Status: just messing around with ideas

Blame It All on My Roots

Chapter 12

"Magnolia, love?" a British accent called from the darkness, "Maggie, its Mom, I'm here darling." My eyelids felt heavy as I tried to flutter them open, "Ma-mom?" I asked weakly as I opened my eyes. My vision was cloudy, all I could see were the silhouettes of four people. "Darling try not to move too much you may shake loose a tube or wire." "A what?" I asked, sitting up thus pulling a patch off my forehead, setting off an alarm. I rubbed my eyes until my vision cleared, I saw my mom, brothers, and a familiar stranger. I was totally dreaming, Prince Harry, like THE actual Prince Harry was sitting at my bedside.

She stared at him like a deer caught in the headlights. Harry knew his worst fears had been confirmed, she didn't remember him. He politely excused himself and went into the hallway to gather himself. He took a deep breath and leaned against the wall, this would happen to him. He would fall in love with a girl with amnesia. It was so cheesy, but so painfully real.
"Harry, its just a bit of amnesia." Landry said leaning against the wall next to him. They both laughed and Harry said, "Happen to you too?" "Can't say I've had a girlfriend forget me, but I do know that y'all will move past it." "How? We've been together for over a year and I'm certainly not getting any younger." "Man you're only 31, I'm 33 and just now got engaged and we aren't gettin' hitched until next year." "Mag didn't tell me you had met someone." "Mag didn't know, I've only known Savannah for four months." "And you're engaged?" "Harry, when you know, you know. Love's funny that way." "Yea." Harry sighed. "Is she the one?" Harry's cheeks flushed and he looked at the faded tile floor and nodded. "She'll come around, she just needs to heal from this before anything else." Harry understood, "I'm going to go and relieve you all of the press. It'll be too much for her." "Harry you don't have to." "I think it would be best." "Stay in touch with me, okay?" "I will."

"Wha-why?" I asked confused at my royal visitor. My nurse called for the occupational therapist and Dr. Woodburn began to speak, "Magnolia Sterling, its a pleasure to meet you, despite the circumstances. I'm Marie Woodburn, I'm going to be your occupational therapist during your stay here, so you can return home and adjust back to your life." "How did I get here?" I asked, like a confused child. "While I talk with Magnolia, may the family please wait outside?" My mother and brothers nodded before leaving and shutting the door behind them. "Magnolia," She paused, "You suffered a brain aneurysm and you have amnesia." "I wha-what?" "Magnolia, stay calm, you are in the hospital, you are safe and being monitored by the best doctors in London. You are on the road to recovery. I'm here to help with your mental recovery. What is the last thing you vividly remember before waking up today?" "I remember being at work with Lorraine, Eliza, Carolina, and Ana we were picking out our dresses for the 20s themed benefit I had planned for the Institute. My dress was gold with beaded fringe on the hemline, a real iconic timepiece I had altered back to its original condition." Dr. Woodburn took a deep breath, "Okay, remember you're going to stay calm." I nodded, "Magnolia that was over a year ago. I have spoken with your family and friends and I am going to show you photos and begin to tell you what happened in your life over the past year." "Okay." "For starters, according to Lorraine you met the Princes of Wales at the benefit, but were dissatisfied with Harry's advances. The next week you and Lorraine worked with Kate Middleton on an exhibition of her evening gowns, and you went to dinner with Harry. Are you remembering any of this?" She asked holding up a photo of her and Harry in her apartment. "I-um remember working with Kate, but not Harry? Wait he was just here?" "Magnolia, focus let's get back to the exercise, You began a relationship with Harry and he deployed to Afganistan for two months, you won an award and a grant from the Institute to continue your work restoring historical pieces of clothing, you traveled on holiday to Scotland, and stayed in the Isle of Skye-" "I remember! I remember Scotland! I ran up the Quiraing mountain and uh-I-um. I don't remember." "Don't worry about it we'll work on it, it's all there in your head don't worry Magnolia." She handed me a picture of Harry and me with the Scottish highlands in the background, "After you returned from Scotland, your relationship with Harry went public and you began having migraines and after a few tests it was determined you had high blood pressure attributed to the stress of being hounded by the press whenever you went out. Then you collapsed and were found comatose in your flat by Harry and his security personnel and you've been here for the past two weeks recovering from the aneurysm. Does any of this strike a chord in you mind?" She said passing me the piled of pictures to look through. My eyes flooded with tears at the photos with Harry, because I could place myself there, but I had only faint memories of him. "Dr. Woodburn," I asked in between sobs, "Why can't I remember?" "Sometimes when we suffer any kind of trauma, medical or emotional there can be a sort of mental block that just takes some time to be broken down. I promise you, I will help you through this with the upmost discretion at the situation. I'm going to bring your family back in now, keep the photos and look through them and see if that helps you, I'm going to bring Harry in tomorrow and I spoke to him while you were resting, and he said he loved how you treated him like a normal man, you accepted the conditions with him and loved him anyway. You'll remember in time, forgetting a lover is much more common than you'd think." She said before opening the door and allowing her family to reenter.
"Oh Mag, the place has made you hair so dingy! We need to schedule you a blow out once ya get discharged." My mother, Genevieve gushed, running her hands through my high ponytail, "Mom please just because I'm in the hospital doesn't make me a kid, I'm still 27." "I know darling, I just don't like seeing you this way." "I've got to get better and this is how it has to happen." "Yes you will."
"Hey Mag, can I tell you something?" Landry asked quietly. "Sure Landy. What is it?" "I'm engaged." "What?! No way! Landy!" "You're gonna think I'm nuts but, we met four months ago when I was in the Hamptons at a wedding." "Is she from New York?" "No she's from Savannah, and her name is actually Savannah." He chuckled. "I'm so happy for you Landy! When do I get to meet her?" "She's always wanted to visit London I thought about maybe bringing her this spring for a little vacation."