when they found out what gender you were going to be.” She smiled at Selma.
Selma stared down at their hands together. “I understand. I understand why you held that information from me and thank you for everything.” She smiled as she stood up from the table. “Let’s eat. I’m hungry!”

As they all got up to grab something to eat a loud ‘BOOM’ sound was heard. They all ran towards the window and door. Debris was flying through the air. “What the hell!” Fred yelled.

“Get OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW!” Luke yelled at everyone as he opened the door. As soon as they got out they saw hover cars flying out of the skies on fire and they heard screams from people around them. “Everyone link up!” Luke yelled at them.

Luke grabbed Christa’s hand as Jen grabbed onto Selma’s and Fred’s hand. “Let’s go!” Fred yelled to them.

Alarms were going off all around them. They heard the military microphone, “Evacuate! Everyone to the shuttles! You must all leave your house. We are under attack. I repeat! We are under attack!”