Status: Recently born, subscribe so I know if I should continue

You Bring Me Back to the Ocean

Deux

Image


Calum's POV:

I can't breathe. I can't open my eyes. I can't move my fingers. There's water in my chest. I wonder if this is what dying feels like. I wonder if this is how it all ends. I wonder if ——
Calum heaved out a substantial amount of salt water before he managed to keep his balance. His chest burned from the drowning, his feet still a bit too cramped from the frantic movements he did earlier and his lungs, still out of breath. The first thing he sees is Luke, running towards him, worriedly. This is all your fault, stupid. He said in his mind, with clear memory that the reason why he fell off that speedboat was because of Luke's rowdiness. Calum made a mental note that he'll never let this go.
"Hey man, you okay?" he immediately asked, the moment Calum was within earshot. He handed over a towel that was initially placed on his shoulder. "Here,"
"Thanks man," Calum managed to exhale softly. Michael and Ashton, after a few seconds, were also by his side as well, their faces in a shade of anxiety and a maybe a little hue of nervousness. Luke, however, seemed to have no sense of anxiety at all that he was still able to crack a laugh. The three looked at him confused.
He continued laughing, "I am so sorry, I just remembered how you made funny faces when you were out there," he grasped his stomach unable to control his laughter. The other two laughed along.
Calum scowled, "you do know it was your fault why I fell in the first place, right?"
After one chuckle, Luke forced a straight face. "I'm sorry, dude." He apologized, somewhat sincerely, depending on how you look at it.
Before Calum was about to reply, medics arrived out of nowhere, carefully assisting him towards the mini-ambulance. He looked at the three boys who was as confused as he was. But shrugging it off, Calum went with the medics accordingly and told them the whole story as they asked. They told him that it would be better if he would stay at the hospital for a few hours or so, just to make sure no severe injuries or traumas were triggered.
"Sure," he said, riding the driver's seat of the mini-ambulance. "Hey," he motioned to Luke, "don't tell Johnny we got into this situation, or else he's going to cut our vacation short."
"Aye aye matey," Luke answered, which made Calum scowl even more. "Kidding!" he added, raising both arms into the air, as if to say he's guilty.
As they were about to leave for the hospital, the driver asked for their autograph. "I'm really sorry if I'm taking advantage of the situation, but my girls kind of overheard the conversation when the Astoria called for help," the driver (which was also a medic) said his face embarrassed, "I mean, Astoria just mentioned you were famous, but famous is a word that would freak the girls out, so I guess I had no other choice," he added again.
"Astoria?" Calum asked, not sure if he heard it right.
The medic revved the engine and headed for the road, "ah yes," he started, keeping his eyes on the street, "Astoria's the lifeguard who saved you, she was the one who called us for help,"
Now that Calum thought about it, he didn't really question why he was just suddenly on the shoreline when he woke. It had never occurred to him that someone did save him. Before anything else, he made another mental note which makes sure that he says thank you to the lifeguard.