Immortal

Letters

"Honey, you have a letter from Oli again," Mom called from the living room. I marked my place in the book I was reading, 'Raised by Raptors.' It was Oli's favourite book, and I've read it nine times, working on my tenth now.

I went into the living room, taking the sealed letter from mom. She knew not to read out letters.

"I'll be back down in two hours," I stated, then turned, going upstairs. Mom always went back to the post office in two hours.

I went into my room, closing and locking the door. I sat at my desk, softly peeling the wax seal off. I unfolded it. A smile crossed my face as I recognised Oli's writing.

'Dear Tommy,

How are you, my love? Nicholls has said hello this time. It's starting to look up here, not as many rebellions. I don't think they understand we're just trying to help, but they're settling down. At this rate, Sergeant Weinhofen said we'll be heading home in a week.

Anyway, I miss you so much my love. We may or may not be getting our own house when I get back, but that is my secret.

The nights are long and cold without you in my arms. I miss your gentle kisses, your sweet nothings in my ear, and your soft hands, caressing my cheeks, soothing me to sleep.

My time is short to write any more. I got to the bench late. I love you so much, Thomas Sykes. I can't wait to get home to you.

Love,

Oli Sykes'

Tears rolled down my face as I finished the letter. I missed him, too, but I was relieved and hopeful I would be seeing him in a week. He's been gone for more than three months, along with all our friends.

With a hope-filled mind, I got my parchment and quill, and started writing my letter to my one and only.