Status: As it is written entirely in journal entries, there will not be the usual "character descriptions" that most stories rely on. So, I will be doing all that I can to draw you in with your imagination.

Millions of Pieces

It's So Unreal

October 4th, 2014
3:00 AM


Still going strong here…though barely…..I technically wrote yesterday….it’s weird to announce to myself in pen on paper format…but I met a guy today. I can’t believe it….I also can’t believe that I live in a tourist town which means that I shouldn’t even like this guy anyway, he’ll just be gone in a few days anyway, never to be seen again. He was just so interesting though. Come to think of it, I didn’t even get his name. He was here and then gone so quickly I can’t stop thinking about him.

I was just standing behind the desk, reading stories from my Edgar Allen Poe’s complete works book, when he showed up, as if from nowhere. I lock the doors to the outside of the hotel at night, so I know he didn’t manage to sneak in from off the street. He must have snuck down the stairs, because the usually creaky old wood, didn’t make a sound. He was just suddenly there before me. He must have known what I was reading as he told me he loved the poem, “Lenore”. He even quoted part of it to me…that threw me off.

Once he had started speaking to me, I was so startled I must have jumped three feet into the air. He laughed really lightly, in an oddly attractive way, and apologized for scaring me. Apparently, he just wanted an extra bar of soap…I gave him one, and let him know he could have called and I would have brought it to his room. Told me he would do so next time. He was just something else…if I lived anywhere else I would have thought his dress style was either hipster-douche, or possibly really neat (seriously, 16 year old me would be in love…now me still finds it attractive…) but this town is famous for the theater festival that goes on most of the year, he probably is just here for that and hadn’t dressed down for bed yet…really late though. That silky voice, and those brilliant eyes though…ugh….Stop it Kathleen, you do NOT need to obsess over this man! He will be gone from your life forever soon enough! The less you think about him, the easier it will be when you never see him again.

October 5th, 2014
2:00 PM


Day off finally! Yay! And I finally got the materials for that new Halloween costume in. I finally landed on Ginger Rogers from The Gay Divorcee. She had the most beautiful teal and black dress, I just had to have an excuse for. I tried shopping for a similar dress to just alter, but I didn’t see anything I liked online, so I decided to make it myself. I decided on buying the teal silk fabric and making the dress. The only way I can figure they got the black onto the fabric the way they did was by using ty-dying techniques, so I am going to make the dress, and then twist it from the knees down and dip it in black ink. I am hoping this will make it come out right. After it is dry and done I’ll add the fringe bits to the sleeves.

How pathetic am I though, that I should be enjoying my time off, and really be looking forward to making this dress….bleaching my hair and learning to style my hair just right, with less than a month to go….yet I can only think about that man from work yesterday. I didn’t even find out what room he was staying in, to see how long he might be in town for. And I am devastated about that. I can only hope that he is still there when I get back to work.

October 6th, 2014
5:00PM


FUCK! My hair is ruined! I tried going platinum by myself. Worst decision ever! You would think after all the time I have spent dying my own hair I would know this by now! I need to go get my hair fixed now…I just don’t think there is any hope. It is so fried…it feels like old gum in my hands. It is falling off…still attached to my scalp but breaking, really short too. Why did this have to happen! And I have work tomorrow! I managed to get a hair appointment tonight, but it isn’t until 9! I don’t even know how my hair will be saved….maybe they can give me a cute pixie? I wasn’t ready for that kind of change, but I had always wondered how it would look. I only hope I didn’t damage my hair for good….the directions did say not to use on your scalp….which I may have definitely ignored as I wanted all of my hair to be the same color……fuck me. And my Ginger Rogers costume! I guess I can always get a wig? That would save me needing to learn how to style the hair.

10:00 PM


Oh thank God! The stylist just came through in the best way. My hair is okay, and it is the platinum I wanted…she did have to cut a LOT off, but no pixie for me. I get to keep it as a sleek reverse A-line bob. I’m amazed at how good it actually looks. The folks at work will be surprised at my look change…I don’t think I have done anything this drastic in the 3 years I have worked here. The good news from today though, the dress is cut and just waiting to be sewn. So, I should have it ready in about a week, time permitting. And I get to go back to work tomorrow….I wonder if he is still staying with us.

October 7th, 2014
6:00 PM


Well, I asked my co-workers today if they remembered seeing a guy of my description check in or out…or even come in and out of the building….they had nothing. I suppose describing his clothing to them wasn’t the best idea, as that should have changed by now, but I was hoping someone as cute as he might have stood out to one of the girls I work with. Maybe he left out the back door of the hotel, rather than checking out normally though. I’m disappointed either way. On my lunch break at the moment, Gigi will be leaving in a couple of hours, then it is just me until the regular graveyard shift person comes in, maybe I will catch a glimpse of him.

11:00 PM


Ugh, James is such a douche bag. So is Mary for that matter. She told him about the guy I was asking about and he just had to tease me when he came in about it. I thought we were all adults here. No, maybe it wasn’t professional of me to have brought up having the hots for a guest of the hotel…but I’m human. James telling me this guy sounded like the ghost of a man who killed himself in the hotel back in the 1930's what really shitty though. Why couldn’t he just make fun of me like a normal person? Oh, that’s right, because he isn’t a normal person…that’s why he’s been working the graveyard shift for over 15 years!