The Fever Becomes My Home

Don't Let Me Be Gone

"Andy...?" Elizabeth knocked on the door frame after Ashley had left. Andy didn't answer, instead keeping his absent gaze on the dark grey bed sheets. "Ashley was very upset you didn't want to see him, y'know... He was looking forward to it." She slowly sat on the edge of the bed, smiling a little.

"I know." Andy whispered into his knees and looked to the side, away from Elizabeth.
"Why did you change your mind?" She sighed.
"He- He... I don't know." He buried his face into his knees, his arms hooked around both legs and hugging them closer.
"You don't know?" She frowned a little.
"I don't know!" He shrieked, throwing himself onto his side and pulling his blanket over his head.

Elizabeth frowned and moved to sit on the bed beside him, placing a gentle hand on his back. Andy tensed a little, but slowly relaxed, exhaling quietly. With each breath, his body grew more and more relaxed and he eventually uncurled, looking over the edge of the bed sheet at her.. It was a regular thing for him to shut Elizabeth out. Sometimes he would yell at her during one of his fits, or he would throw things... She said that it didn't bother her and that she understood, but Andy couldn't help but feel bad about it. Elizabeth took him in when he had nowhere else to go... and this was how he repaid her?

Andy opened his mouth to apologize, but her words quickly cut him off before he could make a sound.

"Sh... You need to get some rest." She smiled fondly and climbed off the bed. "Do you need anything before I go?"

Andy sat up and thought, shaking his head silently after a minute.

Elizabeth nodded and left the room.

"L-Liz?" Andy whimpered out the nickname he had for her when he was a kid and had trouble with her full name. Elizabeth turned and her eyes softened, showing with love and care, but also concern.
"Yes, sweetheart?" She smiled.
"I-I'm sorry." He quickly wiped a stray tear away, mentally cursing at himself for letting it fall.
"Oh... sh, don't say that... you have nothing to be sorry for." She rushed over, crouching by the bed.
"I made Ashley upset." He began to cry into his hands. "I- I wa- was scared."

Elizabeth hushed him and pulled him into her arms, letting the fragile boy sob into her chest and hug himself tightly to her. She rubbed his back, closing her eyes. "It's all okay, Andy... Everything is okay. I'd never let anything happen to you. Never."

"I know..." Andy whispered brokenly, opening his eyes. He looked up slowly, his eyes red and puffy. "Thank you..."

"For what?" She laughed quietly.

"For helping me..." He hugged her and rested his head on her shoulder. "You're the only one who cared..."

Elizabeth smiled warmly and gently kissed his forehead. "There's no need to thank me, Andy. Now go get some rest, ok?"

Andy nodded and gave her a tight hug again before climbing back under the bed sheets. Elizabeth went to the corner of the room and dimmed the lights for Andy to sleep, not fully due to his fear of being alone in the dark, and left the room, shutting the door.

Morning came, but Elizabeth didn't. Andy had been awake since six, waiting for Elizabeth to bring in his breakfast and medication at seven, like she did every single morning. When she didn't show up, Andy sprung instantly into a panic attack. Where was she!? Why wasn't she here!? Andy needed his medication! Was she tired of him? Did she abandon him like everyone else did? Andys hands tangled in his hair and tugged, screaming into his knees and rocking back and forth. He needed Elizabeth.

"Andy?" The voice at the door startled him, upsetting him more.

"Where is she?!" He screeched, curling up tighter.

"She's sick with the flu. Andy, you need to take your med-"

"I want Liz!"

"I know you do, but you have to take your pills before-"

"No!" He threw a pillow and looked up, seeing the voice belonged to a fairly new nurse. Her eyebrows furrowed in frustration and she marched over, taking his arm and pulling him out of the bed. "Let me g-go! Stop! Don't touch me!" Andy sobbed desperately, hitting her as she pulled him down the hall.

The nurse ignored him. Obviously she had no idea who he was or was never told anything about him. Every employee to work with him knew to never touch him. Ever. Patients stared in awe as he was dragged past the cafeteria, whispering to each other; probably about how the schizoid freak was finally out of his room and talking- even if it was screaming. No one bothered to stop and help, so Andy gave up and let himself be tugged down the hall in the grip of the frustrated nurse.

"Hey, Tori, what the hell do you think you're doing?" The sound of the familiar, smooth voice made Andy's head slowly lift to look. Ashley...? He sounded kind of angry, too.

"Ashley?" The nurse- Tori, apparently- stopped and looked at him, her face showing a bit of shock and embarrassment. "I'm taking him to the-"

"No." He cut her off. "Remember the boy I was telling you about in the break room yesterday afternoon?" Ashley asked tightly, pursing his lips. He never gave her a name, but regardless, what she was doing was extremely out of line.

"Of course I do!" She blushed a bit. This girl was obviously crushing on Ashley and trying to impress him... Andy would have rolled his eyes if he wasn't in the midst of a nervous breakdown and slumped on the floor where Tori released his arm. Ashley raised an eyebrow, arms folded and nodded towards the boy curled up on the floor. Tori's face paled. "Oh- Oh my god! This is him?!" She gasped and immediately turned to help him up.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." he said in annoyance and knelt to him. "Hey, Andy." Ashleys voice was softer now, calming. Andy hesitated to respond, taking fast paced and shallow breaths. "Batman... C'mon..."

Andy slowly lifted his head, eyes wide and innocent. Did he just call Andy batman? Ashley smiled fondly and brushed the hair out of Andy's face. He picked up Andy and carried him to his room, helping him take his pills and tucking him into the bed. After that, he took a seat in the chair by Andys bed, waiting for him to calm down enough to speak.
"Batman?" Andy finally said, peering at Ashley with a questioning look. Ashley smiled and nodded.
"Yeah. Batman. Cause... Well, y'know... You're a fighter and I admire that, like you admire Batman." He explained softly. "You're my little Batman."
Andy's face lit up, but he said nothing for a few minutes. He wasn't sure he had the words to explain how that felt... Someone admired him? He smiled weakly at him and nodded.
"You're a strong kid and you'll get through this... I know it." Ashley murmured and stood, leaving the room to go back to work.