Status: just messing around with ideas

Blame It All on My Roots

Chapter 5

"Turn right and continue 10 miles to your destination." my GPS spoke, interrupting my jam session to The Killers. "10 mile driveway? Shit, Harry." I mumbled to myself as I drove up the road. Harry was indeed a man of his word, we were spending the weekend at his "country house", how formal. I was pretty much prepared for anything, especially beating him at target practice.
The tree lined drive was gorgeous, I couldn't see anything but green, and the narrow gravel driveway. Soon the house came into view. It was red brick and very stately, but a bit shabby. It reminded a bit of the Bennet's house from Pride and Prejudice. The landscaping was overgrown, but I liked the wild look. It reminded me of the family plantation house back home, as if it was with the land always. I put the car in park and fixed my messy straightened hair. Made sure my denim button up was messily tucked in and smoothed my lace skirt. My green wellies sloshed with every step towards the door on the damp ground. Richard opened the door and greeted me, "Miss Sterling, Harry is in the Library. I'll take your bags" He pointed down the hall to an open door, "Thank you, Richard." There was a grand oak stair case and oak paneled walls, it felt so woodsy and regal at the same time. At the point where the stair case split there hung a portrait of the queen, to Harry just his grandmother. I hadn't really comprehended what situation I was in, he was a prince to the world, but to me he was just a goofy ginger. Besides the secrecy of our three month relationship, most everything we did felt normal. Cooking, watching movies, talking on the phone, the occasional high school-esque make out sessions on the couch. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
"Hey, Wales." I said knocking on the door frame to get his attention from the book he was reading. "Love, you made it!" He said getting up and pulling me into his arms and gave me a sweet peck, "Let me show you around!" He said taking my hand. "Here's the living room," The oak panelling on the walls perfectly framed the fireplace and the portrait of Princess Diana that hung above it. Her eyes sparkled the same way Harry's do. "She was the greatest person I've ever known." Harry said quietly smiling at the painting. I gave his hand a comforting squeeze and smiled at him.

"Are you ready for some target practice?" Harry said taking me outside, "Oh hell yes." I laughed. I knocked my aviators off my head to my eyes to block the blinding sun. We drove out past the gardens to the hunting grounds and Harry joked, "Now don't disappoint me." "Oh I won't." I laughed, tightening my high ponytail. "Let's make it interesting and wager this: three tries, whoever gets all three gets oral." "Oh my god Harry." I laughed and blushed at the same time. "I don't hear a no." He winked handing me the shot gun. Three clay pigeons shouldn't be too hard, and it wasn't I got all three and so did Harry. "I think you made it too easy, Wales." "I guess we both win then." He said with a smirk.

"Don't get out of this bed." Harry half grunted through the comforter. I rolled over to face him, "I have to be in for my flight this afternoon" his arm around my waist pulled me closer, "I don't want to leave. But I can't miss my cousin's wedding." I said before kissing his cheek. "All week?" "I'm a bridesmaid I have to help with everything." He stuck his bottom lip out like a sad puppy. "Next Monday, I'll be back and you won't be on base-" "-I will be on base actually." "I thought you were off."I questioned. "I got a call yesterday morning, I'm being deployed in a week."

"Harry." was all I could squeak out. I was shocked to say the least, he had never been on active duty before with him being royal and all. I didn't know how to react. "Magnolia, love,-" "-Why did you wait to tell me?" "I wanted to enjoy this time with you I didn't want you worrying the whole weekend." "Harry!" my vision grew blurry with the impending tears. "Don't hide things that important from me!" I got up from the bed and started throwing my stuff back into my bag, "Are you just gonna leave like a coward now? Can you not handle it Mag?" I could hear the tears being choked back as he spit his words at me. "Damnit Harry you don't get it, do you?" I said wiping the tears off my cheeks. "Get what? You don't get that this isn't my choice. It's my duty." "Harry it's not that!" "Then what the bloody hell is it!" He yelled. "I'm in love with you. That's why I care." I said quietly, still shaking from his tone.

He felt like an ass. He had pushed too hard and then choked when it mattered most. He stood there helpless as she got ready to leave, he knew if he didn't do something that would be the last time he'd see her. She was fumbling for her keys in her purse in the foyer and he ran down the stairs, still in his boxers. "Magnolia," his voice was soft and timid just as hers had been when she admitted her feelings. "What now Harry?" She asked, bag and keys in her hands. "I love you." he said taking her bag and letting it drop to the floor with a thud, "I should've told you I was afraid of how you would react so I foolishly waited until the last minute," He took her hand with his shaking hand, "I love you and I don't know why the hell I waited so long to tell you. I'm an ass I know." He saw her pale blue eyes look up and saw that sweet smile start on her face with a little chuckle, "You really are. But god, I love you, Harry." "I don't want you to be late. I'll be in touch, let me know when you land." "I will, how long will you be gone." "6 months." "Guess we better make this kiss and hug good." she smiled and he laughed before they shared one last passionate kiss. "I love you, Wales." She whispered. "I love you too." "I'm proud of you. You're brave, don't forget that." I said giving him a kiss on the cheek before I went out to my car.