Tales of Symphonia Story, Sylvarant Chronicles (1)

Tales of Symphonia Story 35

QUIZ START: Once morning arrived you all began to move once again. At night, only to avoid confrontation with monsters, you slept in the city of Luin; you took residence in the destroyed Inn, as that building still had four walls and a partial ceiling. The haunting memories made the stay uncomfortable, but it was just for one night. The next day you continued to the ranch. After waiting for a break in the guard you explored for 'unnatural' thing that you'd seen before.
"Ah," you say, noticing it. A large bolder set in front of a vent, "This is it. This is the thing I thought looked unnatural."
"Yes. It does seem alittle...out of place." Kratos agreed.
"Right lets move it." Lloyd tried are push it out of the way, but found that he couldn't make it budge even an inch, "Gah... This thing is heavy."
"Let's try using the orb." Raine suggested. She held up the orb to the rock, and with a jolt it moved all by itself, "See?"
"But...how did--I was-" started Lloyd,
"Lets go!" Genis interrupted,
"Um...yeah...sure." After finding your way through the vent you wind up in the same control room that you had broken your way into before.

After some talking plan-deciding it was decided upon that splitting up would make traveling through the ranch and reaching Kvar's office easiest. One group would go to Kvar, the other would shut down the Security Systems. Lloyd heads one group, and he chose to take you, Kratos, and Sheena with him. He was the one whom was set on finding Kvar quickly and killing him.

It was a difficult treck up to Kvar's office. You'd hoped for the element of surprise. However, Kvar was already there; he was speaking to some woman on a projector. The camera switches to Lloyd's group who takes the teleporter to Kvar's room.
In Kvar's room, Kvar is speaking with a woman in a projector communicator.
"I've found you, Kvar!" Lloyd growled as you all approached him. The woman looked over Lloyd with a board expression,
"So, this is Lloyd." she commented, then added, "I see, he does bear a resemblance. To both of them." Lloyd paused for a moment, puzzled, "Ah..." she looked at you, "Yes...no question about it, that is indeed Aura."
"So, you've come." Kvar turned back to the projector, "I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't change the subject, Pronyma! It's clear you've been stealing research data from my Angelus Project."
"I grow tired of you accusations, Kvar." the woman, Pronyma, retorted. *Pronyma...* you think, *Pronyma is...is the leader of the Grand Cardinals...I know her from somewhere...* "As I have told you, I know nothing of it."
"...Stubborn woman." the half-elf spat, "I suppose I should expect no less from one who usurped the leadership of the Five Grand Cardinals. Take heed, Pronyma. Once I retrieve the Exsphere from this inferior being and capture Aura, I will become the leader of the Five Grand Cardinals. When that happens, you'll be begging for my forgiveness.
"You speak nonsense, Kvar." Pronyma responded simply, "I've also heard that Rodyle has talked you into joining him in one of his schemes." she chuckled darkly, "But it would be best not to believe that you can deceive Lord Yggdrasill for long." you stiffened, an odd sense of fear shooting through you upon hearing that name,
"Y...Ygg...drasill..." you whisper to yourself, searching for why you knew the name, "Yggdrasill..." however, you came up with no explanation. The contact ended, and the projection of Pronyma vanished.

"So the Mana Cannon is no longer a secret." Kvar commented, "Well, it doesn't matter." he turned and faced you, "Once I succeed in retrieving both that Exsphere and Aura, any suspicions I might have been under will be but a distant memory."
"Get ready..." Kratos mumbled a warning, drawing his sword.
"You're not gonna take this from me!" Lloyd told him,
"And you're not taking me, either." you agree. However Kvar took another moment to taunt you,
"Oh Aura...." he smirked, "There is something I've been meaning to ask you."
"..." you merely glare at him, tightening your grip on the staff of your Naginata,
"Do you still have that scar on the back of your left shoulder?" *How could he know about my scar...!?* you think, stiffening, "Ah...You do still have it, don't you?" he laughed menacingly, "When Lord Yggdrasill gave you that scar, he intended for it to stay there.... To remind you who you belong to."
"Silence." Kratos growled, raising his sword,
"Oh. Mad now, are you?" You grit your teeth, glaring at him.

Despite the four-on-one fighting, the battle against the Grand Cardinal didn't go easily. Kvar was incredibly strong. However, in the end, he finally fell.
"...I did it, Mom. You've been avenged!" Lloyd mumbled. Raine and the others appeared in the teleporter that you had recently used. As they approached you, Raine informed you,
"We've learned of Chocolat's location."
"Ch-Chocolat...?!" you ask hopefully,
"Really?!" Lloyd agreed. With a start, Colette noticed something behind Lloyd,
"Look out!" Colette cried, running towards him. Kratos turned first, then you. Kvar was behind Lloyd, staff raised to strike him. Just as Lloyd turned back he swung down, leaving the brunette no time to guard,
"Lloyd-!" you start. Colette stood in the way, and was struck in the back; tearing open a large wound,
"Colette?!" Lloyd gasped. As she fell, Lloyd caught her,
"Lloyd..." she asked quietly, "Are you okay?"
"Yeah. But you're..." he murmured,
"I'm fine, really." she promised.

Kvar had begun to hobble away, using her smoke-teleportation Sheena appeared in his way.
"...You bastard!" Lloyd cursed. You struck him across the back, and Lloyd ran him through with one sword. Kratos did the same.
"Kratos...you pathetic...inferior being!" Kvar cursed as Kratos withdrew his blade.
"Feel the pain..." the Mercenary struck him, "...of those inferior beings..." he struck him again. Kvar collapsed to the ground, "...as you burn in hell!" he sheathed his sword, seeming to have calmed slightly.

Colette had collapsed to the ground, clutching her wound best she could,
"Colette! That wound..." Raine murmured,
"Colette, hang on!" Genis urged,
"Colette! Your wound..." Lloyd asked weakly,
"Thanks for worrying about me, but I'm really okay." she gave a weak smile, "For some reason, it doesn't hurt. Hehe, strange, huh?"
"You certainly are not okay! Raine, Aura, you both can use healing arts, right?!" Sheena asked,
"Y-yes--but...but..." you stutter,
"Yes, but!..." Raine agreed,
"Colette. I can't keep it a secret any longer!" Lloyd stood from where he had kneeled next to her, "Everyone, listen to what I have to say!" he took a deep breath, and said, "Colette can no longer feel anything."
"What?" Genis asked, "What do you mean?" *Feel...she can't feel...?* you think, the symptom almost sounding familiar,
"Colette is growing closer to becoming an angel." Lloyd explained, "Now, she can't sleep or feel hot or cold or pain or anything. She can't even cry! Becoming an angel means losing her humanity!"
"Loosing...Loosing her humanity..." you whisper to yourself, "Angels...are they really not human....?"
"Lloyd, it's okay." Colette assured weakly, "I'm okay, so...Right now, we need to do something about this ranch. Right, Lloyd?"
"Professor," Lloyd turned away from Colette reluctantly, "Can you destroy it like last time?"
"I'll give it a try." she mumbled, turning towards the computer mainframe,
"...That's kind of extreme, but I supposed it is the best idea." Sheena agreed. Raine activated the self-destruct sequence quickly. You all fled the ranch, and got a safe distance away by the time the ranch exploded.