Tales of Symphonia Story, Sylvarant Chronicles (1)

Tales of Symphonia Story 44

QUIZ START: "Well then, lets begin." Kratos said. You start to draw your sword "No." the Mercenary said. "You wont use your sword."
"What?!"
"Calm down, calm down." he told you "We are going to work on your concentration, and trust."
"How?"
"Simple. And don't worry, I wont hurt you."
"Huh?" He drew his sword.
"You can't draw your sword. Begin to cast a spell, and I'm going to attack you."
"!?"
"Don't worry. I will stop short, so I wont hurt you. This is like what happened during out last fight." he explained, "I was casting a spell, and a demon attacked me. You didn't get in the way, and cast 'Reflector' until the last minute."
"Oh yeah..."
"Are you ready?" you take a few deep breaths, and began to say the words for fireball.

"Do your best not to move, and try to cast the spell." the Mercenary told you over your slow chanting. In a split second you feel a small brush of wind from the steel of Kratos' sword coming barely a centimeter away from the side of your neck. You stopped your incantation, jumping slightly, "Keep your concentration," Kratos reminded you patiently,
"Right..." you began to chant again. This time the steel brushed against your back, and shoulder. Your body stiffened like a board as you forced yourself to remain still. You stuttered in your incantation, and knew you had to start again. You sighed softly, and began once more. This time the steel of his sword barely misses your throat in a headlong lunge. You quickly yelled out 'Fireball!' as you jumped back. The Mercenary quickly threw up a barrier of mana, Guardian, and wasn't harmed by the attack. You shake your head slowly, sighing weakly, "..."
"Alright." Kratos sheathed his sword, "That's enough." you sink to your knees, catching your breath,
"That was a lot harder than I thought...." the Mercenary nodded,
"It's difficult to cast spells in battle, especially if you're fighting alone." he explained, "You must tune out the world around you, and concentrate on the spell you're trying to cast. Doing such also allows you to cast it quicker."
"I guess I've noticed...whenever Genis casts a spell, his eyes are always closed." Kratos nodded,
"It is far easier to cast spells if you've at least one ally to back you up. I would recommend sticking to physical attacks if you're in a small group."
"Right." you nod. He offered a hand and helped you back to your feet,
"If you're still up for it, I'd be willing to teach you a new spell."
"Alright."

After resting for another minute, Kratos questioned,
"First. What spells do you know?"
"Other than healing?"
"Yes."
"Fireball..." you pause and think, "Hm...that's about it."
"Hm..." he thought for a second. "Simple water and fire spells are the easiest to learn. So, 'Aqua Edge' would be easiest for you now." you nod, listening closely as he explained the basics of the spell and how it should be cast.
"I...think I got it..." you say, after he finished explaining,
"Would you like me to show you?" suggested the Mercenary,
"Yes." you say, nodding.
"All right. Step back." you take a few steps to the side. He started chanting a spell, louder than normal so you could hear the words. After a short time he called "Aqua Edge!" and three crescent shaped blades of water zigzag across the ground, colliding a few yards away. "Alright, Aura. You try."
"Ok." you agree, nodding.

After an hour, the sun was almost done setting. You haven't quite been getting it, either it went the wrong way, sometimes towards the Mercenary, or it would be something completely different. You were left exhausted from using so much mana.
"You can stop if you want." Kratos suggested, it sounded more like he was telling you to stop, rather than suggesting it.
"No." you argue while catching your breath. Push yourself up from where you'd sat on the ground; your legs shook slightly right when you stood. "I'm not going to stop till I get this." Kratos sighed while shaking his head, but reluctantly agreed,
"Just relax and concentrate." you chant the spell one last time,
"Aqua Edge!" three crescent blades of water shoot along the grounds in a zig-zag pattern. You fall back, ignoring the jolt of pain when your tailbone hit the ground. You sigh, completely exhausted due to lack of mana.
"Phew...I finally got it." you sigh. It felt good to be sitting, letting your body rest for a moment,
"It will take much more practice before you're ready to use it in battle. However, this is a good start." Kratos told you. He glanced at the setting sun, "We should go back inside." he turned to leave, but looked back when you didn't stand up. "Aura?" you laugh weakly
"This will sound sad...but I can't stand up." you admit. It was the truth, your legs would probably work yes, but you weren't strong enough to get up on your feet. This is probably what happened when someone used so much of their mana at once. Kratos shook his head slowly, though not in an annoyed, manner,
"Then let me help you." he extended a hand for you to take. You grasp his had firmly, and Kratos pulled you up. He caught you when you stumbled slightly and pulled your arm around his shoulders, his other arm wrapped around your waist securely. Then you two began to head back towards the Thoda Dock, where the others were waiting for you.
"Thank you, Kratos." you thank as you walked,
"You did very well, Aura." he complimented gently, "You grasp the concept of magic easily...perhaps from your use of healing spells."
"Maybe..." you respond. You limped with him so he wouldn't have to carry you the whole way back; he noticed your efforts,
"You don't need to exert yourself further." he assured, "Take it easy."
"Wh-what?" you ask sheepishly, trying to act as though you didn't know what he was talking about,
"You're light. Carrying you is no problem." he explained simply. You blush a light pink, however, you were grateful that the Mercenary didn't notice.