Status: just messing around with ideas

Blame It All on My Roots

Chapter 8

His blue eyes were dark, there was no visible brightness to them. The dark circles under his eyes were practically black, his face was unshaved, hair dirty, and his hand was in a bloody bandage. We rode to Kensington in silence, he hadn't spoken a word to anyone but William since getting off the plane. He wouldn't even look at me, his gaze was glued to the passing streets outside. Even putting my hand on his thigh didn't emote any reaction. I just wanted him to be okay, but I knew he wasn't.
"Oh he just adores you." Kate gushed as little George giggled in my lap. Harry was cleaning up while everyone else waited in the drawing room. The moment Harry walked in, cleanly shaven and dressed in a crisp button down and slacks George couldn't control himself. I set him down on the carpet and he began crawling towards Harry with an infectious giggle the closer he got to his uncle. Harry couldn't help but crack a smile as he picked up the child
"Some missed his Uncle Harry." William said softly, not knowing how Harry would react to anything. "He's growing up so quickly. Good thing he's resembling Kate and not you, Wills." Harry snickered as he sat down on the couch next to me. It was a very Harry-like statement which I had missed over the past two months.
"Polo season starts soon have you thought about playing again?" Kate asked Harry. "I hadn't thought about it, but I may now. Once I get back from Lesotho next week I'll have some time on my hands." Lesotho? What? I felt so out of the loop, this was Prince Harry, not the Harry I was familiar with.

Are you free tonight? -M
No love, state dinner. -H

Movie tonight? -M
Can't dinner with the lads -H

PARTY PRINCE AT IT AGAIN. WILLIAM MAY BE FUTURE KING BUT HARRY IS THE KING OF THE CLUB SCENE. MAKING UP FOR LOST TIME AT THE PUBS. PUB PRINCE.
The tabloids were plastered with Harry's drunken smirk, bimbos in bodycon dresses, it was any girlfriend's worst nightmare. I stood dumbfounded at the news stand for 15 minutes before I mustered up the strength to walk to work. I angrily unzipped a De La Renta gown from its hanging bag and began stitching up the holes, drowning myself in work. Lorraine knocked on my door frame but I didn't notice until she spoke,
"Mag, darling are you okay?" I couldn't lie to Lorraine. "No, I'm not." "What's wrong?" "Well, the person I was seeing got deployed and he's been home for a month and I haven't seen him since the day he came back and-" I paused feeling the tears well up, "He's been so unavailable and I thought I was in love-" cue the tears, I attempted to speak through sobs, "But he's been out at clubs and bars with other girls and I just don't know what to do." I dropped my needle and buried my face in my hands and sobbed. "Mag, let me tell you something. Harry can be such a bloody fool." My mouth dropped open, "How do you know?!" "Oh darling, Kate isn't just a client. She's a very close friend. But that aside Mag, I'm going to tell you what you need to do. You have two weeks of vacation time built up. Please take it and go somewhere, just clear your mind and figure things out, keep a journal, rediscover yourself." "But where would I go?" "The Isle of Skye in the highlands is always beautiful this time of year. You can take an all day train up then there's this sweet little village with cottages you can rent then you can go hike the ridges."
Isle of Skye, 12 hours and 35 minutes by train from London. I took a deep breath before ordering my ticket for the next day. Here goes nothing.