‹ Prequel: Catch Me When I Fall

Your Smile Still Makes My Heart Sing

Sugar Hangover

I should put some serious thought into shutting my phone off at night; or at least putting it on silent while I sleep. I sleepily looked at my iHome clock which said it was 12:47am. I reached for my phone which was charging on the floor and vibrating like crazy. I didn’t bother looking at the caller ID, I just answered it.

“What?”

“That any way to treat your best buddy?” I sighed.

“It’s almost one, so yes.”

“I haven’t seen you in a day and a half and you still treat me like that?” I sat up to wake myself up.

“What am I supposed to say? Oh my gosh, Nick! I can’t believe you’re calling me and I can’t believe you’re back!” Nick laughed. “It was a day and a half you were in New York, and I totally survived thanks to your million texts.”

“Million and one you mean.” I laughed.

“Yeah, it was something like that, so why are you waking me up?”

“It’s Friday night, and you’re already in bed?”

“Yes, Friday’s I go to bed at 12 because I am beyond tired.”

“Can we go out? I want to see my bud.” I laughed as I ran my fingers through my hair. “Is that a yes?”

“Where do you want to go?”

“Well, I overheard your plans with Joseph, and I want to keep you to your plans. How about me and you drive downtown to Wendy’s and get a bunch of milkshakes?” I laughed out loud, but covered my mouth seeing as everyone was in bed.

“Dude let’s do it, but wait a few minutes, I want to change out of my pajamas.”

“Just stay like that; I’m in my pajamas too. I’ll meet you outside your house in a minute, okay?”

“Fine, but don’t wake anybody up okay?”

“Okay, bye.” I ended the call and went into my closet. I dug around and found a pair of Ugg boots and put those on. I was dressed in a fairly decent pair of pajamas which were Nick’s old pajama bottoms and an old ACDC t-shirt. I grabbed my car keys and left my room and walked out of my house.

“Wait, I just thought of something,” I whispered to Nick.

“What?”

“My stupid car will wake up the whole neighborhood, we have to push it out then take off from down the street.” Nick laughed.

“Wow you’re smart.” He sighed. “Okay, fine, let’s do it before I change my mind.” I opened the doors, put they key in and put it in neutral.

“Okay, just help me push it up the street and we can start it up there, okay?” Nick nodded as we pushed the car. At least we didn’t live on a hill or this would be really difficult. Once we were a good distance from our houses, I started the car and we took off.

“Aw, so my Nicky is back. How was Nueva York?”

“New York was great as always, but I think I went deaf for a minute. This girl screamed in my face and it was funny but creepy.” I started laughing.

“That really sucks.”

“I guess, but we did a miniature concert there and everyone was hyped up.”

“Fun.”

“Yep.”

“When’s your next tour?”

“Probably beginning of the year, so we’ll at least have Christmas at home.”

“That sounds fabulous.” Nick laughed.

“If you say so.”

“Why does Wendy’s have to be a million miles away? They should build one next door or something.”

“I know, or they should at least make some sort of ice cream store by our house.”

“There is one, near the park.”

“Well I meant open 24/7.” I laughed as we finally arrived at Wendy’s.

“You know, now I want donuts.”

“Okay, you’re going to clog up your arteries one day.” I laughed as I closed the car door and walked to the back of the car. Nick laughed. “Nice outfit.”

“Hey I could say the same for you. We’re wearing the same thing except you have Chucks on.”

“No, my shirt’s better.”

“Yeah, Elvis Costello is a hunk.” I rolled my eyes as Nick and I both walked into Wendy’s. “I can’t choose.” Nick laughed.

“Me either.”

“I want all three of those Frosty Shakes; want to share three with me?”

“Three? Are you serious?”

“Fine, I really want just the strawberry and the chocolate one. Not a huge fan of vanilla.”

“I’ll take a vanilla one then, but do you know how much sugar’s in all of that?”

“Yeah, like 80 grams I bet. So vanilla?” Nick nodded as I went up to the cashier.

“Morning!” I said a little too overly excited which made the guy laugh.

“Don’t you mean night?”

“No, it’s past midnight, so it’s technically morning. Anyways, can I have three of those Frosty Shakes in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla?”

“That it?” I nodded. “Are those all for you?”

“Well I wanted three, but Nick’s being a meany.” The guy looked at Nick who just laughed. I paid the guy the money and waited for the drinks. We took them to a booth and sat down across from each other.

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted this!” I said as I took a sip of the strawberry one.

“Aren’t these new?”

“Yeah, but I saw the commercial and had to have one. Have you seen Charlie and the-” Nick laughed.

“Yeah, I’ve seen that. The part where you reach into the TV and pull out chocolate, right?” I nodded as I took a long sip from the chocolate one.

“They should consider inventing that. That’d end world hunger, right?” Nick laughed.

“But everyone would be reaching for the same thing, wouldn’t they?” I laughed.

“Oh, never really thought of that.”

“How’s your chocolate slash strawberry?”

“Pretty good, and your plain vanilla?”

“It’s good, but can I try one of those?” I laughed.

“I knew you were going to ask that, duh go ahead.” I pushed them both forward and Nick took a long sip from each leaving them both at the half mark. “Thanks a lot for leaving me with so little.”

“No problem. Hey, that’s actually pretty good, want to switch?” I scoffed and brought my drinks closer to me.

“Get your own Jerry.”

“I’m sorry, what did you say? It sounded a lot like Annabelle.” I scrunched up my nose. “That’s what I thought. You almost done?” I laughed as I started drinking the chocolate one.

“Nope, I still have the strawberry to finish up.” Nick reached over and grabbed the strawberry frosty and started drinking it. “Hey, that’s not very nice. What’s your rush anyways?”

“I’m not in a rush; I just rather get out of here and do something else.”

“There’s nothing to do outside this last anyways. Your mom is going to kill you if she realizes you’re not home.”

“Same with yours.”

“Well at least I’m not famous.”

“True, but at least I’m not alone.”

“I guess, but if I get blamed, I’m telling everyone this was your idea.” Nick laughed.

“Okay, that sounds fair.” I heard my phone make a faint ringing noise and stopped. As I took my phone out I heard Nick’s make a similar noise. He laughed as he took it out. We both received the same text message from the same person. It consisted of five words that made us laugh.

Where the hell are you?

“Kevin?” we both asked and laughed again.

“Aw, he’s such a good brother always checking up on you.”

“I guess, but he’s going to complain we didn’t bring him along.” I laughed as I took my drink back from Nick and finished it up. “But he went straight to bed as soon as we got home.”

“When’d you get back?”

“Two hours ago.”

“Oh, I see.” My phone beeped again and I took it out.

I know Nick’s with you, so can someone please answer me?

“Aw, poor Kevin. I forgot about him for a minute.” I stood up from the booth and threw away my empty cups. “Ready to go?” Nick nodded as he followed behind me. We both stopped walking when we got outside.

“Are you texting? And you’re not even looking where you’re walking?” I was looking down on my phone walking slowly in the middle of the street. Nick walked side-by-side to me and threw his arm over my shoulder.

It’s your brother’s idea, don’t worry he’s safe. Looove you!

“There are no cars in freakin’ Wyckoff; especially at one o’clock.” Nick laughed as we both got into my warm car. As I started my car, my phone beeped again.

Your car is gone, where’d you go and what did you buy me?

I laughed as I replied back.

We went to Mexico, woo! And yeah right, as if I’d buy you anything. Did you get me anything from New York?

I handed Nick my phone and took off.

“What’s he saying?”

“Where are we and did I buy him anything.” Nick laughed.

“I thought he was sleeping.”

“He probably knew you were coming over anyways, hence the same text we got.”

“Gee Nick, thanks for sharing the news that we’re going out before I even know about it.”

“You mean tonight? I didn’t even tell anyone, he just assumed.” I laughed as we finally came around to our street. I quickly parked the car in the front of the house and shut off the engine.

“I bet everyone still heard that,” Nick said as he got out of the car. I got out of the car and shut the door.

“Shut up Nicky.” He laughed as we both sat on the curb.

“This is fun.” I nodded my head as my phone beeped yet again.

I heard you.

I started laughing but quickly stopped seeing as it was almost two.

“You know I heard some of your older stuff. Before you guys became a group.”

“Yeah? Did you like it?” I laughed.

“I thought it was cute; especially ‘When You Look Me in the Eyes.’ I love your little voice.” Nick laughed sarcastically. “No, I’m serious. It was really cute.”

“Thanks, I guess.” I laughed.

“Yeah, so you busy tomorrow?”

“No, I am Sunday through Tuesday though.”

“What a bummer, at least Monday and Tuesday are school days.”

“Yeah, I guess so. But you know I’m still going to bother you with a billion texts.”

“I thought it was a billion and one.”

“Same thing.” I laughed as I put my head on Nick’s shoulder. “You tired?”

“Try waking up at 6:30, I am so not a morning person even if it is school.”

“I woke up at six for the past three days, aren’t I awesome for that?”

“No, you’re a loser that probably goes to bed at 8 so you can get your require 8-10 hours of sleep.” Nick laughed.

“You’re such a stalker; I’m going to put curtains in my room now.”

“Very funny, I didn’t know Nick Jonas had a sense of humor.”

“Ha ha, I didn’t know Jasmina Gonzalez had a sarcastic sense of humor.”

“That made no sense.”

“I was calling you a sarcastic person, how could you not get that? Wait; are you really blonde like your aunt?” I laughed.

“No! She dyed her hair you turd.”

“I’m a turd now?” I nodded. “Thanks Jas, I feel the love from you.”

“Really? I didn’t know you could be loved.” Nick laughed. “Sorry, you know I’m kidding. Nick, you’re awesome and all of that stuff.”

“I can tell you’re tired when you stop making sense.”

“I make sense all the time,” I replied.

“Okay, believe that if you want to.”

“Guys, its 2:15, go to bed!” We both turned around to see Kevin whose hair looked messier than usual which made me laugh.

“I should take a picture of you and show Kelsey.” Kevin crossed his arms and didn’t laugh. “Fine, I’ll go to bed.” We both stood up and looked at Kevin.

“Why are you up anyways?”

“I was hungry, and when I went to check on you and Frankie you were gone.”

“Aw, KevyBear! You’re such a great brother! I wish Brian checked on me.”

“Shouldn’t you be the one checking on him?”

“No, he’s a boy and I’m such a great sister.”

“Did you eat something with a lot of sugar?”

“Umm…”

“I’ll take that as a yes. Good one Nick,” Kevin said.

“What did I do?”

“I think I have a sugar hangover or something,” I replied randomly.

“Yeah, can you make it to your bed?” Kevin asked.

“Probably, maybe. Maybe not… I don’t know.” I stared at Kevin with my head tilted to the side.

“Need help going to your room?” Kevin asked.

“No.” Kevin laughed for the first time.

“You really do have a sugar hangover.” I laughed.

“Um, no Kevin.” I put my arm on his shoulder and laughed again.

“Come on, you’re staying over.”

“No, your house is haunted.”

“I know, by a certain guy named Joseph,” Nick said which made me laugh.

“I’m going to my bed, good night guys.” I walked away from them and toward my house.

“Sleep tight,” Kevin said as I walked toward my house and opened the front door. I closed the door and looked up my stairs. I walked up them safely and into my room. I went straight to my bed and laid on it. Again with the beeping noise from my phone. I looked at it.

You make it okay?

I smiled as I replied back.

No, I fell down the stairs :P

Very funny, goodnight sweetie!

Night Fuzzy Bear.

I turned my phone on silent and left it charging on my floor. Now for a peaceful, long night of sleep.