Immortal

Abandoned

"Oli, is that a kitten?!" I stopped Oli from walking with my question. We were returning home from the circus, but I had seen a small kitten in the alley. It had kitty blue eyes and black fur with white paws.

"Yeah. Let me guess. You want it, and you want to name it Mittens if it's a girl, and Baj if it's a boy," He said in an unimpressed tone.

"No!" I protested. He gave me a doubtful look.

"Yes," I sighed. His face suddenly broke into a grin.

"Go get it, and go home. I'll be back there with kitten shit," He told me. He gave me a short, loving kiss, then turned and left my side.

I went into the nearby deli, buying a little bit of turkey so the kitten would come to me. I went back to the alley, crouching down.

"C'mere, kitty, kitty," I cooed, holding out the turkey. I tossed some close to the kitten. The kitten scarfed it down like it was starving.

"I know that feeling, kitty. Starving, lost, abandoned. No mom," I whispered in a soothing voice that surprised me. I fed it more. It slowly crept closer as I tossed pieces closer to me.

"Hey, kitty," I cooed again, picking it up when it got close enough.

"I can be your new mama, like Oli and I got. You'll learn to love me as your real mom like Oli and I did with ours.... Mittens," I named her, after checking. I went to Oli and I's house, calling Oli's name when I went in. He called back from the kitchen.

I knew he would be happy with my decision to get Mittens.