Status: just messing around with ideas

Blame It All on My Roots

Chapter 16

"How's Lorraine doing?" Kate asked passing me a macaroon as we watched the boys battle each other on the polo field. "Oh she's great!" "I'm so happy you and Harry worked things out, you two are just so sweet together." I smiled, "I'm definitely happier with him." "So you two are going out to the press again, today?" "That's the plan, after the match. It seems so silly to be planning out when and how we're gonna kiss." "Dating a prince is an experience," Kate laughed, "the things they want to stage seem so goofy and awkward. By the way your fascinator is fabulous!" "Thank you! I got it from my derby hat maker back home." "Oh you've been to the derby! I want to go so badly!" "Louisville the only reason I'd go to Kentucky, I love the derby its so fun! I haven't been since I moved though." "Oh we should all go someday! You know how much I love hats!" "They're the perfect completer piece to an outfit." "Oh you are just like Lorraine! Did you just see that shot! Harry's going to win this." "Truth be told I have no clue how polo works." We both laughed, "It took me years to understand. You're not alone."
"Congrats, babe!" I said running to Harry's open arms. "Love, you look absolutely beautiful!" He said picking me up and spinning me around. "Are you ready?" Harry whispered in my ear, I nodded quickly. We had to do this and make it public and obvious. We were in the middle of the polo field, I could hear the paparazzi shouting. Harry wrapped an arm around my waist and dipped me down, similar to the WW2 "Kiss" photograph, and pressed a deep kiss onto my lips.
"Hey," He said softly, lips still on mine, "I love you, Mag." I smiled against his lips, "I love you too, Harry."
I sat curled on Harry's bed with a cup of tea reading the totally bullshitted story about how there's an engagement and pregnancy scandal. "What's the story today, love?" Harry asked coming in from the bathroom in his boxers, "I'm pregnant with your child and we're getting married next March." "Oh its that's soon?" He joked. I laughed and finished up my tea and began packing my bags. I was flying to Charleston to help with Landry's wedding planning. "Do you have to leave?" "I wish I didn't have to but, Ginny gets what Ginny wants." "Ginny?" "My mom." "Oh, Genevieve." "Yea, I wish you'd come with me, you'd love the low country. The plantation house, fishing in the cyprus swamp." "I'll go." "You will? Like later today?" "I'll just talk to my security, we could just take my plane." "Harry you don't have to put everything on hold." "No, no Mag, its no trouble at all."

"Well Wales, welcome to the low country." I said as we turned to pull up the long gravel driveway to my family's plantation home, 20 minutes out side of the city of Charleston. This was the dark, rural country, cicadas chirped loudly as summer was drawing to a close. "Oh I love this song!" I said turning up Darius Rucker's Southern Style. "Mag, this song is you." Harry joked as I put the car in park. "Do you like me, southern style?" I giggled. "I don't like you, I love you." Harry smiled. We stayed in the car until his security car pulled in behind us.
"Oh Harry! This is such a pleasant surprise!" My mom gushed upon opening the door. "Where's dad?" I asked, peering into the empty study, "Oh he's at work still. Working late." "MAGGGGGG!" Landry called running down the stairs. "Harry, man it's great to see you!" Landry said giving him a man handshake. We were sitting and catching up in the living room, when my father and Whit entered, both with blazers drape dover their shoulders and ties loosened.
"Mr. Sterling," Harry stood up and offered his hand, "I'm Harry Wales, its a pleasure to finally meet you." "Well, it's about time we met." My father half joked, and half meant seriously. He was always so strange and unpredictable to me, we only ever talked about money issues.
We all sat around the dining room table after finishing my mom's signature Poppyseed Chicken when Harry asked, "Mr Sterling, Whit, Landry, I brought some cubans care for a smoke on the porch?" He knew how to win a Sterling man over, cigars are their weakness.