Tales of Symphonia Story, Sylvarant Chronicles (1)

Tales of Symphonia Story 42

QUIZ START: After dinner you tilt your head back and look up at the sky. You look up at the sky, and see the first few stars beginning to show up.
"Hey Aura." said someone as they sat down next to you.
"Hi Sheena." you respond. "What is it?"
"So...how did it go with Kratos?" she asked with a small smirk,
"F-fine. All we did was talk." you respond. Sheena nudged you with her elbow with a sly smirk on her lips,
"Is that All?"
"Yes, we talked. That's all!" you tell her, blushing.
"Alright, alright." she agreed.
"Hey," you ask, "Aren't you supposed to be helping start the fire?"
"Feh," she responded simply, "I'm gonna let Lloyd do it." however she stopped when you heard him,
"Ow!! Ah--stupid fire!
"He burned himself again didn't he?" you ask with a small sigh.
"...Probably." Sheena responded, looking over her shoulder towards the camp.
"Should we help?"
"...eh...Sure." you both walk over to the almost fire to see Lloyd sucking his burned thumb.
"Want some help Lloyd?" you ask.
"Sure..." he muttered around his thumb. You help Sheena, and get a fire started.
"Maybe we should leave the fire-starting to Sheena and Aura from now on." Kratos taunted.
"Oh shut up." Lloyd muttered.

Later that night, Genis made dinner and it was pretty good too
"Your a pretty good cook Genis." you tell him while helping him clean the dishes.
"Heh, thanks." Later...You occupied yourself by looking at the stars again. Genis was trying to explain some math equations to Lloyd. However it wasn't going to well. *Why does he bother?* you think. Soon everyone goes to sleep. Even Kratos, because Colette decided he needed to sleep and told him tha you didn't need a night watch. And, well, the Chosen says it, he does it. Actually...it was also seeming like...if you asked him to do something, he would do it as well...

By the next night everyone was exhausted. You've been in battle after battle all day; so many actually that you've hardly moved at all. You and Raine have been casting a lot of healing spells, and are tired from that. It was a relief when you stopped for the night. Everyone was getting ready to go to sleep. When you see something golden streak across the sky.
"Hey, look. A shooting star!" you say, pointing up. You couldn't show very much enthusiasm, you were using all your energy just to stay awake. Every one else looked up as well to watch the golden ball streaking across the sky.
"Wow!" Lloyd said, watching it continue to streak across the sky "Not often you see one of those, huh?"
"Yes...not a common occurrence..." Kratos agreed, as he, to, watched the star,
"Oh, oh!! Make a wish!" Colette exclaimed. Even though its kinda immature, you make a wish anyway *I wish I could get my memories back* Then everyone, except Kratos because he's the night watch, goes to sleep without question.

Everyone is asleep except for Kratos. He is the first shift of the night watch again, like he had volunteered for. Noishe was lying next to him. The dog raised his head, looking at everyone ruefully, before looking back at Kratos. Noishe whined quietly, like he was saying 'They're all so tired...'

Kratos put a hand under the dogs chin, and scratched his forehead. Noishe wagged his big tail once, before pulling his head away, and resting it on the ground again. Although he still looked at everyone who was sleeping. The Mercenary looked back at everyone else as well.
"...I'm glad their all getting sleep." he muttered. Both to the dog and to himself. "We've been in battle after battle all day...They aren't used to this kind of fighting... And Raine and Aura have used most of their mana on healing..." *They need the most rest...* Everyone was wrapped up in a blanket, and fast asleep. Raine was resting her back against a tree stump, and Genis was sleeping at one end. Colette was on the other side of the stump. Aura was lying on the ground, slightly closer to the fire so the Professor had a comfortable amount of room to sleep; she had tied her hair back, so it wouldn't get messy or tangled while she slept. The Professor let her use the copy of 'Ruins, Ruins, Wonderful Ruins. Vol III' as a pillow, it was a huge book, at least 2500 pages. *How can Raine carry that book?* he thought. The Mercenary was watching Auras sleeping face. She was so peaceful when she was sleeping...he sighed, *What am I doing?*

Kratos looked at the sky clear night sky
"Look at the sky Noishe...its so clear." he said, watching all the stars "I haven't been able to see the stars this well in a long time..." Noishe whined a little, Kratos hissed at the dog "I am not reminiscing! Quiet!"
"Hey." Lloyd said, walking over to the man. Kratos was startled momentarily, he thought hew as the only one up. The boy had two mugs in his hands "I thought you said you didn't like animals."
"What did I tell you about coming up behind me?" asked Kratos seriously.
"Yeah, yeah, sorry." the boy muttered, and sat down next to the Mercenary. "Noishe has really warmed up to you, Kratos. Normally he's afraid of weird people. He's warmed up to Aura too; but she's not as weird as you."
"Gee. Thanks." Kratos muttered. Lloyd held out one of the mugs full of dark steaming liquid.
"Since you have the first shift, I figured you could use some coffee." Kratos took the mug from the boy. The gentle heat radiating from the glass felt good in his hands.
"Thats uncharacteristically thoughtful of you Lloyd..." he thanked.
"Yup. Coffee keeps the old farts awake!" Lloyd said, giving Kratos a stupid smile. *Rotten little...* thought the Mercenary, taking a sip of the hot coffee.
"You're just full of complements aren't you?" he asked, lowering the cup just slightly. "Why are you up? Your shift isn't for two more hours. Stay up now and you'll fall asleep during your shift."
"That isn't funny." the boy told him, "And besides, I can't sleep."
"...If you can't sleep, you should count the stars." the Mercenary told him, "Although a human life is far too short to count them all..."
"Neat idea...I guess..." Lloyd mumbled, and looked up. The Mercenary watched as the brunette-haired boy started to subconsciously count the number of bright white orbs in dark the sky above them.

"Hm..." Kratos mumbled, closing his eyes. He was satisfied that a task like counting the stars would be sufficient to keep Lloyd entertained for a while. He took another sip of his coffee. When Lloyd began to hum a tune...a tune that the man was all too familiar with.

The Mercenary faltered suddenly, and almost spilled some coffee on himself. He recognized that tune, it was the Lullaby Aura used to sing.
"Hey Kratos, you ok?" asked Lloyd, noticing Kratos' sudden falter.
"I'm fine." he responded concisely, not succeeding in actually spilling coffee on himself. Then he asked "What are you humming?"
"I dunno." the boy responded, looking back at the sky "Aura was humming it a few days ago. It sounded familiar, now I got it stuck in my head. Why?"
"I-- hm..." Kratos muttered, looking down at his cup. He couldn't help thinking about when Aura used to sing that lullaby. He loved to hear her sing, she knew a lot of beautiful songs; but her singing also reminded him...of a time a while ago *Damn them... Damn these stars!* he thought, looking at the reflection of his face in his coffee *Its...its just like that night...Aura...*
"Hello? Sylvarant to Kratos. You in there?" the Mercenary snapped back to reality.
"What?" he asked, whipping his head back to look at Lloyd.
"You zoned out on me. You ok?"
"Fine, I'm fine. Just... getting tired. Thats all." the Mercenary responded, setting the half-empty cup of coffee down next to him, and rubbing one eye with the back of his hand. Noishe sniffed the cup, then turned his head away disapprovingly, not liking the smell of this new liquid.
"You really confuse me-- Hey! Look!!" Lloyd pointed at the sky as another ball of light streaked across it "Wow! Another shooting star! Thats 2 in one night!!"
"..." Kratos watched it till it disappeared *Dammit...it really is just like that night...* "...Yes. We're pretty lucky...I guess." he sighed, and looked back at the ground; he thought he could feel tears welling in his eyes. Quickly, the Mercenary rubbed his eyes with his hands again to ward off any tears. None were there; he had just imagined it.

"You sure your ok?" asked Lloyd
"I told you. I'm just tired." Kratos responded, almost annoyed.
"How about you go to sleep, then?" Lloyd suggested. "I'll take the watch." Kratos looked at him for a second.
"...Alright."
"Okay. I'll gonna clean up." Lloyd had finished his coffee, he picked up Kratos' cup then went off to clean them out. Kratos leaned back against Noishe. He looked at Aura for a little while. Her lullaby ran through his head (You'll be in my heart from Tarzan)
*Come stop your crying. It'll be alright...
Just take my hand. Hold it tight. I will protect you from...all around you.
I will be here don't you cry...
* the rest of the words escaped him as he drifted off to sleep for the night.