One Night Becomes a Liftime

Emotionally Drained

I didn’t get much sleep last night with my mind constantly going over what Brent said to me, so I gave up on trying and just got up to start getting ready for my day. Having to make this decision in such a short time was so hard but I had a feeling I knew what I had to do. The first thing I had to keep in my mind was Evan, I had to do what was best for him.

I didn’t know what time Adam’s plane was schedule to get in this morning and I had to leave for work at seven and Evan didn’t leave for school until seven thirty. I sat there debating on whether or not to take him to Sarah’s house so she could take him to school. By six fifteen I was dressed in my scrubs sitting in the kitchen drinking my morning coffee when there was a soft knock at my front door, I knew this time it had to be Adam.

I got up and opened it to see a tired looking Adam standing there in front of me dressed in his post game suit with the tie hanging loosely around his neck. “Morning sunshine.” He said as he took the cup of coffee from my hand and began drinking it as he walked in. “Is little man up yet?”

“That’s not his nickname anymore.” I said sarcastically as I walked into the kitchen to make myself another cup of coffee. “Evan has been blessed with a new hockey nickname from the oh so wonderful Duncan Keith… he wants to be called mini Seabs now.” I sarcastically said as Adam took a drink from the coffee he stole from me and he ended up spitting it out all over the wall. “You better clean that mess.” I scolded him as I held the paper towels out to him.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Adam asked as he set the cup down on the counter and grabbed the roll of paper towels to clean the mess he just made.

“I took Evan to practice yesterday and the Chicago Blackhawks came to watch the kids practice and also gave the team some one on one time.”

“Shit Ang I forgot about that… I’m sorry, was he there?”

“Yes and before you ask, yes he saw me and knows all about Uncle Adam being around.” I said as I looked over at the clock. “I have to wake Evan.” I said walking away from him and he just stood there staring at his mess in a complete daze.

I went in Evan’s room and woke him up, he shuffled his tired little body to the bathroom and washed up as I pulled out his school uniform. I laid his things out on his bed for him and walked back to the kitchen where Adam was refilling his coffee mug. While he did that I got Evan’s breakfast ready for him knowing once he was dressed he would come in the kitchen ready to eat.

“What time does your shift end today?” Adam asked looking over at me. “I can come over after the game and we can figure things out.”

“I’m not working the diner tonight so I get off at five thirty, giving me enough time to pick Evan up from daycare then apparently I have to go to the game tonight.”

Just as he was about to say something Evan came bounding in the kitchen with a smile on his face. “Uncle Adam guess what I did yesterday.”

“What did you do?” Adam said giving Evan his full attention as he squatted down in front of him.

“I got my slap shot pass Bradley just like you taught me.” Evan said in an excited voice and Adam smiled as he gave him a high five. “And mommy let me go to dinner with the Chicago Blackhawks, they are so cool. I even had two bowls of ice cream after dinner.”

“You had dinner with the Hawks?” Adam said looking up at me over his shoulder with questioning eyes.

Evan nodded at him. “It was lots of fun and they said I can do it again whenever I want, I’m their new friend and favorite player on my team.”

Adam smiled at him and Evan walked over to the table to sit down. “Ang, why did he have dinner with them?” Adam asked me in a low voice as he stood up and turned to face me.

“I wasn’t given much of a choice.” I said shrugging my shoulders. “Can we talk about this later I need to get going?” I said walking over to the table with Evan’s breakfast. “Are you sure you can take Evan to school, you look tired Adam? I can have Sarah take him.”

“Don’t worry.” Adam said in a low voice. “I got him.”

“I’ll see you when I get out of work.” I said kissing Evan’s forehead and he nodded at me as he shoved food in his mouth and I walked over to Adam and kissed his cheek. “Thanks for everything you do for me. I really do appreciate all of it.”

“Ang, everything will be ok.” He said in a sincere voice but I was having a hard time believing it and he knew that. “I mean it… everything will be ok.” He said kissing my temple and I smiled at him.

I left to work knowing Adam would get Evan to school for me. When I arrived at the hospital it was quiet and calm enough for me to call my sister to tell her what was going on. Carly was stunned silent when I told her that I came face to face with Brent Seabrook. She honestly didn’t have any words of wisdom for me and I knew she wouldn’t because she has never had this kind of problem. Just talking with her helped me calm my nerves enough to get me through my shift at the hospital. Getting my RN wasn’t easy with a little one at home but I managed to get it done and I was able to cut my hours back at the diner to give Evan a little more of my attention.

A few hours into my shift I received a text message from a number I didn’t know, and I figured it had to be Brent so I opened it. “Don’t leave when the game is over, I want to see my son before I have to leave town tomorrow morning. I also need to know what arrangements we need to make by tonight.”

My nerves weren’t calm anymore after reading his text because I had not even told Evan about Brent being his father yet. I knew if I didn’t do it before tonight he would do it for me and I didn’t want that I wanted Evan to hear it from me. I went searching for the head nurse hoping I could get off work a little earlier than usual so I could have the dreaded talk with Evan. After finding her and she didn’t have a problem with me leaving a couple of hours early I quickly got everything I could done before leaving at a quarter to three.

I got to Evan’s school just before he got out and he was happy to see me picking him up. “Mommy.” He said running to me with a smile across his face. “I don’t have to go to the daycare with Sarah today?”

“Not today little man.” I said smiling as I helped him into his booster seat.

“Mommy you’re supposed to call me mini Seabs now.” He said shaking his head at me.
I sucked in a deep breath then slowly exhaled. “Evan we need to talk about that.” I said to him as I closed his door and climbed in the driver’s seat.

He didn’t say anything to me after I said that and I kept glancing back at him while I drove home. I could tell he knew something wasn’t right because rather than tell me about his day at school he stood there quiet looking out the window the whole ride home. When we got home Evan ran into his room to change out of his uniform and I slowly followed behind him knowing I had to do this now and I wasn’t sure exactly how to do it.

“Mommy why don’t you like my new name?” he asked as he slipped his navy blue polo off and grabbed his Adam Burish sweater and slipped it over his head.

“Evan your new nickname is fine… it’s about what that name means.” I said and he looked up at me confused as he changed from his khakis pants to a pair of jeans. “I know you won’t understand much of what I’m about to tell you but please try to understand, ok.” I said and he stood there nodding at me. “You know all the guys you had dinner with last night… well I know some of them from a long time ago, like Uncle Adam. See Evan Uncle Adam used to play on the Blackhawks with them.”

“Mommy that’s so cool but why do you look sad?” he asked me in an innocent voice that broke my heart.

“Brent Seabrook… the guy that brought you home last night.” I stopped talking and sucked in a deep breath trying to hold back the tears I knew were ready to fall. “He’s… Evan he is… Evan.” I was having a hard time getting it out and Evan stood there just staring at me struggle. “There is no easy way to do this, Evan… Brent Seabrook is your father.”

I stood there watching as many emotions played across Evan’s face. First there was excitement but then anger followed quickly by hurt but my son had settled with a phase between anger and hurt. “You lied to me… mommy you lied to me.” He said as tears started to run down his face. “You told me my daddy was gone and he’s not.”

“Evan he was gone, he wasn’t here with us… it was just the two of us.” I said moving to kneel in front of him and tried to pull him into a hug but he backed away from me. “Evan?”

“I wanted a daddy like all my friends and you said I couldn’t because he was gone.” he yelled as he put more distance between us. “You lied to me… mommy you lied to me. I do have a daddy and you wouldn’t let me see him… you’re mean to me mommy.”

“I wasn’t trying to be mean, Evan I love you and I didn’t want you to get hurt.” I said trying to hold my own tears back.

“I don’t love you no more.” He said running out of his room and I felt like my heart shattered into pieces at that moment. “I want my Uncle Adam.” I heard him trying to open the front door so I quickly climbed to my feet and ran to grab him before he could get out of it. Evan started swinging his arms and kicking his legs to get out of my hold as I closed the door again. “Let me go, I want my Uncle Adam.”

“Evan Casalino Uncle Adam is at the arena, he is not home.” I said trying to calm him down. “If you stop acting like this I will take you to the arena but if you don’t stop we will not go.” I said in a very stern voice and his body became still because I had never used that voice with him before, I released him and he quickly moved away from me. “I know you don’t understand why I did this and I’m sorry.”

“Can we go now?” Evan said crossing his arms over his chest and looked away from me. “I want Uncle Adam.”

“Yeah we can go.” I said in a defeated voice as I grabbed my keys and wallet, I didn’t even bother changing out of my scrubs, I wasn’t going there to impress anyone.

Evan didn’t say another word to me on the drive to the arena and when I tried to help him into his booster seat he pushed my hands away and buckled himself up. When we got there Evan had climbed out of his seat and waited for me to get out so I could open his door. I opened his door and he climbed out, again not letting me help him. We walked up to will call and got our tickets, Brent had us sitting in a family suite and I wasn’t very happy about that because there were people I didn’t know in there and I had rather been down in the stands.

I watched as Evan leaned forward on the rail intensely watching the game, normally he would be rooting loudly for the Sharks but today he seemed confused on who he should be cheering for but I watched as his face lit up whenever Brent was on the ice. The few times I tried to talk to him he wouldn’t even turn to face me, he just kept his eyes on the ice.

By the end of the third period Evan had fallen asleep on a couple of the chairs that were by the rail so he could lay down to watch the game. I wasn’t sure of where to go so I stood in my seat and watched as the arena slowly emptied out. I checked my phone a few times to see if may be he would send me some kind of message telling me where to go but nothing came in.

“Ms. Casalino.” A gentleman said walking into the suite and I turned to face him. “I was told to escort you and the child down to the locker room.”

“Do you happen to know which locker room I’m going to?” I asked as I slowly lifted Evan up into my arms resting his head on my shoulder. “I’m only asking because I know people on both teams.”

“Oh.” The guy said smiling at me. “We’re going to the visitor’s locker room and Mr. Burish told me to tell you he would meet you there.”

“Ok, lead the way.” I said smiling at him.

It was a long walk from the family suite all the way down to the locker rooms and Evan wasn’t the lightest kid to carry. When we finally got down there I was exhausted from carrying him and I felt like shit. I waited out in the hall while the guy went into the locker room to let Brent know we were here. A few minutes later Brent came out dressed in a crisp clean suit with slightly damped hair and I couldn’t help but notice how gorgeous he looked in it which made me feel even more shitty because I was still in my scrubs from work with my hair tossed up in a messy bun.

“Wow did he enjoy the game that much?” Brent said smiling at me.

“More like emotionally drained.” I said as I adjusted my hold on him and Brent stepped forward to take him from me. “I got him.” I said trying to pull away.

“Angela I can see you’re struggling just let me hold him for you.” He said taking him from my arms, Evan laid his head down on Brent’s shoulder as he held Evan like he weighted nothing at all in just one arm. “What do you mean by he is emotionally drained?” he asked as he rubbed Evan’s back in a soothing motion.

“I told him the truth about you and he basically hates me right now.” I said as I became uncomfortable under his gaze. “I told him the best way I could and I don’t think he took it well.”

“Did he honestly say he hated you?” Brent asked raising his eyebrow at me and I wanted to punch him for not believing me.

“His exact words were I don’t love you no more.” I said pulling the bun out and ran my fingers through my hair hoping to make it look at least somewhat presentable. “So I would say that means he hates me right now.”

“Ang.” We both heard Adam call my name and the both of us looked over to the side to see him walking towards us.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” Brent snapped at him as he went to move closer to Adam but I quickly stepped in front of him. “Get out of my way Angela.”

“Brent you have our son in your arms, I am not getting out of your way.” I snapped at him as I lightly rubbed Evan’s back.

“Take him.” Brent said looking down at me and I shook my head no and took a step back from him. “Really Angela, you’re not going to take him?”

“Not if that’s what keeps you from trying to do anything stupid.”

Brent sucked in a deep breath but I knew he had to have understood why I was doing this. I looked over at Adam and he looked concerned. “Adam I told Evan the truth and he knows Brent is his father.”

“How did little man take it?” Adam asked with wide eyes.

“Why does it fucking matter to you?” Brent snapped at him.

“Brent watch your mouth.” I snapped at him as I watched Evan’s body begin to stir.

“Seabs I know you’re pissed at me right now but if I would have said anything you know Angela would have left.” Adam said trying to reason with him.

Brent just seemed to blow him off as he looked over at me. “Did you think about what we talked about last night?”

“Yeah I did.” I said in a soft voice. “You have to give me some time to work things out here in San Jose but I guess it would be best for me and Evan to just move to Chicago.”

“Wait a minute… you can’t just pull Evan out of school and move him away from his friends like that.” Adam snapped at us but I knew it was more directed towards me. “Do you even know if this is what Evan wants?”

“This isn’t any of your business Burish.” Brent growled at him in a low voice when he felt Evan move again.

“Burs.” We all heard and turned to see Patrick Sharp coming out of the locker room and he came to a stop when he took in the look on all of our faces. “What’s going on out here?”

“Your friend keeps sticking his nose in my damn business and it’s starting to piss me off.” Brent snapped at him as he glared at Adam.

“I’m your damn friend too.” Adam snapped at Brent. “I spent the last seven months doing all I can to make sure your boy was doing well and helping Angela out any way I can. I was doing that all for you, ask her how many times I tried convincing her to call you even if was just to at least let you know your kid was alive and well.”

“This is my damn family you’re trying to move in on!” Brent snapped at him and I got nervous with his anger and the fact that he had my son in his arms. I moved to take Evan away from him and this time Brent shifted his body away from me. “I’m not letting you take my son away from me again.”

“Your family, are you fucking kidding me?” Adam snapped at Brent with a raised eyebrow. “This isn’t your family… he’s your son, yeah I know that but Angela is nothing to you. She never was anything other than a couple of good fucks for you while we were in Minnesota.”

I was stunned by Adam words and Brent looked pissed off, I wasn’t the only one that noticed it either because Patrick Sharp quickly moved forward. “Let mini Seabs go.” Patrick said as he quickly took Evan out Brent’s arms and took a step back from him.

I was wishing Adam would just shut up but he didn’t and his next words shocked all of us. “I got to know the woman you never gave a chance and I fell in love with her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so happy with the reception this story is getting, Thank you so much for all the comments, I love reading them and I really do hope to keep getting them. Thank you to everyone that has recommended this story.