Tales of Symphonia Story, Sylvarant Chronicles (1)

Tales of Symphonia Story 2

Quiz Start: "Are you all alright?" you ask them, walking up the steps to the chapel entrance.
"We're fine. We didn't get hurt that badly." Lloyd responded
"Still..." then you stopped, a chanting running through your head,
"Hey...you alright?" asked the brunette.
"I...think I just learned something..." you said
"Hm?" Kratos asked. You turn the handle of your sword into a staff,
"Please hold still." You start to say an incantation softly, a green circle appeared underneath your feet. "Nurse." you announce. Green light surrounded all of you, and any injuries that any of you had taken were healed, and vanished.
"Wow." Colette complimented, looking at where her hands had been bruised, but were healed now. "When did you learn that?"
"I don't think I did. It's...like I just forgot I knew it." you say.
"Well. Learned or remembered. I'm glad you now know it." Lloyd said
"...I agree." Kratos agreed "It's also good that you know such an advanced healing spell. It may be very helpful in the future." You nod in response. Before continue up the steps, after reaching the top, you turn your staff back into a sword, and sheath it.
"How can I ever thank all of you for saving the chosen?" asked Phaidra.
"...Hm?" asked Kratos. He looked at you, then asked "So this girl is the next chosen?"
"Wha-? No, no, no. Not me, her!" you say pointing to Colette.
"...Sorry." he grunted softly.
"No problem. It's not your fault, you didn't know." said Colette.
"...I suppose your right."

"Colette, don't you need to-" started Genis.
"That's right! I have to go except the oracle! Grandmother, I'm going to undergo the trial now."
"...?" you tilt your head to one side slightly. No one ever said anything about a trial.
"What trial?" asked Lloyd,
"Monsters I would assume." Kratos said, folding his arms over his chest, looking to the chapel, "An evil presence radiates from inside the chapel."
"Evil...?" you ask. "I thought this Chapel was a holy place..."
"It is." Kratos responded, looking back at you. Something in his eyes...something in his eyes almost looked like he was expecting you to know this already.
"Yes. The monsters are a Trial, the Chosen is to receive judgment from heaven." the woman explained "But the priests that were supposed to accompany her, fell at the hands of the Desians."
"Then I'll take on the job of guarding Colette!" Lloyd volunteered.
"Lloyd...? I would be uneasy with just you." Phaidra told him. Kratos looked to him, after hearing his name,
"Your name...is Lloyd?" he asked, slight interest in his voice.
"Yeah. But who are you to ask for my name?" the boy countered. Kratos didn't respond, then he looked to you.
"..." he was quiet, he asked, "...And yours...is Aura?" you nod.
"Yes. Aura Asakura."
"..." he continued to look at you for a few seconds, looking directly into your eyes, before he turned back to Phaidra. Then you decide,
"Phaidra, I'll go with Colette." you volunteer, "I can help her. I know I can. Whether it be fighting or healing... And...I don't know why but this place feels familiar to me."
"I suppose. But you will need help. Even if you are a fairly experienced fighter, you're still young." Phaidra said *Oh...she's got a point.* you thought, flinching slightly.
"Yeah...you've got a point." you agree reluctantly, also remembering how you had almost been kidnapped earlier,
"Sir. I thank you for your help earlier. But I must ask, who are you?" Phaidra asked, speaking to Kratos.
"My name is Kratos Aurion." he introduced. *...Kratos...Aurion....* you thought, that name sounded so familiar to you... "I'm a Mercenary," he continued, "And, as long as you can pay me, I'll accept the job of guarding the Chosen."
"Mercenary...?" you murmur to yourself. It...didn't sound right. It didn't sound like he was supposed to be a...Mercenary.
"Under the circumstances, I have little choice. Please be of service. Aura, if it is no trouble, your help would be appreciated too. Will you?"
"Of course!" you tell her, it was an obvious answer.
"Kratos, is Aura's assistance all right with you?" the Mercenary nodded.
"...Yes." Kratos said, then he turned to the both of you "Chosen One. Aura. Let's go. The sooner we get through, the better."
"Yeah." Colette agreed
"Ok." you add. But just as you start to leave...

"Wait I'm coming to!" Lloyd insisted, determined to help Colette.
"No, you'll only get in the way. Be a good boy, and go home." Kratos told him, folding his arms over his chest.
"Fine, then I'll just follow you on my own!" Lloyd shot back smartly. He smirked triumphantly at the Mercenary,
"You really are stubborn aren't you? Fine. Do what you wish." Kratos agreed, not caring about the boy. His arms returned to his side, his left hand sitting on the hilt of the sword, almost like he was ready to draw his sword at any time.
"I'll do just that! Come on Genis!" Lloyd said, motioning for Genis to follow him.
"...I had a feeling you would say that." Genis groaned, shaking his head.

You, Kratos and Colette start to walk into the chapel,
"This isn't a field trip you know." Kratos said over his shoulder, you glance at Kratos from the corner of your eye as you walked into the building. *Why did my head start to hurt after I saw him...?* you think, looking back to the pathway in front of you, and walking down the stairs. After stopping in the central chamber, you all start to look around. A tinge of pain shot through your head briefly, and you saw down the right most hallway, there was a flight of stairs, and down those was a room, you had a feeling that's where you needed to go *Hm...* you hear Kratos ask,
"Lloyd. Are your sword techniques self taught?"
"Yeah why?" Kratos walked over to him and gave him a book titled 'Training Manuel'.
"If you're going to use a sword, you should at least learn the basics." he said flatly, "You want to protect the Chosen, don't you?" then he walked off.
"Grrr... acting like he knows so much." Lloyd muttered. Then Kratos turned to you,
"And what of you, Aura?" he asked "You use a," he paused for a split second, "Double-edged sword as well. Similar to my own?"
"Oh, n-no," you respond, "I use a 'Naginata'....I-I'll show you later."
"Hm," he agreed softly, nodding "But, still, it wouldn't hurt for you to look through that book as well."
"...Ok." you agree. Unlike Lloyd, you have no problem with people telling you to improve...well, as long as they told you politely.
"Which way should we go?" asked Colette. Lloyd looked around at the different ways to go,
"Hmm……" he mumbled, thinking.
"Um--" you voice, looking to the right entrance, "...It's...this way.
"...I don't mean to be rude." Kratos told you, "But how do you know that?"
"..." you don't answer for a second,
"The temple is closed to all civilians." Colette said, "How would you have...?"
"I-I didn't break in...!!" you insist, "I...I don't know why I--...this place--...I just think I've been here before." you say.
"Well it couldn't hurt to try, let's go!!" Lloyd agreed.

After following the hallway, you walk down the stairwell, you notice something floating over to the far right.
"Hey look." you say, pointing towards what you saw,
"Is that the 'Sorceress Ring?'" asks Genis. It was a ring floating in midair above a pedestal. *Sorcerers ring... chosen... oracle... hm... I've heard these before now* You were deep in your own thoughts, when Colette (being the smart person that she is) walked over to a monster.
"It looks like something is already here."
"Look out!" exclaimed Kratos, dashing over to her.

You guys quickly rush to her rescue. The battle was surprisingly easy, though. The monster is a rock golem, however, it was slow and you dodged its attacks easily. After the battle it turned into a large stone box.
"It turned into a rock" Colette announced
"Well...it was sort of a rock to begin with..." said Lloyd.
"So...what should we do with it?" you asked. Kratos examined the stone seriously, trying to come up with something to do with it; you all started thinking. Colette walked up to it, but tripped, pushing it down a hole. You all get an anime sweat drop, until it lands, completing a path beneath the platform you were all standing on. You, Kratos, and Genis get a light bulb.
"Oh...I understand now..." you say,
"...I see." Kratos mumbled, nodding slightly,
"I get it." Genis agreed. Both Colette and Lloyd get '?'marks. Not understanding it yet.
"What are you all talking about?" asks Lloyd.
"In just a minute there should be.....look there." Genis said, looking across the platform. Another one of the golems materialized.
"...Woah...there's another one." said Lloyd.
"Now let's defeat it and drop it down below too!" Lloyd and Colette get '?'marks again.

After defeating two more golems, they turned into blocks, and dropped below, completing a path to where the sorcerers ring is. You all go down the stairs and follow the path. After walking up more stairs, you arrive at the landing where the pedestal holding the Sorcerers Ring is.
"So, this is the Sorcerers ring." Genis commented
"I wanna try it!" says Lloyd.
"Okay Lloyd." Colette agreed, with her carefree smile.
"You're such a little kid." Genis commented,
"Yes he is..." you murmur in agreement, shaking your head.
"Hey!" when the ring glowed white "!" A beam shot from the light, to the middle finger of your right hand, the same for everyone else. The light circled your finger, then it vanished. A small ring was left in its place. It was a plain enough metal band, with a flat, red stone mounted on top. A flame shape was engraved in the stone.
"It appears we each have received a Sorcerers Ring..." Kratos voiced. Then you all leave the platform.

"I'm taking this off." you say, once you all walked down the stairs.
"What? Why?" asked Lloyd,
"Heh. I'm kinda...forgetful when it comes to small things like this." you explain "I don't want to just walk out of the temple with this on. I'd be stealing it."
"Oh. Okay, we can just use ours then." Colette said. You try to pull off the ring while you're walking, but it won't budge,
"Huh? What the?" you try again, pulling harder, the ring still didn't move.
"What is it?" asked Genis,
"It's this ring!!" you say, still trying to pull it off your finger "I can't get it off! It won't budge!" you try twisting the ring, but still, "I can't even twist it!" everyone looked at the rings on their hands. Kratos gave his an experimental twist, but his wouldn't budge either,
"Hm..." he mumbled, not pleased that he was stuck with the ring. Everyone tried pulling theirs off, but they had the same problem. Lloyd glared at the ring on his finger, giving himself an unfriendly hand gesture in the process.
"Stupid little..." Lloyd muttered,
"It appears we don't have a choice about leaving these here." the Mercenary said. "...We have to keep them."

While walking, you trip over a loose stone in the pathway, and fall over the edge of the platform. These paths were so narrow, it's easy to fall anyway unless you pay attention to where you're going,
"W-woah!!" you yelped. *Man...* when something firmly clasped around your wrist, you hold onto whatever caught you. You look back up, it was Kratos; he caught your wrist with one hand. Everyone quickly turned back, realizing that you had fallen. *He's quick...* you think.
"Aura!" exclaimed Colette. Kratos helped you pull yourself back onto the narrow pathway. You catch your breath, your heart-rate had sky-rocketed,
"Th-thanks, Kratos." you say, he rested a hand on your shoulder until you regained your sense of balance again.
"..." he didn't respond for a second. "...You need to be more careful, Aura." he told you finally. Although his tone was... Gentle... Like he was trying to put 'you need to be more careful' as kindly as he could,
"Y-yeah. I know." you say. Then you all continue to walk.
"Are you ok?" asked Lloyd.
"Don't worry, don't worry." you assure. "I'm fine. Sorry for makin' ya worry."
"No! Don't start sounding like Colette!!" Genis exclaimed. You got a sweat drop
"Hehehe...ops..." While you walk...you felt...eyes on you. You look over your shoulder, Kratos was watching you while you walked. But...his expression... Looked so different. There was...something in his eyes. But it made you feel so...weird...
"..." he didn't really seem to notice that you were looking at him.
"U-um...Kratos?" you asked,
"Hm...?" he mumbled,
"Could... Could you please...not look at me like that...?" you whisper.
"! Oh...yes...I'm sorry." he apologized. "I...didn't mean to."
"..."

KRATOS' POV: You watched Aura while you all walked. It was pure reflexes that made you grab her wrist so quickly when she fell. *...* She was trying to tell the others that she was fine .
"Are you ok?" asked Lloyd
"Don't worry, don't worry." Aura told them, calmly "I'm fine. Sorry for makin' ya worry."
"No!" Genis exclaimed. "Don't start sounding like Colette!!" Aura got a sweat drop,
"Hehehe...ops..." your expression softened to a slight smile... *...Typical, Aura...* you think. *Not wanting others to worry about you...* against your better judgment, you allow yourself to continue to watch her while she walked. After a little while, she looked back at you over her shoulder, but you don't really notice. *...She was gone for so long...*
"U-um...Kratos?" she asked.
"Hm...?" you mumble, telling her you were listening.
"Could...Could you please...not look at me like that...?" she whispered
"!" *What was I doing?!* you berate yourself, again, for staring at Aura for so long "Oh...yes...I'm sorry." you apologize "I...didn't mean to."
"..." she turned back to facing forward, and jogged to catch up to Colette. She started speaking to the Chosen. You speed your pace slightly, to keep up with the others. *...Aura...* you thought.

(back to you) You all head back up through the hallway, back to where you had come in before,
"That way." you say, pointing to the center entrance.
"Well, you were right before. You probably are now." Lloyd said. You go up the center path, and wind up at a door, but a glowing blue seal on it prevented you from entering.
"...It's sealed." Kratos announced.
"The sorcerers ring should open it." said Colette.
"Right, leave it to me." said Lloyd. He shot the small circle that was sealing the door; he wall from the seal dissolved and the door opened "...All it does is shoot fire?" asks Lloyd. You could tell he was bored.
"You get bored so easily." said Genis.

After making it to the altar, Lloyd asked if the small glowing red stone on the altar was the Cruxis Crystal, which the Chosen confirmed,
"That's right. They say I was born with that in my hand." she said, *Hm...the rumors that spread around Sylvarant...* Kratos thought, folding his arms over his chest. The light grew brighter,
"Look at that light...!" Genis commented. *......* he'd seen this whole ritual before...this wasn't interesting,
"Now what...?" asked Aura,
"Uh....the Oracle should come." Colette said. He looked at Aura out of the corner of his eye; she wouldn't be nearly as interested in this if she remembered...He turned his eyes to the altar before she caught him staring at her again. A golden orb floated down from the ceiling, hovering over the altar, before turning into an angel...
"...hm...?" he muttered inaudibly. The angel hovering before the small group was different than who the Mercenary had expected,
"Wh...what is that?" asked Lloyd,
"An Angel, I would assume." Kratos put in plainly, then ignored the rest of the happenings to concentrate on his own thoughts. He proceeded to wonder why Remial was here. *....I thought that Yuan was to be the Oracle this time around.....* he commented mentally, *I suppose he disappeared again....* Yuan had been doing that a lot lately, just vanishing for varying expanses of time, then just returning as though nothing had happened. Kratos was beginning to grow curious about Yuan was disappearing too, but knew that attempting to find out would only make Yuan begin avoiding him; thus making finding out where he was going even harder.
Kratos only snapped back to awareness when he noticed Remial revert to an orb of light, and disappear through the ceiling of the church. He turned towards Aura; although it wasn't typically like him to thank someone...well...He could make an exception,
"...Aura," he asked,
"Mm?" she asked, turning back to him, "Yes...?"
"......." he sighed quietly "...Thank you, for your assistance." she smiled a little
"O-oh--you're welcome." she responded. Not wanting another awkward moment like the one down in the temples basement, he quickly turned towards the Chosen before he'd looked at Aura for too long.
"You've received the oracle. Then let us leave now, Chosen." Kratos suggested calmly.
"...Oh, yes." she agreed,
"We're going on ahead." he announced; he turned and left, Colette following after him.

Kratos and Colette left.
"Hey, he didn't thank us…" Lloyd mumbled,
"He didn't want Us coming, remember?" Genis asked, "Aura's the only one Phaidra asked to help out."
"Hey," you tell Lloyd and Genis "I'm going now too, I'll meet you back beside the Schoolhouse. Ok?"
"Sure, ok." Genis agreed,
"Yeah, we'll meet up with you there." Lloyd agreed.
"B-but," Genis warned "If you see my sister...it probably wouldn't hurt to...y'know... steer clear. She...gets a little....weird about some things."
"Okay," you agree, "Thanks for the heads up, Genis." You head down the teleporter, then walk out of the temple. But you stop at the top of the stairs, seeing Raine walking up,
"!" *This won't be good--!* you think worriedly, remembering that the Professor had told you not to leave the classroom as well as what Genis had just warned. After seeing what she did to Lloyd when he fell asleep you didn't want to see what she would do to you. You quickly dive behind the small shed that was next to the temple, and crouch down to hide. You hear Professor Raine stop in front of the temple,
"Hmm....Kratos and Colette said that Aura had come with them." she commented aloud, "I thought I saw her up here…Oh well..." you peek silently around the edge of the shed, to see Professor Raine walk into the temple. You sigh gratefully,
"Phew......" once you were sure she wasn't going to come out for a while, you walk down all of the flights of stairs that had been previously climbed to get to the temple,
"MUWAHAHAHAHAH!" a loud, evil laugh resonated from inside the temple,
"!" your heart practically jumped out of your chest upon hearing that laughter, as you walked you looked nervously over your shoulder at the temple. When it occurred to you, *Uh-oh.......Lloyd and Genis are...?* you think nervously, *Sorry guys...* you think, picking up your pace to jog all the way back to the schoolhouse.

After getting back to Iselia, you sit down outside the schoolhouse and wait. After about 10 more minutes, Lloyd and Genis come into the village,
"Oh, Aura...!" Genis said "You're ok?"
"Yeah," you assure
"Guess Raine didn't catch you then, huh?" Lloyd asked. You give them both a nervous smile,
"Heh....I hid behind the shed outside the temple when Raine came up the stairs...she didn't know I was there..." Lloyd and Genis laughed good naturedly.
"Heh, good," Genis told you "If she had found you, you woulda been in big trouble."

SKIPPING

You agree to go with Lloyd and Genis outside the village to meet Genis' friend,
"Hey Genis, where are you going to anyway?" you ask after leaving the gate to the village,
"Well...the human ranch..." he admitted quietly. Both you and Lloyd stare at him in disbelief.
"What?! Why are you going there?" Lloyd demanded.
"There is someone I need to tell about the oracle." the elf pleaded "Please. I want you both to meet them." you and Lloyd look at each other.
"Alright...I'm in..." said Lloyd
"As long as we don't get caught." you agree kindly.

You all arrive at the human ranch and go over to the left hand side.
"Marble." Genis called. You see a kind looking old woman with grey hair walk to the wall. He handed her some food, which she took gratefully.
"Genis. Are those your friends?" she asked kindly, beginning to eat what he brought for her.
"Hi, I'm Lloyd." the boy introduced.
"And I'm Aura." you agree.
"I'm pleased to meet the both of you." she told you. She was like a kind Grandmother or something...
"Hey grams-" starts Lloyd, noticing something on her hand,
"Her names Marble." corrected Genis,
"Marble. Isn't that an Exsphere?" You look at her hand; she had a sphere shaped thing like you and Lloyd.
"Oh, is that what this is called. They placed it on me shortly after I came here."
"Yeah that's an Exsphere. But, Lloyd, I don't think there's a key-crest on it." you say, kneeling down to get a better look. "......Nope. There isn't a keycrest." you say, standing up. "That's bad."
"What? How is it bad?" asked Genis,
"Attaching an exsphere directly on to your skin supposedly makes you sick." says Lloyd. Then you come in,
"But unless you put it right on the skin, it's useless."
"Right," Lloyd complimented, before finishing "So you carve a spell into of a special ore, and that acts as the mount. That's the keycrest"
"But unfortunately...Marbles exsphere doesn't have a key-crest." you voice, looking back down at her hand.
"Will she be alright? Please Lloyd help her!" Genis pleaded,
"It's not as easy as you think Genis." you say looking at him "Key-crests are dwarven technology."
"Lloyd. Your dads a dwarf!" Genis argued, turning to the boy. "Please."
"...Fine, fine. I'll ask him."
"Alright, that's why I like you Lloyd." says Genis told him happily.
"Please, don't trouble yourself." Marble assured,
"Hey old hag! What the hell you doin' over there!?" yelled a Desian
"Oh no. The Desians. Quickly hide." urged Marble, quickly stuffing the rest of the food into a secret pocket in her cloths,
"...Ok, I'm sorry." You all hide behind a bush. 3 Desians come and take Marble to the back.
"We have to see what's goin on!" you say, they both agree.

You all jog over to one side and hop up a series of rocks to a cliff overlooking the ranch. You see the 3 Desians whipping Marble.
"We have to save her!" Lloyd exclaimed,
"I got it. Genis and I attack the Desians from here with magic. Then Lloyd and I act as decoys." you suggest.
"I get it. Then Genis hides among the bushes and heads back to the village. While you and me run down the cliff." Lloyd agreed,
"I can't run in the opposite way from the village, but I can go through the trees where they can't see me. Agreed?"
"Agreed. But you should both heal yourselves before you do this. Here have some cookies." 'fully healed' the elf stood, and cast a spell with his Kendam. "Fireball!!" Genis exclaimed, 3 orbs of fire fly into the ranch. Then you cast fireball right after, 3 more orbs fly into the ranch. It looked like two people cast the spells.
"What the hell!?" yelled a Desian. You and Lloyd start jumping around on the top of the compound, heading for the entrance.
"There they go!" two Desians ran to the entrance of the ranch, the other Desian was collapsed on the ground, not able to withstand two direct hits from a fireball attack. You and Lloyd land in front of the gate and start running toward the cliff, with two Desians chasing you; neither of them saw your face. Genis is walking in the bushes when he tripped.
"Ow..." he groaned.
"What was that?" asks 1 of the Desians, they both stop and turn towards the bushes.
"Uh-oh." you and Lloyd quickly stop, looking at each other worriedly.
"Hey!" you exclaim "Over here!"
"Yeah! Come on!" Lloyd taunted.
"Why you little...!!" they both ran after you, forgetting about the noise that had come from the bushes. You both win the fight with relative ease, but then you hear more coming. You and Lloyd tensed at the sound, knowing that you couldn't beat all of them; and if you stayed more would see your faces. After turning, you both ran as fast as you could to the edge of the cliff; you disregarded your fear of heights for the time being, and leapt off the cliff with Lloyd.