Status: just messing around with ideas

Blame It All on My Roots

Chapter 1

"Oh this is so Daisy its perfect for you to wear tonight!" Lorraine said pulling a gold sequined embellished and fringe hemmed gown out of the one of the vast racks in the warehouse. "Should I really wear something from the archives?" "Oh of course Mag! All of us are tonight for the benefit."

I'm Magnolia Atticus Sterling, but everyone calls me Mag. I work on the Preservation side of the London Institute of Art and Design. I mainly work in the museum archiving pieces, but I also travel around Europe in search of more pieces for the collection and I organize the fashion exhibits. Tonight was a big night for me, I was the leader of the team that planned the annual benefit gala, a roaring 20s themed affair at the luxe Hotel 41, just down the road from Buckingham Palace. A perk of planning the event was wearing a true timepiece, that was I loved about fashion just a dress can tell a whole story, explain an era, I found it fascinating. Lorraine, my boss is my true mother figure. Being from America, I was alone in London until I got my job at the Institute.

Once we all had our outfits picked the four of us stuffed into a cab and went straight to the hotel to get everything situated. We all went to the suite and began furiously getting ready. Eliza was curling her short black bob, Ana was steaming the dresses, and I was doing Carolina's makeup since she was petrified of doing her own eyeliner. After finishing her I shook my loose curly blonde hair out of my ponytail and began to pin it into a side bun, curling the loose pieces before I tied on my beautiful ornate headband. It was a reproduction Tiffany had sold after the movie premiered in 2013. I slid on the slinky dress and finished off my outfit with red lipstick and a few long strands of pearls. "Mag you look like Fitzgerald's dream!" Ana said pinning her faux bob look into place. "There's bound to be a Gatsby lurking for you tonight." Eliza joked, putting on her jewelry. "I'll find my Gatsby after everything is over." "Don't be so stressed out Mag! You've worked so hard on this and made us all work hard too! Tonight is going to be perfect! Just let loose and have some fun, you deserve it." Ana said handing me my clutch. "Yea, Mag you need to enjoy tonight its your night! Also Prince William, Kate, AND Harry RSVP'd!!! Go flirt with the royals they're some of the Institute's best patrons." Carolina winked. "Oh that's so silly I reckon everyone is like that around them." "Have you seen Harry shirtless in the tabloids? Who wouldn't be drooling all over that?" "I don't really see the appeal." "Mag you're such a bloody american and I love you for it." Carolina giggled.

"Goodevening, I'm Lorraine DeSepps chancellor at the London Institute of Art and Design. Welcome to our annual benefit gala, and thank you for the overwhelmingly generous contributions to the Institution. Before we begin the evening I would also like to thank the person who made tonight possible, she's a truly passionate preservationist and the epitome of a dedicated worker, please give Miss Magnolia Sterling a round of applause! Mag, stand up please." Lorraine motioned to me from the stage. I was seated at a table with Ana, Carolina, and five patrons of the Institute. As soon as I sat down a heard a whisper behind me,
"Magnolia, that's a lovely name." I just chuckled and said without turning around, "I just go by Mag." "I'm Harry. It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Magnolia." I shifted in my chair and turned around to meet the blue eyes of England's playboy prince. I shook his extended hand and politely said, "The pleasure is all mine."

He was instantly captivated by the beautiful blonde at the table next to him. He had always fancied blondes, her small and slightly curvy frame swayed in her sparkling gold dress and he couldn't keep his eyes off of her. She sounded American, American girls were always an easy sway for him. They were easily tempted by his titled charm. She was going to leave with him at the end of the night, he had decided in his mind.
"Miss Magnolia may I have this dance?" Harry asked placing a hand on my shoulder as I sat at the bar. "Of course." I said kindly, Momma had always told me to never refuse a dance. "So Miss Magnolia, where are you from?" "Charleston, South Carolina. Please, call me Mag." "I adore the Holy City, so many unholy things to do." He snickered as we swayed to the slow jazzy melody. His hand on my waist slowly began moving farther down, I tensed up. "Woah there partner." I said moving his hand back to its original place. "Don't act like you don't like it." He cooed in my ear. "I thought you just wanted a dance." I said increasing the distance between our bodies. "I want you."