‹ Prequel: Catch Me When I Fall

Your Smile Still Makes My Heart Sing

Amanda Lapidus, Meet Joseph Jonas

"See told you we'd win!" Brian practically yelled in my face.

"Yeah, whatever," I said standing on the bleachers and walking down towards the field.

"Now you owe the whole team pizza." I scoffed.

"Yeah, whatever. I wouldn't even buy you pizza."

"I'll buy you pizza!" Joe said running past me and standing next to Brian. "But I get to eat half of it." Brian laughed.

"Deal. Anyone else want to come?"

"You're acting like you can drive," I said putting my hair in a messy ponytail. "Who's the one that has to drive Dumb and Dumber to the pizza place?"

"Joe, get your damn license," Brian scowled as I laughed walking towards the car with Nick and Kevin.

"So, Nick tells me you and Joe are on talking terms?" Kevin asked with a little sly smile on his face. I looked over at Nick who started whistling and looking the other way. I elbowed Nick and kept walking. "Come on, I know you better. When you're quiet it's true."

"Well, I still don't forgive him," I said walking over to the car and sitting on the hood.

"Yeah, but you seemed to be having fun a few hours ago," Nick said leaning on the hood.

"Nick, get your faded gray, skinny jean ass off the car." Nick laughed as he removed himself from touching the car.

"So, you miss the iron head?" Kevin said. I glared at him. "Aw, it's okay, we won't tell."

"I don't miss him. I'm just slowly getting back to talking terms with him."

"Meaning you missed him." I rolled my eyes.

"Kevin, I hate you."

"Listen to this. I know you missed him because you wouldn't be in talking terms with him otherwise."

"Nu uh. It's just awkward because the three of us are close and he's always there. No matter what I have to talk to him sometime."

"She's right, in a weird way," Nick said.

"Yes! Nick you can put your little butt back on the car." Nick laughed as he leaned on the car again.

"Whatever, I just know you two are going to get back together," Kevin said. If there was such thing as a 'soft rock', I would throw one at Kevin right about now since rocks bombarded the parking lot.

"Luis!" I yelled across the parking lot. I saw him and my dad deep into a conversation as he looked over and did the girlish wave ever. "Ew, what a queer." Nick and Kevin both laughed.

"You became so mean after two months," Nick said.

"Awesome, do I scare you? Huh, huh?" Nick laughed.

"No, I love it."

"What a creep," I said getting off the hood. I stood next to Kevin and crossed my arms.

"So, I'm kind of bored," Kevin said.

"Me too," Nick and I said.

"We should go play miniature golf somewhere," I suggested.

"For sure, but just the three of us?" I shrugged.

"I still want you guys to meet Amanda and I bet you Dumb and Dumber want to tag along," I said. Nick laughed.

"I love how you call them that."

"What? It's true." Joe and Brian finally made their way towards us. "Hey idiots, we're jetting soon, so I guess you have to walk home."

"But that's 15 miles away," Brian complained.

"Well, run fast." Brian threw his soccer ball at me for the second time that day. "Stop throwing the damn ball!" I grabbed the ball and threw it back at him; but being quick on his feet, he moved before I could get him. The ball hit Joe dead on in his stomach. Nick and Kevin both hid their laughter and I just couldn't help but laugh.

"Wow, you still have bad aim Jasmina," Joe said rubbing his stomach and picking up the ball. "Bet you I have better aim."

"Throw that at me and you are dead."

"So, are we getting pizza or not?" Brian asked.

"You can get pizza, but Kev, Nick and I are all going to play golf and no you're not welcomed." Brian scowled.

"Why the hell not?"

"Uh, my car, my rules. I am not chauffeuring you idiots around."

"Then I'm telling dad."

"You're such a baby. Tell him, he's not going to do anything but laugh."

"Then I'll tell him you and Joe broke up." My smile fell from my face.

"You never told your parents we broke up?" Joe asked.

"No, because they'd lose all sorts of respect for you and wouldn't ever let me go to your guys' house ever."

"So, you do still care," Joe said.

"I never said I cared. I was thinking more about Nick and Kevin then of you." Joe smiled.

"Yeah, sure. So, miniature golf? Kevin you want to drive me? I don't think little Gonzo over here wants to be in the same car with me. It's a long drive baby." I felt like slapping the stupid smile right off his face. I was about to also, until Nick pulled me back and walked me into the car.

"Don't do anything you're going to regret," he said.

"Nick, he is NOT coming with us! I'd rather spend the day babysitting a bunch of two year olds, then spend time with him."

"He's riding with Kevin, okay? It's just going to be me and you. I'll go tell your dad what we're doing."

"Okay, just make sure Brian doesn't get in Kevin's car. I will seriously kill." Nick laughed as he walked over to where my dad was. He talked to him for a minute and started walking back. Nick got in the car.

"He told me to give you this." Nick showed me forty dollars.

"That's it?" Nick laughed. "Kidding." I started the car and took off.

"Oh Nick, do me a favor and press five on my phone and put it on speaker." Nick grabbed my phone and pressed five.

"Do I send?"

"Duh."

"Well, you never said that," Nick said laughing.

"Wow, you're so stupid." Nick pressed send and I heard the line ringing.

"What it do bitch," Amanda said on the other line. Nick laughed.

"Hey buddy, what are you doing?"

"Nothing, bored out of my damn mind. Is the game done?"

"Yeah," I replied. "Listen I'm five minutes from your house, want to play golf with me and my boys?"

"Hell yeah woman. I'm sitting in my room all dolled up for nothing. Might as well meet some guys. You said they're all single?" Nick laughed again. "Oh em gee, you're with one of them now? Let me talk!"

"God, pushy are we? You can't get with this one though, he's mine, so back off," I said. Amanda laughed.

"Okay, just put him on."

"Talk Nicky," I said.

"Hi Amanda."

"What's up? Wait who's this?"

"I'm Nick."

"That's such a hot name. How old are you?" Nick laughed.

"16, you?"

"17, I'll be 18 next year, woo baby!" Nick and I both laughed.

"So, are your brothers hot?" Amanda asked. Nick looked at me and I just laughed.

"Quit hounding the guy Mand," I said. "And go outside, we'll be there in 20 seconds."

"Whatever, I'll see you." I heard the line click and Nick put the phone down.

"Does she know who we are?"

"She knows the Jonas Brothers, but doesn't know that my boys are them," I replied.

"So, is she going to freak out?" I laughed.

"I have no clue. I know she thinks you guys are hot and she wants to do some unnecessary things to Joe." Nick laughed as I pulled on the curb in front of Amanda's house. I was about to honk the horn, when Amanda came out of her house. I got out the car so she can sit in the back.

"Took you long enough," she said as she gave me a hug. "I would kiss you, but I just put on a crapload of lip gloss."

"Typical." I saw Nick get out of the car. "Mandy, this is Nicky." Amanda took off her sunglasses and looked at Nick.

"You said you're 16? Hot damn baby." I hit Amanda on her arm. "I mean, hey, nice to meet you." She stuck her hand out as Nick smiled and shook it. "So, is Luis coming?" I rolled my eyes.

"Get in the car you boy obsessed weirdo." Amanda scoffed as she went into the back seat. Nick and I both got in the car as I heard my phone start vibrating. "Nick get that please."

"Hello?" Quiet. "No, we went to pick up Amanda." Quiet again. "Jasmina's friend." Nick huffed. "See for yourself when we get there Joe."

"Ew, what the hell is he doing calling my phone?" I asked. I grabbed the phone from Nick. "Why are you calling me?"

"Hello to you too," Joe said sarcastically.

"What do you want?"

"Well, Kevin wanted to know where you went because he lost you in the freeway. Then I told him you were probably driving 100mph, and that's why he couldn't find you." I rolled my eyes and ended the call. "What a, UGH!" Nick laughed.

"Who's Joe?" Amanda asked. "Another one of your boys?"

"Not anymore." I slammed my foot on the gas pedal and got on the freeway.

"Wait, Joe is the guy's name?" Amanda asked. I nodded my head. "And this kid is Nick?" I started smiling; the blonde finally was on to something. "Nick, do you have any other brothers?"

"Yeah, two." I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw the shocked expression on Amanda's face.

"Oh shit! Don't tell me you're Nick Jonas!" Nick looked at me and laughed. "Oh my gosh! You are!"

"Mandy, scream and you're dead."

"I'm not going to scream," Amanda said offended. "I just was shocked that you know the hottest guys ever."

"Yeah, well, yeah. Not much to say about that." Amanda laughed.

"So, these are the guys Luis has a crush on." I laughed.

"Yeah, he goes to Kevin 'Dude, I love you, no homo.' He's so stupid." Amanda laughed.

"Wow, what a loser."

"Yet, you still love him." She scoffed.

"Do not."

"Whatever, you know you're meant for each other," I said.

"Like you and Joe," Nick whispered.

"I hate you Nick!" Nick laughed.

"Aw, but you know I wub you."

"Wub? How about no."

::::::

"Took you guys long enough to get here," Joe said. "I paid for your stuff already Jas." I raised an eyebrow and looked at him.

"Gee, thanks. Oh, Kevin, this is Amanda." Amanda and Nick were talking as I went over and pulled her away. "Mand, this is Kevin."

"What is up Mr. Caliente?" Amanda said as she took one good look at Kevin.

"He has a girlfriend Mand." She scoffed.

"Well, he's still hot. And, whoa, you're even hotter in person." Amanda was looking directly at Joe, who looked like he was starting to drool; unless he always did that.

"Why hello there. I'm Joe Jonas, and you are?" He took her hand and kissed the top of it.

"I'm Amanda Lapidus, but you can call me Mandy." I glared at the two of them and walked over where Nick and Kevin were at.

"Well, somebody has a crush," Nick said. I was going to hit him with my club, but decided against it.

"What's with that look?" Kevin asked.

"What look?" I asked.

"You look extremely mad."

"Well, how would you like it if your best friend was flirting with your ex-boyfriend?"

"Well, I don't have an ex-boyfriend, so I'm sorry, can't help you with that one." I walked away from where Kevin and Nick were, but they caught up. "I'm kidding Jas!"

"Jas, don't tell me you’re jealous?" Nick said. "Aren't you happy you're getting Joe out of your life now?"

"I wanted him to quit bugging me. I didn't want him to start falling head over heels with my best friend."

"Does she even know you two went out?" Kevin asked.

"No, but-"

"See, tell her and she'll stop." I looked over at the Joe and Amanda whose eyes were glued to each other.

"Yeah right. Look how much she's into him. I can't tell her, she'll think I want him back and then she'll yell at me or something. Either way, I lose someone."

"I'm sorry Jas," Nick said sincerely as he put his arm around my shoulder.

"Don't be. I don't care anymore. I'm over the initial shock of seeing them flirting with each other."

"What if they start going out?" Kevin asked stupidly, but by looking at his facial features, I knew he hated himself for saying that. "I'm so sorry! I just-"

"Don't worry about it. If that ever happens, I won't even care the slightest bit."

Well, that was a big fat lie.