Status: just messing around with ideas

Blame It All on My Roots

Chapter 6

"Mag! Over here!" "Whit!" I squealed running into my big brother, Whittaker's arms. "Don't forget me ya lil idiot!" Landry said form behind him. "Oh Landry I could never forget you."
"So, Mag have you met a prince or somethin' yet?" Yes, but I just replied with, "Nah." "Music to my ears. I don't wanna have to fly over there a beat some little boy's ass." Landry joked. I didn't like lying to them, but I had to for now.
"Oh my sweet Magnolia! London has done you well you look so thin and pretty!" My mother said, delivering one of her trademark backhanded compliments. "Thank you." I said, sitting down. I felt the need to sit bolt upright so I didn't receive any comments about my posture. "Are you seeing anybody yet?" I rolled my eyes, here we go again down the marriage rabbit hole. I just shook my head no and took a sip of tea. "Beau talks about you non stop, you know he's working at your father's firm now. He's a promising attorney. He's coming to dinner, maybe you two could go and talk." "I told you I don't want anything to do with him." "But sweetheart-" "Let it go mom. I'm not going to be married anytime soon." "Magnolia Atticus-" "Leave her be Ginny." My father said entering the living room. "Mag, how's London." "It's good daddy. I've planned lots of benefits for the Institute." "Great job darlin'. Are you making enough?" "Yes I have enough and then some." "Your apartment still working?" "Yes."
For dinner, I changed into a mint high-waisted pencil skirt with a short, flowy v-neck tank, and wedges. I was about to go downstairs when I got a call from Harry,
"Wales?" "Love, did you get there safely?" "Yes. How is everything on base?" "Stressful, I'm ready to go ahead and go...Love, don't worry please? I'm going to write and video chat with you every chance I get." "I know you will. I'm just gonna miss you." "I'm gonna miss you too. I love you." "I love you too, Wales-" "YOU LOVE WHO?" Landry busted into my room, "LANDRY!" I screamed before hanging up the phone. "MAG WHO WAS THAT?" "Keep your voice down for christ sake, Landry." "I knew you were hiding something. Spill it now." "Landry." "Mag, no secrets between siblings remember?" "You can't tell anyone. Not even Whit." "Scout's honor." "I'm seeing someone." "I figured that much out, who is this little prick?" "He's not a prick. His name is Harry." "Harry what? What does he do?" "He's in the Royal Air Force." "And his last name?" "Um-uh." "Spit it out Mag." "Um Wales." "Wait, Wales? Like Wales, Wales?" I timidly nodded. "HOW IN THE HELL-" "Shut up!" "How in the hell did you meet a goddamn prince?"
"LANDRY, MAG DINNNNNNERTIME!" "I'll tell you the rest later. You absolutely cannot tell anyone. Okay Landry?" "I swear on my life I won't tell a soul." We did a pinky promise like we did as kids. I quickly dialed Harry before I went downstairs and said on voicemail, "Harry don't freak out but one of my brothers overheard me on the phone. But its okay I've got it handled. I love you, bye."

"London's lucky to have a woman like you." I rolled my eyes at Beau's put on charm. "Maggie, please talk to me." "That's not my name." "You always loved when I called you that." "That was three years ago." "And I still love just as much, if not more than I did then." "Beau stop it and just give it up. I'm never gonna come back around. I've moved on why can't you?" I said leaning onto the porch railing. "You're-re seeing someone else?" "I've seen multiple people in the past three years. Did you really think I would let you get away with doing that to me?" "Maggie, uh I mean Magnolia darlin' please it was a mistake." "A mistake that led to a pregnancy!" "She didn't keep it." "Beau that's even worse. You paid her to do it!" "I did it because I love you I wanna marry you. I'm a changed man, Maggie" He said getting down on one knee. "What the hell are you doing? Get up!" "Magnolia Atticus-" "I'm going to go inside and you're going to leave. Now."
"This time difference is killing me." I said looking at Harry's tired eyes and messy bed head. He had woken up just in time to Facetime me before I went to sleep. "Are you awake enough for a confession?" "Lay it on me, love." "I was engaged three years ago." "What?" I took a deep breath, "I was engaged to my high school boyfriend after we finished college. He's still living here, he actually works at my dad's firm and he was at dinner tonight. My mom has tried to get me back together with him since I called off the engagement." "You called it off?" "He cheated on me and the girl got pregnant and he paid her to get rid of it and I found out about it 3 weeks before the wedding." "Magnolia, love." "And he just won't stop with me he's so persistent. I may fly out right after the wedding just to get away." "If you don't feel safe I can send someone." "No Harry you don't need to do that. I want to come early to see you before you ship out anyway. I just felt like I needed to tell you." "Thank you, love. I'm sorry you had to go through that." "Something good came out of it at least." "What is that?" "I moved to London, found myself and found you." "I love you." "I love you too. We'll talk tomorrow okay?" "Goodnight, love." "Goodnight Wales."