Status: this is an INCOMPLETE FIRST DRAFT, and has only undergone minor edits. if something seems weird just leave it be

Groundlings

Government Small Talk

Days passed. Weeks passed. Months passed. Life on the outside went on without Lee. To them it seemed that they were the only constant in the universe, unmoving from their location, consistent in their daily routine with little disruption. The outside world became a mystery to them, and they jumped whatever tiny pieces of information were discarded their way.
Here’s what they knew; Starling had been confirmed dead after three months had passed and he hadn’t shown back up. It hurt, but it was the truth. Starling was only human.
For a time, Lee had held on to hope. Starling had been a hardy man. He had already been through so much, but there was only so much one person could take. It hit them hard when they truly, finally realized that he would never be coming back.
They loved him still.
That was going to be the strangest thing about getting out, finally leaving the confines of this tree. There wouldn’t be a Starling to greet them and welcome them back with one of those comforting smiles he wore so well.
But hey, Millie would. Millie was the only thing Lee really had left in this world. Lee would at least see her happy in whatever she did. She was worth it, all pretty smiles and big hair and freckles.
She’d be visiting today, hopefully.
What day was it even?
Lee picked their calendar up, puzzling over it when someone knocked at the door. That’s odd. No one ever did that, especially not Fiona or any of the authorities. Lee put the calendar away and sat up on their bed, frowning. The knock came again, harder this time as if whoever it was thought Lee hadn’t heard them.
“Fine, fine, fine, come in,” they said. What the hell was going on?
Governor Melissa Powell herself stepped into the small room, and seeing that Lee was on the bed, sat herself down on her chair. An armed came in behind her and closed the door, standing alert by it. She regarded Lee with some thought, taking in what had become of one of her best soldiers. She looked disappointed.
“Mx. Applebottom,” she greeted them. Lee could tell the honorific felt awkward in her mouth, but they didn’t quite care. It wasn’t their fault that not having a gender made other people uncomfortable. Governor Powell continued, “I am surprised to see you looking so well.”
“I been treated alright,” Lee said. It wasn’t completely true, but it was best not to express faults in a system to the one in complete control of it.
“Have you? You’ve lost weight,” Governor Powell noted.
Lee grinned. “Been tryna watch my figure, you know?” It seemed an appropriately casual response to them.
“Clearly,” said Governor Powell. “Well, I didn’t come here to make small talk.”
Oh, good. There was a point to this. “And here I thought you missed my personality,” Lee said.
Governor Powell tutted. “We all know how complicated your case is, Mx. Applebottom,” she said. “I can’t reopen it, as you know.”
Lee nodded bitterly.
“But,” the governor said, “I might be able to shorten your sentence, if you cooperate.”
“So that’s what this is,” Lee said. Blackmail. Abuse of power. Well, it had been commonplace in the old world, or so they’d heard. Why not let the age old tradition carry on?
Governor Powell smiled. “Here now, how would you like to be out in two months?”
“What do you want from me?” Lee asked. They weren’t taking any chances.
“The same thing I’ve always wanted from you,” Governor Powell said. “That eagle vision of yours. I find myself… Short staffed on an important job.”
Job? The snipers never did jobs. They had one single task, to shoot everything they saw that moved on the ground. They were Sequoia’s guardian angels, the first line of defense against the horrors that walked the earth.
Lee hesitated. “What is it?” they asked, their curiosity getting the better of them. Damn them and their constant need to stick their giant nose in everyone else’s business.
“I need an elite force to form an experimental colony on the ground,” Governor Powell said. “The news has been out for a while and I’ve got a good number of people on board already.” She paused. “But it’s not enough for a successful trip. I find myself still needing to pull strings here and there to get the people I need. You’re one of our most skilled, Mx. Applebottom.”
“That ain’t a shortened sentence, ma’am,” Lee said. It was insane. “That’s a death sentence.”
Governor Powell shook her head. “I’m inclined to believe we have a fighting chance.”
“Will you be going?”
“No.” Ah, that was it. Of course the people in power were too cozy in their seats to move. So they turned to those with no other choice to do all their dirty work and their dying for them. Lee should’ve seen something like this coming.
And yet it was really tempting.
“So you’re offering me a chance to get out, but only if I leave home forever,” Lee said.
Governor Powell snorted. “Well, I suppose you could say it like that,” she said. “But think on this, Mx. Applebottom; you pledged to serve the greater community when you took that badge and gun. Will you serve them again to atone for your crimes, or will you keep yourself locked away and squander the gifts you have to offer? I do not expect an immediate answer, I know it’s a lot to ask. But please, give it a thought.”
Was the governor really begging them to do this? It seemed too rich to be real, but hell, it was tempting to see how far Lee could push it. The idea was definitely interesting enough to merit actual consideration.
A thought shot through them, leaving a sick guilt to settle in their stomach. They would have to leave Millie behind.
“I agree,” Lee said. The governor perked up, but before she could speak Lee continued. “Under one condition.”
“A pardon?” the governor asked. She was a selfish woman, of course she would project that one everyone she bartered with.
“No,” Lee said. “I get to say goodbye to my sister.”
The governor nodded, as if she knew something Lee didn’t. Wouldn’t be a surprise. “We have a deal,” she said. “Thank you, Mx. Applebottom. I am truly grateful.”
Lee would be truly grateful if they could be left alone right about now. They had a lot to think about.
And, as if on cue, the governor rose. “I would love to stay and chat longer,” she said, “but I still have a lot of work to do. I hope you’ll pardon my rudeness.”
“None taken,” Lee said, before they realized that the governor had not said anything close to “no offense”. They coughed. Smooth, Lee. Real smooth.
The governor didn’t respond, simply stood up, smoothed her skirt, and motioned for her guard to open the door. “Goodbye for now, Mx. Applebottom,” she said. “If you need anything, let your warden know. She’ll pass it on to me.”
“Thank you, ma’am,” Lee said, reverting to textbook formality in a desperate hope to cover up their blunder. They watched the governor go, the door closing on the tiny room. It felt more cramped than usual, but maybe it was just the giant weight that had settled itself comfortably on Lee’s shoulders. They had been too brash again. They had let themself get handed the short end of the stick.
The only thing Lee could do now was to handle it the same way they did every unfavorable circumstance. With unbridled enthusiasm. Look at it this way, Lee, they thought. You’ll get to run around at the bottoms of the trees, with as much energy as they wanted. The earth would not break under their feet. How many people can brag about that?
None, that’s who. But Lee would.
Despite their fear, they felt a small flame rise in their chest. They’d get out again! They’d get a chance to redye their hair before they left for good. Heaven knew they needed it badly, not only had the color faded but the bleach was wearing off too, leaving them with an awkward grey brown color reminiscent of a cloudy evening. It looked terrible with their skin tone.
And hell, if you were gonna make history, you should do it looking as cute as you could.