Status: It's back and new-ish

Eternal Life

Shadow of Town

I want to say, that I knew everything about my life. But that would be a lie. Especially when it comes to going back through the family and find out who was all in our family back from way back then. I've maybe gone back forty years or maybe more, but none of it is adding up and it's hurting my head.

A coffee is set down in front of me, at the coffee shop that I work at on weekends. "You know, if you keep making that face it'll freeze that way." my boss Tabby says.

Rubbing my face, I try to make the stress go away. "If my homework was easy right now, then I would be happier."

She looks over my shoulder at my computer. "It can't be that hard, didn't you grandma do this stuff a few years ago?"

"Yeah, I already got that, the problem is on dad side. Since he was adopted, his adopted parents really didn't have anything to go on about his family, because it was all closed up. Granda and Gram said I could put in their family stuff if I wanted to, but that is also hard, because no one has done family stuff for them,"

She huffs. "Weird," the doorbell from the door being open goes off. "Welcome, I'll be with you, in just a minute," she says with a big smile at the young man with dark blonde hair, then she looks down at me. "You want me to get you anything else, it won’t come out of your pay because you are working hard on your homework,"

I liked Tabby, she was a nice lady, she made me feel like her kid. Which was nice, because my mom was always off dating some loser, leaving my siblings and myself to ourselves. Course Cassidy and Ridder were already grown and have jobs. Cassidy is already married, as Ridder stays with me because mom is gone so much. Even though I am almost seventeen, he doesn’t like it when I am left alone. Course that might be the big brother and cop mixed into one in him. "Na, I think I'm going to quit and go check on Grandma, she said she had some stuff for me to do,"

She shakes her head. "Okay, at least finish your drink before you leave," she then walks away to help the guy that walked in, who glances at me and it's almost istent, my heart feels like it just got hit by something sharp. The pain is so bad, I grab hold of the table and try to calm myself, but it's almost pointless my body is shaking so bad that the coffee flies off the table.

"Kalley!" Tabby rushes over to me and pats me on the face, trying to make me focus on her face. "Kalley you have to breath or you are going to have another bad panic attack,"

To late, I want to say to her, but I can't. My voice is mute, as I watch the guy just stare at me, like he is trying to get through my head and dig until there is nothing left but ribbons of memories.

Another hand is places on my shoulder, this time it's my best friend Bree who glares at the guy. The guy looks at her, like she means nothing. But it only takes him to look away from me and to her, when I get control of myself again. Slumping my shoulders, I take steady breaths calming my racing heart. "You okay?" Bree asks, not looking away from the guy who grabs his stuff from someone behind the counter.

"Yeah," my voice is strained, like I had just been screaming, but I hadn't.

Tabby turns my face so I look at her in the eye. "Do you need to go to the Doctor? Do you want me to call your mom?"

What would be the point calling her, she was off in Texas god know with who. And as for the Doctor, "No, I'm fine now. Sorry to worry you Tabby," I give her my fake smile, that makes everyone think everything is okay. Because since dad died, that is all anyone has wanted to see from me, a fake smile so they wouldn’t have to deal with the panic attacks. Dad dealt with that, he went through them to, so he understood.

Tabby points a finger at me, giving me that sturn face that said, she wasn't buying it. "Now you lesson to me Kalley Eclipse, you do 'not' pull that fake smile with me! Now are you okay or not?"

Swallowing hard, I shake my head.

She stands up and looks at Bree and Bree looks back at her, as if none of this fazed her. Course why would it? We had been friends since we were in diapers. "I'll keep an eye on her, don't worry," Bree then looks down at me as Tabby gets back to work. "You ready to go?"

Putting everything away, I get up and shake my head.

As we head outside, the guy is there leaning against a dark blue Aprilia Mana 850 GT. His sunglasses in place, hiding his eyes. "Better watch your health Kalley," he tips his sunglasses and looks at me over them. "Wouldn't want a repeat of last time,"

Bree glares at the guy and puts her arm around my shoulder protectively. "Back off creep,"

He smiles at Bree, a smile that is not friendly, but rather evil and twisted. "For now I will," he finishes what he has, gets on his bikes,starts it up and drives off.

"What do you think that was all about?"

She shrugs her shoulders as we get to our cars. "He was a creep," her phone goes off. "I got to go, you still coming over tonight?"

I shake my head. "Yeah, Ridder has the night shift, so he won't notice,"

"Text him and let him know, I don't want him coming over and almost scaring my parents with a heart attacks in the middle of the night cause you aren't home,"

Rolling my eyes at her. "It was one time," she gives me a sharp glare. "Okay, twice. Don't worry I'll let him know," opening my car door I jump in the truck. "I'll see ya' later tonight."

^^^^^

Ten minutes later, I drive downtown to grandma house. For this part of the town, it's the nicest place there is or maybe it's grandma house that makes it so nice and welcoming. I'm careful to cross the train tracks, because my truck stalled here a few weeks ago. I freaked out thinking that a train might come out of nowhere, so I got out and pushed it, then soon as I was clear of the tracks, the truck started working again.

Getting out of the truck, I look up at the old Church that can been seen everywhere. It doesn’t matter where you are, you can see it. I have had dreams before, that something happened there, even before the Church was built. I even dream I am one of twelve Angles meant to protect the gateway to Heaven. But I give up my wings, to protect everyone from a great evil. Crazy I know, it's laugh able crazy.

The front door opens. "Kalley!"

Smiling up at the house, I wave my hand as I start walking up, leaving the over casted shadow Church as it has been for who knows how long. Empty and creepy. No one will take it down and I don’t think anyone themselves knows why. "Hi Grandma, what you got me to do today?"

She smiles at me as I walk through the front door. "Oh you will like this choir, there is a new boy down the street,"

"Grandma!" I whine.

She waves her hand at me and marches down the hallway past me. "Don't you 'grandma' me," she tells me.

Smiling after her, I follow her like I always have.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so what do you all think of the new version? It's different I know, but this way, I think it's less stiff.